Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rogers Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    SNAP!! Kazaamski, that CD gets played in my car every week just about. Plus I've got the very same Modern Drummer issue that has those Billy Martin pics that have been posted. One very cool drummer.
    I actually hated partido alto the first time i heard it. But then, I "got" it. And man, I was hooked.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Rogers 1964 Catalogue pics.

The Dynasonic..................
    $150.00 in 1964 had the same buying power as $1,048.30 in 2010.

how much is a used dynasonic worth now?
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    how much is a used dynasonic worth now?
    They can be had for under 300 USD. The COB ones anyway. I have seen them up to about 600 for real nice condition ones. The wooden ones go for big money. A couple of grand sometimes.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

someone in my area is selling one for 250, is that a good deal?
    Last edited by gretschfan:); 02-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

ThePloughman Guest

My latest.................

Received it yesterday.

1983 Rogers Superten XP10 All Maple 8x14

User Info Menu

She's a thing of beauty Ploughman!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

very nice Ploughman, how many snares does this make now? just curious
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

ThePloughman Guest

I have 8 of these Big R wood drums.

User Info Menu

Looking at Rogers history, I see at least two different philosophies.

1) Mixed wood maple and poplar 3 or 5 ply

2) "Stadium" shells like maple xp8.

Neither approach or concept was used for yamaha's "resurrected" Rogers. They are simple cheap wood that doesn't begin to approach either formula.

Incidentally, I have heard the 5 ply Rogers (1976) and Xp8 (1978) I thought they sounded good without "rims."

ThePloughman Guest

The closest Rogers came to a resurrection was the brief time the brand was owned by Brooks May. When they lost the brand to Yamaha, that ended the hopes of a resurrection. Brook Mays reintroduced the Beavertail Lug, all maple shells, modern mounting systems, and was looking forward to moving Rogers above being a midlevel competitor. Yamaha took the brand along with all the work that had been done by Brook Mays, and went completely the other direction with it.

User Info Menu

Rogers drums spotters guide.

REAL:

FAKE:
    Last edited by 1986TamaSS; 02-02-2011 at 09:50 AM.

ThePloughman Guest

Those yammy drums sorta suck, a lot. really totally.

Now ......... Dynasonic Tuning Instructions.

First............ Lets get the stuff loose.

I dont know where you tension your heads.
    Here is the Rogers recommended spec. The Dynasonic was designed as a high tensioned snare.

Original heads were a
    Coated Diplomat Top, with Ambassador Snare Side.

A coated ambassador, genera 1, Evans J1 etched, Aquarian texture coated...... are all equiv. heads, in the real world today. Others would work as well, but the drum will perform better with a single ply coated head type than anything else.

Loosen the tension on the top head. Bring it to finger tight with uniform action on your part around the drum. Then ... tension that head on a ten lug pattern using 1/2 turns until you get to 2 full turns of tension.

Snare Side....
    Loosen the tension of the head, then bring all the lugs up to finger tight using a uniform pattern around the drum so that the head sits evenly on the shell. Then... tension that head on a ten lug pattern using 1/2 turns until you get to 2 1/2 turns above the finger tight starting point.

The drum should sound good right here. Check your tension at each lug and adjust to bring tone equivalance around the drum. Little should be necessary. These drums are amazingly accurate for tone at the prescribed tension.

Next...... the frame. Take it off the drum. Check to make sure your snares are in good condition, the epoxy is tight, and the mounting screws are properly tight.

Loosen the Snare Frame Tension screw.... and bring it back up the finger tight, do not force it. The snares should sing on the frame. Do not use a screwdriver on the Snare Tension Frame Screw.
    Engage the throwoff. Set the NO TENSION state of the throwoff to about the mid point of the Throw Off Adjustment knob. Now flip the drum over on its batter side, and CENTER the frame on the head. Tension the strings into the butt first. Then Tension the strings on the retaining screws on the Throwoff side.

Next...... Engage the Throw off and using the Adjustment Knob on the Throw Off, bring it up to the Snare Side head until the snares kiss the head. Tap the drum, when you begin to hear snare sound, adjust just slightly more to completely engage the snares to the bottom head.

Try the drum. You should have great response from edge to center. At any volume level.
    Over adjusting the Throwoff knob does not give you more snare sound, does not tighten the snares......it will only choke the drum, and over time, will result in a dent in the shell at the throw off.

Very little effort should be required to bring the throw off from the disengaged position to fully engaged. The frame will not be tight against the bottom head and you will be able to move it with your finger.

Try this ...... I think it will surprise you. BEFORE you buy new heads. I have a few Dynasonics and Supertens that still have original bottom heads and most have original wires. Some of those are over 40 years old.

User Info Menu

My Picture contribution...

C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

The ones I almost got, minus the Dyna, for the same price.

My favorite drummer, Darren King of MuteMath's Rogers.

The guy is a maniac. Each show starts with him going out on stage, sitting down, duct taping headphones to his head (Because yes, trust me, he ACTUALLY needs them) and just starts tearing it up. Obviously, the guy is my hero.

User Info Menu

And Ploughman, I have my Dyna set up as you explained with a little extra tension on the snare side. I had to modify PureSounds to have a hole in the middle, haha. Sounds like... Yeah. You know how they sound.

User Info Menu

IamNotaTable, nice pics...in one of those pics I see a champagne sparkle in the background..thats my memory of my first Rogers drums from waaaaay back. ty for posting
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I had a Rogers "Studio 10" in New England White set up back in 1977 or so. Aah...memories...
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    And Ploughman, I have my Dyna set up as you explained with a little extra tension on the snare side. I had to modify PureSounds to have a hole in the middle, haha. Sounds like... Yeah. You know how they sound.
    If you could......... please post a pic of your puresound wires off the drum, by themselves. Because if you had to modify the wires for the Dynasonic frame... IE, there was no mounting holes in the wire end plates, those wiresare not correct for a Dynasonic. Dynasonic end plates are a reverse from standard. This is because of how the Dynasonic wires mount to the frame. Standard wires mounted on a dynasonic frame have an over pronounced bow upwards towards the reso head when the frame is mounted on the drum. In order to correct this the snares must be tensioned rather tightly to reduce the bowing effect.

User Info Menu

I remember some years ago Mexico City's downtown music stores where full of Rogers drum kits, I remember one kit in a gig and it had a great sound.

I might get one used as a second kit
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    If you could......... please post a pic of your puresound wires off the drum, by themselves. Because if you had to modify the wires for the Dynasonic frame... IE, there was no mounting holes in the wire end plates, those wiresare not correct for a Dynasonic. Dynasonic end plates are a reverse from standard. This is because of how the Dynasonic wires mount to the frame. Standard wires mounted on a dynasonic frame have an over pronounced bow upwards towards the reso head when the frame is mounted on the drum. In order to correct this the snares must be tensioned rather tightly to reduce the bowing effect.
    I'll post you some pictures tomorrow... Crud man. I totally forgot. Sorry about that! I got another question for the Rogers master... If I have the toms mounted further back on the swivlematic's l-rods, it seems to deaden the sound of the toms. Further down the rods, it resonates beautifully. A much more appealing sound. Problem is, when they're that far down on the l-rods, it makes the toms closer to me. AND it looks kinda funny. Not one to complain about aesthetics, especially on a kit like THIS, but it also messes with playability. Especially with both the rack toms up, like they are now. Is this normal? What should I do? If I switch back to one tom, it's not a big deal, but when I have two up... It's a slight problem.

Not sure if you get what I mean. I'll post pictures tomorrow (I promise) when I wake up. Looking at the time now, that could be around noon. And I'll post the Dynasaur pictures too. (I named it. )

Thanks, expert genius king-of-Rogers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    IamNotaTable, nice pics...in one of those pics I see a champagne sparkle in the background..thats my memory of my first Rogers drums from waaaaay back. ty for posting
    And thanks for commenting! If you're ever in Chi-town, check out Maxwell's Drums. He's also in New York. Amazing collection of vintage gear. You can find his site on Google easy enough.

I too love champagne sparkle. I want to get a C&C Custom kit one day with beavertail lugs and champagne sparkle. It's be beautiful.

ThePloughman Guest

Questions are often asked about where and how serial number sequences align with Rogers Big R drums produced from 1975-84. There was a long standing myth that badge numbers repeated. This is not true. After careful observance of hundreds of drum badges with numbers, and carefully comparing construction of the drums across serial ranges over the past several years, it has been possible to forensically sort out how some of this worked. A careful comparison of drum construction in both toms and snare drums has made this possible. Comparing data from original owners in regards to their numbers, types of drum construction, and purchase dates, allows a more accurate dating of serial number ranges. 'The more drums that are observed, the more accurate is the analysis of how they fit.

Here are a few interesting facts.

After a brief transition period coinciding with the introduction of the Big R foil badge in 1976, badge locations on snare drums moved from the Oval Badge location first panel to the right of the throw off, around the drum to the second panel to the left of the throw off, and the script logo is no longer present on the drum. This is the location in which you see the majority of Big R badges located on Dynasonic COB drums, 2nd panel to the left of the throw off. ALL XP10 ten ply maple drums produced from 1981-84, have the badge located 2nd panel to the left. Dampener is always located in the first panel to the left of the throw off. This was pretty much common knowledge among Rogers collectors.

First generation transition Big R drums all bear 4 to 5 digit foil badges up to about the 15,xxx range. All of these drums have the Big R in the 1st panel to the left, script logo is 2nd panel to the right. Dampeners are always present and are in the first panel to the left of the throw off. There are no drums with six digit numbers that have these characteristics.

Recent observations, and coincidentally quite a few drums have come up for auction within a short time bearing certain characteristic which have been seen before, but no one really made the association these characteristics indicated more than a custom order or a factory accident. Dampener holes, throw off mounting holes, and lug mounting holes, all appear to be prepunched in the brass shell prior to plating. Five Digit numbered badges in a range that starts aprox. in the 17,xxx range, and continues into the 41xxx range, have the Rogers Big R badge and grommet located 2nd panel to the right of the throw off, no script logo, and NO Dampener. I have carefully examined pictures of more than twenty drums, all of which fall into this serial range sequence, and ALL bearing the exact same characteristic. This indicates a second gen transition period for the Big R badged Dynasonic snare drums. I am continuing to watch for five digit Big R badges on five ply drums to further determine this variation exists only on Dynasonics produced in the early Big R period. Some collectors believe these are late produced shells with a serial number range that is way out of sequence, due to cost cutting, lower production numbers, and generally, just using whatever parts were at hand. I do not believe that to be the case.

It has been long stated you could not use the Big R serial numbers to date production of drums, but my observations do not agree with this.

Rogers Superten snare drums.
    First produced in 1972, first appearing in the 1973 catalogue, the Superten was presented as a Chrome over Steel shell, sporting ten Beavertail double ended lugs, standard Rogers ten lug hoops, Rogers Swivomatic Throw off and Butt, a coated Ambassador top with an Ambassador Snare side, available in 5x14 and 6.5x14 sizes. These drums were produced until the close of production in 1984. 1972-75, drums bear the Rogers Superten serial numbered Oval Badge with vent grommet in the first panel to the right of the Throw off, they also have the Rogers script logo located in the second panel to the right of the throw off. With the introduction of the Rogers Big R foil badge in 1975, this did not change. The Big R badge stays in the old location on all 5x14 COS Superten snare drums, regardless of what number is on the Big R badge. I have observed five digit drums, and own two, that have early transition characteristics from 75/76. I have no serial badge drums from 1980-81, which can be solidly dated to those years.
    1975 Superten five digit

I have observed six digit drums from 82-84, which have hardware variations that solidly confirm the dating of the drums, and ALL of these drums have one unique characteristic......... The Bid R badge is still in the old oval badge location and ALL of these drums still have the two mounting screw holes for the oval badge. This suggests that Rogers 5x14 Superten COS drums produced during the Big R period are built on shells ordered druing the late Fullerton oval badge period. This was previously unknown, and was discovered by observing manufacturing variations on drums and comparing numbers. It is confirmed by pictures of Superten snare drums in Rogers catalogues produced from 1975-84 in the USA and Japan.

73, 75, 75, 80 COS 5x14 Superten Snare Drums

Now, the 6.5x14 Superten COS snare drum, is a different story. By1979-80, we do see the Big R badge move to the new location on this drum. Catalogue pics, and drums that have come up for auction reveal this. The size is so rare, I cannot as yet ascertain, and at this point have no real idea...... where this transition falls in regards to serial range.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 12-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Do you, perchance, know as much about 1960's era Rogers serial numbers?

ThePloughman Guest

I do know a fair amount, there is a great deal of information on the web for the 60s and early 70s Rogers. If you have a question, post it, and I will do my best to answer it, or direct you to the best place for it.

User Info Menu

I have a set that through internet research I am pretty sure is 60's era. by the size and shape of the 'g' in the badge.

And this is the tag inside the floor tom.

I just want to know if we can tell by the serial numbers when it was made and anything else about it. Also, if terms of the levels of kits made by Rogers, is this a mid level, beginner level or what?

Thanks for pointing me in whatever direction you can.