Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogers Drums Discussion

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Rogers Drums Discussion

1968 Great drums. Five ply shells. Maple/poplar, mpmpm. Blue Strata Pearl.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I do like them a lot. I got them recently from a guy who was retiring. I'm still trying to find the perfect heads. Right now I'm using Aquarian Modern Vintage and I like them but I'm going to keep tinkering.

Are you sure they're called blue strata pearl?. They look black to me--the photo does not do them justice.

User Info Menu

Do let us know about your head choices. I recently bought a beautiful set from 1975 and I am not really sure I like the Ambassadors the previous owner was using. Budget restrictions (read that: the fool spent too much money on drums) prevent me from experimenting right now. I want the classic rock sound I know these drums are capable of.
    You can always tell a drummer...but you can't tell 'em much.

Stuff:

1975 Rogers Londoner V in Spanish Gold
    Sonor Force 3000 in need of refinishing
    5" and 6.5" Rogers Dynasonic COB snares
    Sabian, Amedia and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
    Do let us know about your head choices. I recently bought a beautiful set from 1975 and I am not really sure I like the Ambassadors the previous owner was using. Budget restrictions (read that: the fool spent too much money on drums) prevent me from experimenting right now. I want the classic rock sound I know these drums are capable of.
    Are the Ambassadors clear or coated? Are they in good condition? What are you using for resonant heads?
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

[quote=fjsjr45;412246]Thank you. I do like them a lot. I got them recently from a guy who was retiring. I'm still trying to find the perfect heads. Right now I'm using Aquarian Modern Vintage and I like them but I'm going to keep tinkering.quote]

Congrats on the Rogers! That was a great find!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Are the Ambassadors clear or coated? Are they in good condition? What are you using for resonant heads?
    They are coated and nearly new. I've been considering Pinstripes but wanted to find out what other folks who play classic rock are using.

Stuff:

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention that the resos are clear Ambassadors.

Stuff:

User Info Menu

For the classic rock sound Aquarian recommends the Performance II heads. I'm after more of a jazz sound so I went with the Vintages. But I may get some Performances at some point to try out. As I said, I'm experimenting.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Rogers! That was a great find!
    I know, I feel pretty lucky. And they're in great shape. The only thing is the guy before me had a soft case for the bass and some tension keys got bent. I found a guy who can make replicates for $50 apiece, which I'll have to wait on. He already fixed a floor tom leg mount which was loose.

ThePloughman Guest

50 each for replica T Rods?....... I will personally pull every one off my kits and sell you the originals for 5 bucks each less. That would be 45 a piece. You would save 50 bux. And I would pay shipping.

What you are paying is ROBBERY!!!!!!!!!

Dont do it. They shouldnt cost more than 5-10 each for originals in pristine condition.

And, NO, I wouldnt sell mine.

User Info Menu

I actually have the same problem, but it's barely noticeable. A couple of mine on the reso side are bent just to the point of being able to notice them when tuning. It doesn't bother me too much so I'm in no hurry to replace them. But Ploughman is once again right, $50 for that is crazy. Maybe for some swiv-o-matic hardware, but for tension rods? No way. Check the bay, usually you can find this stuff there. Not just replicas either.
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 01-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fjsjr45 View Post
    I have a set that through internet research I am pretty sure is 60's era. by the size and shape of the 'g' in the badge.

And this is the tag inside the floor tom.

I just want to know if we can tell by the serial numbers when it was made and anything else about it. Also, if terms of the levels of kits made by Rogers, is this a mid level, beginner level or what?

Thanks for pointing me in whatever direction you can.
    Blue Strata Pearl? Wow, first time I've seen an actual photo of that fnish. Very nice.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    50 each for replica T Rods?....... I will personally pull every one off my kits and sell you the originals for 5 bucks each less. That would be 45 a piece. You would save 50 bux. And I would pay shipping.

What you are paying is ROBBERY!!!!!!!!!

Dont do it. They shouldnt cost more than 5-10 each for originals in pristine condition.

And, NO, I wouldnt sell mine.
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't really looked into it past that. I just figure that if he had to machine them individually that was probably the going price. I know what machine shops charge for stuff.

I'll check around.

User Info Menu

I would like to ask for help in dating one of my Dynasonic snares. The serial number is D708014. 6 1/2" COB Big R. Since I now have two of the same size, I guess I will sell this one and want to offer a potential buyer as much info as I can. Thanks in advance for any help!

Stuff:

User Info Menu

Greets, m8's!

I saw this set advertised, looking for an offer.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't have any serial #'s or info beyond the pic. Don't know if the front bass lugs and hoop are available.Could someone give some info and possible value?

I'll do some research myself but was hoping the community might have a better knowledge base.

Thanks, m8's!

Strider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Greets, m8's!

I saw this set advertised, looking for an offer.

I don't have any serial #'s or info beyond the pic. Don't know if the front bass lugs and hoop are available.Could someone give some info and possible value?

I'll do some research myself but was hoping the community might have a better knowledge base.

Thanks, m8's!

Strider
    I'm going to have to scrutinize and be the 's advocate here.

First, with no front bass drum head I'm sure the bearing edge is shot.
    Second, the bass drum legs are very basic and not up to Rogers quality.
    Third, all the other hardware looks flimsy and in poor condition.
    Fourth, seeing how it is cared for in a basement barely protected from the elements and hardly even on the cardboard, I'd have to guess the shells may not be in the best of condition.

Frankly, without any more information it might be worth $100 USD on a good day.

Other than that, I'd probably pass it up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish!

I was hoping for a critical appraisal and you delivered a good one.

I called the owner who picked them up from Kijiji, thinking he might want to learn to play. It appears the former owner had them repainted from original gray. There are no obvious stickers or serial numbers. No lugs or hoop for the bass. He agreed that those are probably not original bass drum legs.

Think I'll pass. Thanks again, m8!

Strider

ThePloughman Guest

Pass. Those were the import budget line.

You can do far better.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Ploughman!

I thought they were suspect from the picture That's why I sought the advice of my more knowledgable friends here. I gotta give the guy credit to admitting his limited knowledge but This isn't a wise expenditure. Not only that, It's a Dixon snare ( I would have paid his $300 CDN for the lot if it was a Dynasonic) . Caveat Vendor.

It was an interesting exercise to try to ascertain a good deal and I learned a lot of what to look for. I love this Place! Thanks, m8's!

Strider

User Info Menu

It's our pleasure, Strider.

Thanks, Ploughman!
    Signature here

ThePloughman Guest

I just edited my first post in this thread to reflect that I have just published a simple, and concise dating guide for Rogers Big R period drums.

This covers The Dynasonic, and SuperTen Snare Drums, and is good for all bass, toms, floor toms, etc. made by Rogers USA from 1975-1984.

I placed it at the beginning of the thread so that it is easy to find.

Larrysperf Guest

Must say this is amazing thread . Just read it all. Some great great drums here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I just edited my first post in this thread to reflect that I have just published a simple, and concise dating guide for Rogers Big R period drums.

This covers The Dynasonic, and SuperTen Snare Drums, and is good for all bass, toms, floor toms, etc. made by Rogers USA from 1975-1984.

I placed it at the beginning of the thread so that it is easy to find.
    Thank you for your time and efforts Ploughman! There's a lot of great info in that post.
    "it is what it is"

ThePloughman Guest

Post Number 4 Edited for Content and Clarification.
    I will be unable to add any further edits to that post. Its at the 10,000 character limit.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 09-22-2011 at 10:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Differences between a powertone and a dynasonic

What are the differences between a COB Powertone, and a COB Dynasonic? Is it just the snare bridge?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi