Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Rogers Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rogers Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Classy looking kits guys. Black is sharp looking in my opinion.

Tex
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Nice kit I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    DrummerD that thing is beautiful. Very nice.
    Thanks guys. It's hard to believe that I've owned this kit for 30 years now. I don't always gig with it, but it's always I treat when I do.

Here's a pic of the full kit. It's been many years since I've hauled the whole thing to a gig.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I love my Rogers! my dad purchased this Holiday kit back in the 60's and it's been in the family ever since. I only possess the 18" floor tom and 24" bass...my brother has all the other pieces. I break her out every once in a while but not as often as I should

Nice kit Cdeleone. It's really cool that it's been passed down to you and your brother from your dad.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Thanks guys. It's hard to believe that I've owned this kit for 30 years now. I don't always gig with it, but it's always I treat when I do.

Here's a pic of the full kit. It's been many years since I've hauled the whole thing to a gig.
    Really nice. Wish I still had mine. I went with 24" bass drums at the time. I also had mirror resos on them which was cool until people would come up and put their hand and finger prints on them, apparently in amazement. I have that effect on people so I wasn't surprised.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I can't believe I actually found pics....

Here's the kit probably on one of the first gigs I used them.

And after a few additions. Originally it was only a 5pc kit but it grew when gigged. We played 2112 by Rush so there was a valid need to get the equipment to match the demands of the songs.

This shot is classic. My wife and 2 youngest daughters and the mirrored resos.

This is historical by today's standards. No youth and no Rogers. Sigh. This also shows my RotoToms which I have to this day.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I can't believe I actually found pics....

Here's the kit probably on one of the first gigs I used them.

And after a few additions. Originally it was only a 5pc kit but it grew when gigged. We played 2112 by Rush so there was a valid need to get the equipment to match the demands of the songs.

This shot is classic. My wife and 2 youngest daughters and the mirrored resos.

This is historical by today's standards. No youth and no Rogers. Sigh. This also shows my RotoToms which I have to this day.

Great pics Bish!

Gotta love the 80's mustache

User Info Menu

Awesome Bish.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Great pics Bish!

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Awesome Bish.
    Haahaa, yeah.

Thanks guys.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Great pics Bish!

...and the mullet...

User Info Menu

...and the mullet...
    Not a mullett. It covers my ears.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Really nice. Wish I still had mine. I went with 24" bass drums at the time. I also had mirror resos on them which was cool until people would come up and put their hand and finger prints on them, apparently in amazement. I have that effect on people so I wasn't surprised.
    Nice pics Bish and thank you. Man, those 24's must have sounded thunderous!
    ...and the mirror resos probably looked sweet on stage and under lights. They obviously did the trick being that everyone was mesmerized by them. LOL

I contemplated selling mine just a few years ago so that I could buy a different kit. Well, that was the initial plan anyway. Instead, I first bought the second kit and then decided that I couldn't part with my Rogers after the fact. The wife wasn't to pleased at first, but she got over it eventually.
    They were my first "real" drum kit that I worked hard for and bought when I was 18. So, I'm somewhat attached to them.

Question, did you remove the bottom rims/heads and tension rods and make them into concert toms? The first pic shows bottom heads and rims, but the other pics do not. Just curious. I'd like to get a Big R 10" tom with top and bottom heads, but they are very rare. I see 10" concert toms (1975-76) for sale once in awhile and wonder if one of those could be converted into a dual head tom. Just a thought.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Nice pics Bish and thank you. Man, those 24's must have sounded thunderous!
    ...and the mirror resos probably looked sweet on stage and under lights. They obviously did the trick being that everyone was mesmerized by them. LOL

I contemplated selling mine just a few years ago so that I could buy a different kit. Well, that was the initial plan anyway. Instead, I first bought the second kit and then decided that I couldn't part with my Rogers after the fact. The wife wasn't to pleased at first, but she got over it eventually.

They were my first "real" drum kit that I worked hard for and bought when I was 18. So, I'm somewhat attached to them.

Question, did you remove the bottom rims/heads and tension rods and make them into concert toms? The first pic shows bottom heads and rims, but the other pics do not. Just curious. I'd like to get a Big R 10" tom with top and bottom heads, but they are very rare. I see 10" concert toms (1975-76) for sale once in awhile and wonder if one of those could be converted into a dual head tom. Just a thought.
    When I bought the add-ons they were concert toms and I just wanted them all to look the same. I was using Evans hydraulics (Blue) or the (yellow) weave heads (can't remember what they are called) but were bullet proof. The kit was very dead for micing purposes at the time so bottom heads weren't a big deal to me during that era. Good eye, btw.

Your story and mine are very similar but at the time when I sold mine was when I was getting heavy into gigging with several bands and didn't want to start breaking anything that wasn't replaceable.

It was hard to finally sell them but at that time I also didn't have extra funds to own more than one kit and never even thought about owning multiple kits until many years later. I think I sold them in the early 90's.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

just found this snare+ stand at the thrift store for $20 bucks. I can tell that it is not a very high end snare (obviously by the Made in Taiwan badge) but I didnt think i could go wrong for 20 bucks, I wanted another stand any way.

It was pretty dirty, I took it apart to clean it up, the resonant head was the equivalent of cellophane wrap in terms of thickness, and it still had a Rogers branded batter head. Anyone have any info on the year of this?

User Info Menu

^

Pretty sure that's a late model 'Rogers' that Yamaha had branded as a budget line. The only thing it shares with the vintage stuff is the name. Any real Rogers drums were made in the USA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jay-red View Post
    just found this snare+ stand at the thrift store for $20 bucks. I can tell that it is not a very high end snare (obviously by the Made in Taiwan badge) but I didnt think i could go wrong for 20 bucks, I wanted another stand any way.

It was pretty dirty, I took it apart to clean it up, the resonant head was the equivalent of cellophane wrap in terms of thickness, and it still had a Rogers branded batter head. Anyone have any info on the year of this?

From what I can tell, it looks like a Rogers (Yamaha) Trailblazer or Prospector series snare from around 2009 or later. I'm not 100% certain, but it does look fairly new. I'm basing my assumption on an article I saw and a pic that they had. However, The snare construction & color seem to conflict with the series. This doesn't surprise me. There's been a lot of confusion when it comes to Rogers drums and the different series and origins since the mid to late 70's when the company/brand was moved overseas. Again, this is just my best guesstimate.

Here's the article:

The first new Trailblazer Drum Set will be available with a 20-in. bass drum, 10-in. and 12-in. toms, a 14-in. floor tom and a matching 14-in. wood snare drum. The second Trailblazer set will come with a 24-in. bass drum, a 12-in tom, a 16-in. floor tom and a 14-in. x 6.5-in. 10-lug steel snare drum. The new Prospector configuration includes an 18-in. bass drum, 12-in tom, 14-in floor tom and a 14-in. matching wood snare drum.

Along with these new sizes, Rogers will offer three new eye-catching finishes: Brushed Copper will be added to the Trailblazer Series,

"it is what it is"

User Info Menu

When I bought the add-ons they were concert toms and I just wanted them all to look the same. I was using Evans hydraulics (Blue) or the (yellow) weave heads (can't remember what they are called) but were bullet proof. The kit was very dead for micing purposes at the time so bottom heads weren't a big deal to me during that era. Good eye, btw.

Your story and mine are very similar but at the time when I sold mine was when I was getting heavy into gigging with several bands and didn't want to start breaking anything that wasn't replaceable.

It was hard to finally sell them but at that time I also didn't have extra funds to own more than one kit and never even thought about owning multiple kits until many years later. I think I sold them in the early 90's.
    Hey Bish, sorry for not responding to your post sooner. Between being sick, travelling for work, gigging and the family, I missed this one.
    Regarding heads, I used the Evans Blue Hydraulics on my kit back in the 80's as well...and they were bullet proof as you stated. I noticed the difference between dbl head toms and single head (concert) toms because I've been looking for a 7 x 10" Big R (Dbl head) tom to add to my kit. I never had a tom smaller than a 12" up until a few years ago when I acquired my Pearl kit. I really like the higher pitch and the 10, 12, 14, 16 "fast" configuration. However, as you probably already know, Rogers didn't make a 10" Dbl head tom back then. They only made concert toms in that size. As a result, I've been looking at my options on how to get a 10", and one of my options is to convert a concert tom into a Dbl head tom. So, I've been looking at a lot of Big R toms over the past year.
    Sorry that you had to part with your kit. I'm sure that it wasn't an easy decision, but you did what you had to do and what made sense at that time. You know, you can still get a similar kit on ebay.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

I went to a Pawn Shop and found a 4pc Rogers (Script badge) black kit with 12x8, 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14 kick for $199. The only issue is that the Rogers mounts were removed in lieu of added Yamaha mounts and modern bass spurs were added. I'm fighting the strong urge to go and buy that kit! If purchased, I'd remove those Yamaha mounts on the rack toms and add STM mounts. 'm really fighting the urge to go buy that kit. LOL
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Wow $199 I think I would surrender to the voice telling me to buy

User Info Menu

+1! Go grab that set!! N

User Info Menu

Don't fight the urge... just do it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    I went to a Pawn Shop and found a 4pc Rogers (Script badge) black kit with 12x8, 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14 kick for $199. The only issue is that the Rogers mounts were removed in lieu of added Yamaha mounts and modern bass spurs were added. I'm fighting the strong urge to go and buy that kit! If purchased, I'd remove those Yamaha mounts on the rack toms and add STM mounts. 'm really fighting the urge to go buy that kit. LOL
    Sounds almost identical to my Fullerton kit. Is there a tag inside the shells that says "9/72"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Sounds almost identical to my Fullerton kit. Is there a tag inside the shells that says "9/72"?
    Yeah that tag was in the drums.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Found a pic of a Rogers kit I had back in the late 70's. I think this was 1978

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

Watch your step! Is that riser really two folding tables pulled together?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

Wow...that was a long time ago. I graduated high school in '78 and I'm old....

User Info Menu

Wow...that was a long time ago. I graduated high school in '78 and I'm old....
    LOL..I graduated in '65! And later bought a 1970 Rogers 360 3 pc.in blue strata(?). Anybody remember those MIJ?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/