Thread: Snare Wires

User Info Menu

Default Snare Wires

Any of you ever tried different snare wires on the bottom of your snare? Even though I've played for many years, it's never really interested me to experiment with this. I know there's a company out there like PureSound that specialize in just snare wires. You can get all kinds of different set ups for snare wires.

User Info Menu

like you, i never really messed with the snare wires or gave them much thought. the tama g maple i got a couple months ago came with grover straight copper wires. it was the first time i ever used anything other than the standard steele ones. i didnt like em. thought it was too dry of a sound and 2 of the wires broke within a month of regular gigging. by recomendation i spent a little extra and got the standard puresounds, i like em but dont notice a whole lot of dif from any other standard wires.

User Info Menu

Yea, I think it may be a bit overated but I'm interested in getting other opinions/experiences.

User Info Menu

I've never tried different snare wires, just use standard steel ones. hmm now im curious if it would make a difference if i changed em hahahaha

User Info Menu

I use the DW™ Tru-Tone 22-strand snare wires. I think as long as it is well-made, snare wires are pretty much snare wires....more strands will give you a bit more "snap" snare sound, less strands will lean more toward a tom sound (although without sounding like a tom - does that make sense?)
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Wires

I ordered the Grover jazz light snare wires for my Ayotte snare. They are awesome. It makes it in to a whole new instrument. They are not as loud, not as buzzy, and have less sympathetic resonance. They have a lighter, whispy sound. They let the resonance of the shell come out a bit more, but they are very responsive. The brass ones have a deeper tone, the steel ones have a brighter tone, and they come in different weights. I highly recommend them.