Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping drums in a cold place

User Info Menu

Default keeping drums in a cold place

Hi,
    Does anyone know if cold weather can affect a drumset in a bad way if it is being kept in a garden shed? (its probably around 30 degrees outside)thanx

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: keeping drums in a cold place

Its not gonna go well for your drums.

Rust on metal
    Cracking on wrap
    Checking in lacquer
    Dampness in the shells
    Delamination of the plies
    In general.......you will regret this.

If you arent comfortable sleeping there, neither are your drums.

User Info Menu

You want to keep your drums in a area with steady environment. You should find some place (maybe your closet) that has a constant room temp. The rule of thumb is, if it is uncomfortable for you,it is not good for the drums. Make sure you give your cymbals time to get used to the inside before playing them. Cold metal is more brittle=more prone to crack.
    Wood expands and contracts and will eventually warp. That being said the real issue is not as much the actual temperature but the rate of change, you can do more harm to a shell by having it cold and turning the heater on and changing the temperature to quickly. Lacquer finishes can crack with rapid the expansion and contraction of the shells.

User Info Menu

Ditto on what ThePloughman and TxDrummer said. Drums were not meant to be stored outside or even in a garage for that matter. Surely the road to ruin for them.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Think of your drums as yourself, you would not enjoy being out in a shed.

Maybe consider renting a studio with temperature control

User Info Menu

I used to love spending time in my shed when I was with the first wife!! Guess me and my drums are now spoiled eh!! lol

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Well, you've already gotten the best advise, so I'll just say welcome to Drum Chat ddrummer613.

Oh, and nice signature line Rat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've kept my drums in the boot of our Gig Mobile for the entire winter, and the temperatures have been below -30C (-22F). So far the satin waxed buggers haven't suffered in any way, and I've seen no rust in the hardware. Wrapped or lacquered shells and wet conditions are of course another matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I've kept my drums in the boot of our Gig Mobile for the entire winter, and the temperatures have been below -30C (-22F). So far the satin waxed buggers haven't suffered in any way, and I've seen no rust in the hardware. Wrapped or lacquered shells and wet conditions are of course another matter.
    Yup. Cold temperatures wouldn't bother me near as bad as
    a moisture prone situation... Excessive heat- Yeah, BIG ol'
    problem. I'm in a little bit of the same boat with the building
    I'm in. It's not temperature controlled by any means and
    the heat/cooling only comes into play when I get in the
    place for the most part. Now I don't just walk up and
    start blastin' away on 'em. Don't have a throne warmer..!
    Sure a shame any equipment gets exposed either way.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

My gears are all in my garage. They are safe as long as they are in their cases and I always wrap them with old blankets. Never have any issues at all.

Jojo

User Info Menu

Any temp below freezing (-32degree fahrenheit ) is just bad for FINISHED wood products! And welcome to the chat!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I keep my drums in the garage, and I am now wondering if it is a bad idea. My garage is a finished garage, but there isnt any heat/air out there. How bad is it really? The temp is a good 30 degrees warmer in winter, and cooler in summer. They get played daily out there.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

I have my drums set up in a shed ( bunkie) 8 x12 insulated and heated at the same room tempeature set at 40 during the winter. I don't have to tune the drums as much because there is not much different temperature changes in there. So I agree the drums would not be happy in a colder environment .

User Info Menu

i always thought it was like guitars and its only if there is a lot of changes in temperature because of the expanding and contracting that causes the problems?
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Humidity is a factor too sheoth, and the most important thing is how long you want your drums to last. If you want your drums to be with you a long time, or if you want to care for them so that they have good resale value later, then protecting them from extremes of temperatures is important. Over time, the extremes will work on the wood and the glue, and if you factor in humidity then the hardware is at risk as well. Of course, this is all over time, and assumes that the kit is not protected in any way (either stacked, or set up).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

One major downfall to storing anything in an outdoors shelter, is that its prone to varmit damage, mice, rats what have you. Having live and being around sheds, barns an such, that's one of the biggest damage inflicting hazards of un controlled storage not to mention fluxuating temps and moisture.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I agree with everyone else that said dont do it.

Extreme heat / humidty and cold temps are not good for drums. You shouldnt kep the in the garage, basement or attic unless you dont care about your set.

Welcome to the board 613.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Humidity is a factor too sheoth, and the most important thing is how long you want your drums to last. If you want your drums to be with you a long time, or if you want to care for them so that they have good resale value later, then protecting them from extremes of temperatures is important. Over time, the extremes will work on the wood and the glue, and if you factor in humidity then the hardware is at risk as well. Of course, this is all over time, and assumes that the kit is not protected in any way (either stacked, or set up).
    ah ok then mines not exposed to humidity they are currently stored at the practice rooms i go to so they seem ok there :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

The rims on my old kit are now speckled with small dots of rust and the foot plate on my kick snapped (brittle is absolutely right!). They were not kept in cases, lots of reasons, no excuses just myself to blame. Unless you really have no choice (like me) don't keep them in the shed.
    By the way my "shed" is brick built and insulated.

User Info Menu

Question Re: keeping drums in a cold place

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    The rims on my old kit are now speckled with small dots of rust and the foot plate on my kick snapped (brittle is absolutely right!). They were not kept in cases, lots of reasons, no excuses just myself to blame. Unless you really have no choice (like me) don't keep them in the shed.
    By the way my "shed" is brick built and insulated.
    If your shed is brick and insulated then there has to be something that contributed to your rims to show rust and you kick plate snapping. Is there lots of air going into the building through windows or doors. My shed is well insulated and my kit has been set up there now for 5 years and not a spec of rust etc. I have a oil filled heater that set a 40 during the winter. Summer heat and humidity does not seem to be a problem either. Maybe my shed is air tight with the windows opened about 1/4 inch during the hot days.

User Info Menu

I keep my drums in San Diego just to be safe...

User Info Menu

thanx 4 all your responses and warm welcomes

User Info Menu

Hi ddrummer613! I keep my kit in the garage as well. It's a fully finished garage with R36 insulation in the ceiling and the walls of the garage are finished with sheet rock, textured and painted.

When my acoustic drums are not played, I keep a nylon cover from my camping awning over them as pictured above. I live in Northern California where the girls are warm (a line from a Steve Miller tune BTW), as well as the weather.

No snow here and today it's 46 degree F. and sunny!

Welcome to DrumChat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    If your shed is brick and insulated then there has to be something that contributed to your rims to show rust and you kick plate snapping. Is there lots of air going into the building through windows or doors. My shed is well insulated and my kit has been set up there now for 5 years and not a spec of rust etc. I have a oil filled heater that set a 40 during the winter. Summer heat and humidity does not seem to be a problem either. Maybe my shed is air tight with the windows opened about 1/4 inch during the hot days.
    Pearl its a fair point - I wouldn't say its air tight as I have a small window problem and no heating (yet). To be fair the kit was second hand (at least three owners from new) and I had to replace a couple of the skins as it had been abused before. I have not seen any obvious warping so the replacement of the dodgy rims and a new pedal & it should be right as rain.
    [Pardon the pun]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hi ddrummer613! I keep my kit in the garage as well. It's a fully finished garage with R36 insulation in the ceiling and the walls of the garage are finished with sheet rock, textured and painted.

When my acoustic drums are not played, I keep a nylon cover from my camping awning over them as pictured above. I live in Northern California where the girls are warm (a line from a Steve Miller tune BTW), as well as the weather.

No snow here and today it's 46 degree F. and sunny!

Welcome to DrumChat!
    Late8 Love what you've done with your garage ... thinking about doing the plasterboard thing to my shed ... makes it look so much better ... though what are the acoustics like? A lot of bounce back with the flat walls?