Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snare drums

User Info Menu

Cool Snare drums

Wood or metal - which do you prefer and why? Which size and why?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

WOOD, WOOD, WOOD.....metal-shelled snare drums are a bit too harsh sounding for me, not enough warmth and tonality (but I think that's a bit of personal preference). I like my snare drum....5x14 maple shell, although I am very interested in trying a DW™ Edge snare drum...it's part metal shell, part wood shell....the idea is, you get the attack and clarity of a metal-shell snare along with the warmth and tonality of a wooden shell....there are wooden inserts you place between the metal parts, and you can vary the depth of the wooden inserts to change the sound and pitch of the drum, like this....

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I agree with BTG on this one. Wood is the only way to go. I have a 14" x 5.5" and 10" x 6" wood snares on my kit and I would'nt change a thing. Wood snares sound just so much warmer.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Wood, metal snares just have that high ringing sound that doesn't suit my style
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

i agree with the wood. Mmmmmmmmmmmaple.

User Info Menu

i prefer the wood too because of the sound it produces. i play on a birch wood snare atm.

User Info Menu

i like both depending on the situation, i gig with a 5x14 pearl brass freefloater aswell as a 6x14 tama g maple. brass for the cracking ringing funky sounding stuff and the thick maple drum for thicker deeper backbeat rock.

User Info Menu

I play wood snare for punk, and a brass piccolo snare for metal - it really cuts through, sounds snappy and aggressive.

I've been thinking of picking up a new snare. Maybe something deeper, like an 8 incher or something. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

pearls vinnie paul model (14x8 all maple) sounds huge. possibly the perfect power metal snare. now if it wasnt so damn ugly. they just released the same drum with normal lugs and finish in the masters line due to the demand for that size without the cheesy spikes and snakeskin.

User Info Menu

I'd personally like to get a 14x5 DW Edge, as well as a second snare drum a MARCHING SNARE!
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

nah, if im gonna get an edge i want the 7x13. that drum is soooooo bada$$.
    it is def in the top 3 list of snares to buy.

User Info Menu

Good steel snares are expencive. I love wood piccalo's and popcorn snares. The popcorns are so underrated and should be in more bands!

User Info Menu

Wood for me, but I also really love the sound of a good brass snare drum as well, I just really love snare drums, every snare drum has a different voice, different characteristics to them, that my take.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drums

Wood
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I like wood for it's warmth. Metal has too much of a ring for me.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

i've only ever played wood snares, but would like to give a metal snare a try.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

My 13x5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple snare has been my main "to-go-to" item for about 4-5 years now. At a medium to medium low tension, it has a nice body of sound when recording.....cranked up for live and it's rimshots just pop. However, another sort of material no-one's yet mentioned is acrylic. I have a auxillary snare on the left, a tiny 8x6" snare custom made for me by a mate, Nick Pansini. I had it made for that high-pitched crank you hear in drum'n'bass and dub....also, I sometimes set up a lil'8" mini timbale and a cowbell next to it for some Latin colour.....the snare's tuned at a pitch where it's timbale-like when you switch the snares off.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I like wood drums a lot, but would be interested in playing some hand hammered brass snares and different depths as well. F/T

User Info Menu

Wood...no, brass...no wait maple....ok, brass again...

I gigged with my 13" Black Panther Maple snare last night and it was AMAZING. Typically, I will use my Luddy Black Magic as my primary drum, depending on the venue.

User Info Menu

I like metal snare drums, especially hammered metal because it tones down the high-pitched ring a little. I have two hammered metal snares, a 14x6.5 brass and a 13x3.5 steel. They're both really different and I love both of them. I also have my wood (birch) Tama Superstar 14x5.5 that I use from time to time but I always find myself coming back to the metal snares.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I like metal snares, cuz that's what I got.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Metal snares for me
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

ThePloughman Guest

I have wood, brass, and steel.

User Info Menu

Just heard a 13x6.5 steel Joey Jordison snare, and now must have it. Im not even a Slipknot fan but i love this snare's sound.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I'm still at the stage where I am experimenting with a lot of different sounds, so I have aluminum alloy shell, wood (Maple, Cherry/Maple, and Cherry) shells in various sizes, and now a brass shell. I enjoy them all, and I hope to find the key to utilizing them in the right situations.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!