Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little tuning help please!

User Info Menu

Default A little tuning help please!

Guys,

I just bought some new heads for my kit last week. Picked up some Evans EC2. I'm having a hard time getting the floor toms to sound good. They've got a warble or a bit of distortion to them. I really hated them...but when I took them to band practice they sounded decent in the mix.

I've only ever used Hydraulics on my kit previous to this. And, of course, those are really easy to tune. I just went to where they didn't have any wrinkles in them anymore and they were great.

You guys have any tips to get these to sound a little better?

Also changed my main rig set up to the way my practice kit is...small tom on a snare stand. Ditched my 2nd mounted tom.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A little tuning help please!

I'd say the heads are too loose. The only head that should be just above wrinkles is on the bass drum. For toms, once you start tuning the batter/reso tighter, the drums really start to come to life.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    I'd say the heads are too loose. The only head that should be just above wrinkles is on the bass drum. For toms, once you start tuning the batter/reso tighter, the drums really start to come to life.
    I took them (both floors) up pretty high and I couldn't get the sound to go away. My small tom sounds pretty good. But the floors are giving me trouble. Do you seem to tune your heads pretty tight? I'd say I was 3 or 4 full turns up from finger tight before I went back down.

User Info Menu

Its a balancing act. If you have time I'd suggest tuning the batter a little tighter than you are used to, and from there playing with the reso head. Once you figure out what brings the best out of your drum, you will be impressed.

User Info Menu

Its a balancing act. If you have time I'd suggest tuning the batter a little tighter than you are used to, and from there playing with the reso head. Once you figure out what brings the best out of your drum, you will be impressed.
    I guess I was just afraid of going too high.

User Info Menu

Have you ever tried Remo clear Pinstripes or coated Pinstripes?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I'd suggest tuning the batter of the floor tom higher than you usually do and keeping the reso loose...that gives me a nice low thump with great attack.
    Matt

User Info Menu

My 2 cents is break in time, I am always unsatisfied with new heads until I beat them and tune them a few times. JMHO.

User Info Menu

One saying is "Batter for feel, reso for resonance"..i.e. the deep tone. Problems can arise when they are too far out of sync of one another. A slightly tighter batter (way tighter than wrinkle stage) gives a nice playing feel and you can work with the reso. I am always surprised how much you can change a drum sound working with the reso only. EC2 have a dampening ring so cut out some of the overtones you get. Like others I also found the sound I hear from tuning at the kit is different than what is 'out there' recorded. Maybe record only yourself and the tom, to tune to where you want it?

User Info Menu

Did you check the reso bearing edges for debris before you put on the new batter heads? I had to swap out my old Remo clear Ambass. batter heads back to my never before used stock batter heads from Pearl since I'm broke due to Christmas and I was surprised how much lint and debris had collected underneath the reso heads. After a dusting off of the lint and debris, the floor toms came back to life and made the tuning much easier.

Just a thought.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    My 2 cents is break in time, I am always unsatisfied with new heads until I beat them and tune them a few times. JMHO.
    + one hundred and fifty gazillion...

User Info Menu

When I had my EC2s on I tried tuning the batters higher than reso, the same as and lower than, my personal preference was to tune the batters lower than the reso head. I tune to notes and although I cant remember what notes I tuned to I tuned the reso a minor 3rd above the batter and I loved the sound compared to the other tunings I had tried, I only switched as I had used them for 7 or 8 months and I wanted to try something different.

Also EC2s do give a slightly lower tone than other heads that are tuned to the same tension so you may have to tune higher than you have done previously and it will also depend on the resos you are using, I used EC Reso when I was using EC2s.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Thanks guys...I'll give this stuff a shot. You guys are the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey Street Band (JSB) View Post
    When I had my EC2s on I tried tuning the batters higher than reso, the same as and lower than, my personal preference was to tune the batters lower than the reso head. I tune to notes and although I cant remember what notes I tuned to I tuned the reso a minor 3rd above the batter and I loved the sound compared to the other tunings I had tried, I only switched as I had used them for 7 or 8 months and I wanted to try something different.

Also EC2s do give a slightly lower tone than other heads that are tuned to the same tension so you may have to tune higher than you have done previously and it will also depend on the resos you are using, I used EC Reso when I was using EC2s.
    I'm using Evans Reso Glass.

User Info Menu

I have EC2's clear on all my toms and I love the sound. My toms are all tuned in the same matter. After finger tight I give them all between a 1/4 to 1/2 turn till I get the lowest possible pitch or tone and then tap all lugs to the same pitch. Reso are the same as the top but I will give them an extra 1/4 turn. Forgot to mention my reso are Ambassadors. The sound of my toms just sing out loud and warm.

User Info Menu

sounds exactly like my approach. I found the reso side tuned just a hair ( 1/8 - 1/4 ) creates a FULL, big, even toned sound. I will continue to experiment. My problem was my lack of experience playing drums challenged my ears to " hear " drums. My kit sounds better now then it did a year ago when I was new to drumming. I think this is because my ears werent used to drums in general.

dave0549jv Guest

Just in case you havent seen them already, Bob Gatzen has some really helpful tuning guide videos on youtube. I'm no tuning wiz, but those have helped me a lot. I was always afraid of tuning too high and breaking something, but i was actually way too low. Those heads can take a lot more tension and punishment than i would have thought.

User Info Menu

If you the time. Stretch those heads for 24 hrs. then tune them down to the desired tone you want.
    I know this attached video is the bass drum, but it still cracks me up when I watch Simon bounce on it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGA1YgQ6zw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGA1YgQ6zw[/ame]

User Info Menu

A lot of people tune heads way too low. They will still sound good when both batter/reso are tuned low, but to really bring out the characteristics of your shells, tune those heads up and listen to the resonance.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: A little tuning help please!

A lot of people tune heads way too low. They will still sound good when both batter/reso are tuned low, but to really bring out the characteristics of your shells, tune those heads up and listen to the resonance.
    This is the way most of us tune our drums lowest pitch to get the deep warm sound of our drums. I have tried to tighten the heads more and I get a boingy sound and hate it. I am not disagreeing with you if tighter heads is you sound then good but most of us like em a little looser.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I'd suggest tuning the batter of the floor tom higher than you usually do and keeping the reso loose...that gives me a nice low thump with great attack.
    +1
    Exactly how I tune my floor toms with the EC2s.

User Info Menu

I like my toms tuned a little lower too. Especially my 16 x 16 to get that deep growling sound. In my opinion they still sing though.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

I'm giving up on these EC2s. I hate them. I just can't get a nice sound out of them. Might just put my old hydraulics back on. I'm so frustrated.

User Info Menu

Try a new reso, I prefer to use "deadhead" combinations on floor toms as some would call them. Due to the depth of most floor toms, they naturally have a fair bit of sustain to contend with. I have found using a 2ply ring'd head such as pinstripe or ec2 with a 2ply non-ring'd head such as g2 or emp can control and reshape the natural tonalities and give me a more satisfying result. Thicker heads tend to get in tune faster anyway.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

ddrumman2004 Guest

For what it's worth, I have never got a decent sound with any Evans head. Maybe it's just me.
    On my Pearl Masters Custom Extra kit, I get the best sounds with the stock heads that came on the kit...clear Remo Ambassadors. I have tried Pinstripes, regular coated Ambassadors, coated Evans G2 heads.....but always go back to clear Ambassadors.

On my Export kit, clear Pinstripes work the best.

I have used Remo heads since high school....back in the late 60s....and they always seemed to work best for me. Good luck with your tuning!