Thread: Bttom skins on the toms/snare

User Info Menu

Cool Bttom skins on the toms/snare

I've been around durms for a little while now, but in all that time I've never bothered to pay attention to the skin at the bottom of the toms/snare. How important is this skin compared with the head? Should you change it regulary? Would it make the kit sound better if it was a higher quality (like Remo or EVans) as opposed to the standard one from the manufacturer? How do you decide what would be a suitable skin?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Resonant (bottom) heads make a huge difference in the sound of the drum, and yes, a higher-quality head, such as Remo or Evans, will definitely sound much better than the manufacturer's stock heads. Most manufacturers put crap heads on their kits as stock (except DW...they have heads made specially for them by Remo), and the best thing you can do after buying a new kit is change the heads. Now, what heads to use is personal preference, depending on the sound you're looking for...some prefer Remo, some prefer Evans, some prefer Aquarian, some prefer single-ply heads, some prefer two-ply heads....it's entirely up to you.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

If I wanted that deep sort of metal sound, what heads would recomend? Both top and bottom? Any particular reason?

User Info Menu

Well, how deep of a sound you're going to get depends a lot on tuning as well......personally, I like Remo heads....besides my DW kit, I also have an old Pearl Export kit, and I have Remo Pinstripes (two-ply heads) on the batters and Remo Ebony heads on the resonant side, and they THUNDER......they sound pretty damn good for an old crappy Export kit, if I do say so myself.

Which heads you choose is a matter of personal preference.....look around, talk to guys with each kind, and more importantly, LISTEN to each kind and choose the heads you prefer.

User Info Menu

cheers bigtall. I have a pretty crappy kit, but am thinking that a few little alterations here and there could get some decent sound quality out of it. This helps, thanks.

WOuldn't have any advice on dampening the amount of reverb and resonance would you? I have my kit in a failry echoey sort of place, so it makes it sound very reverby and echoey, and i'm also trying to figure out a way to cut this down. any advice?

User Info Menu

You can use Evans or Remo O-rings that sit on top of the batter head. They dampen pretty well without making your toms go "thud". Moongels work pretty well too. With Moongels, you can add or subtract pieces to find the sound you like, but I always find them to be in my way. I use Remo pinstripes on both top and bottom heads and O-rings and my Pearl ELX kit has a great metal sound.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

The Remo Pinstripes, being a two-ply head, will offer some dampening in and of themselves...but I agree with 1DB here, use some O-Rings for more dampening. Personally, I don't use any dampening at all on my drums, unless a particular tom rings in a particular room, then I dampen as needed.