Thread: New Drummer.

User Info Menu

Talking New Drummer.

Hello guys!

Been plowing through these forums for 3 days or so now, decided this should be my first post to the community. Had a passion for drumming for a couple of years now - used to tap out songs on the dining room table when the radio was playing; drove my parents nuts but I loved it. Was in a local music shop and they had some cheap sticks for like £2.50, picked them up and ripped up a couple of phone books and an Argos catalogue. Got a small piece of rubber to use as a practise pad and have been in love since.

I'm a full time student getting ready for college and don't have much money so can't afford music tuition - attempting to be self taught. Obviously leading me to wondering a few things as the internet can only help so much and isn't tailored to anyones specific needs. My left hand/arm is completely defunct in comparison to my right one, doing nothing. So this leads me to my first question.

Is there anything I can do to build up speed/strength and confidence with my left hand?

I have looked around for a drumkit for a while, but after looking around, I realised I wasn't sure what to look for. I've seen Mapex Tornado II/III's - Mapex's starter range for £249 with Mapex Cymbals and Hardware. Some people said this was the sort of thing I wanted.
    Others contrary to this recommended I find a kit on eBay with better quality stands and Cymbals. Leading to my second question.

What would you recommend I do for my first kit?

And final question, I really struggle with rolls of anykind; be it single stroke doublestroke or around the kit (Probably something to do with the defunct left hand).

Is there any tips you would give from your experience as to how you would go about getting better at this?

Thanks if you could be bothered reading all that

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer.

I'll take the last one: Read this forum, there's a ton of information here.

Welcome to Drum Chat Aaaidn!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, A! Drumming is something the everyone can be happy doing. Don't worry to much about your defunct left hand as it will eventually begin to work for you along the way. For now, you shouldn't have any problems playing 90% of whats on the radio. For these, your left hand is only responsible for hitting the snare on 2 and 4. Regarding the drum set. You just need the basics:
    1. 1-Bass Drum with a decent pedal
    2. 1-Snare Drum with a stand
    3. 1-Mounted Tom and 1-Floor Tom
    4. 1-Hi-hat cymbals with stand.
    5. 1-Ride cymbal with stand.
    6. a few pairs of drum sticks.
    I recommend looking for used gear. Its cheaper and if you ever decide to not play anymore, it didn't hurt the pocket book very much.
    Good luck !

User Info Menu

Thanks alot for the welcome Drummer.

Thanks alot also to Nio.
    One problem I've found is that I don't like 100% of all music on the radio :D
    and yes, but the cheapest second hand kit I've seen was around £50 more than a new Mapex Tornado and doesn't come with throne sticks and was covered in pits. Also I wouldn't know where to start with tuning and replacing heads, so If I got it new I could get it delivered and set up?

Is there anything awfully wrong with starter kits?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Aaaidn!

One thing you might do is make sure you are gripping your sticks properly. There are plenty of resources here that can help you to make sure you are starting with good technique (Drum lessons).

You can also do repetitive single and double strokes with your left hand to work it out and make it stronger. Drumming skills are formed by repitition, because you are forming neural pathways and creating muscle memory. It simply takes time, so don't be discouraged - and when you are (yes, we all go through it), just come here and vent, or ask questions. We'll encourage you and help you through the tough moments.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Aaadin! Good to have you here! Thanks for sharing your passion with us!

User Info Menu

Thanks again Pastor_bob, I haven't stopped practising. I'm driving my mum nuts.

I'm willing to give it time.

And once again, thanks for the warm welcome.

*edit* late8 thanks alot for the welcome, just seen you pop up before me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Is there anything awfully wrong with starter kits?
    Even starter sets can be made to sound decent with the right heads. If that is what you can afford, then go get started. On the other hand, a used intermediate kit can give you better quality with more stable tuning. It all depends on what you can afford/what is available. Let us know which way you are going and we will certainly help with suggestions on heads.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Well pastor_bob my budget is around £300-400. If I got the £249 Tornado or something of a similar price How much would I be looking at for a set of heads? Of Decent-ish quality.

User Info Menu

Does the Tornado come with hardware, drummer throne, and cymbals? If you have all that, I would suggest that you make do with the stock heads for now and look at a budget cymbal pack, because the cymbals that come with a starter set are really horrible.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it comes with a set of hats and a crash. How much would cymbals drag me back? D:

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Aaadin
    maybe you could check a used set whit all

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Aaaidn, you should be able to get a Sabian B8 cymbal pack (14" hi-hats, 16" thin crash, 20" ride, and bonus 18" thin crash) for about £140.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC Aaaidn. I was in your exact position around a year and a half ago. I managed to snag a set of CB drums with double pedals and cymbals and a throne for 300 quid. That would probably be your best bet, look on ebay for used sets that come with everything. The time will come for upgrading but the most improtant thing is playing. I had next to no knowledge before i joined this forum but now im in a band and making money by doing what i love. Youve definately made the right choice mate. Youll find everyone here extremely helpful.

User Info Menu

I've seen quite a few complete used kits for that much money that were pretty good for a starter.
    Just keep checking all of your sources. Maybe you'll find something fairly local that you can go and check out.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Thanks alot guys, I'll keep an eye out for a used kit, If any of you are browsing eBay and manage to see something shout it out for me? Haha! Having a hard time finding something within my price range worth the hastle.