Thread: Why all the Travis Barker hate?

User Info Menu

Default Why all the Travis Barker hate?

In my short time here, I've seen a lot of hate towards Travis, and I'm curious as to why? What pitfalls do you see in his drumming? I think he's really contributed to rock drums, and is a fantastic drummer. Granted, I'd entertain the inquiry that the other members of Blink 182 are both mediocre, however I've always thought Travis was incredible. So, Drumchat, what's the deal?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syeR_QdoCTg"]YouTube - Blink 182 - online songs[/ame]

(Really love the drums on this track of theirs)
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why all the Travis Barker hate?

May I refer you to the Justin Bieber thread.....

User Info Menu

seen it, it inspired this post.
    what about his particular drumming is so bad?
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

User Info Menu

I don't think there are many that have said he's a "bad" drummer. Personally, I'm not a big fan of his (or Blink's particularly although I own their first CD). I think the issue that comes up is whether his celebrity outmatched his drumming.

I think what happened is that he became the face of drumming. Among non-drummers, particularly younger one's, you'd frequently hear that he's the "best drummer" and I've even seen and heard it said he's one of the best ever. He's certainly a capable, professional level drummer, but I think most would agree that's a big stretch. IMHO it boils down to a style over substance issue.

So some drummers get tired of hearing his name used this way, and get frustrated. I usually don't get too frustrated about it, I just show someone who says he's the best a video of someone who's better and that usually ends it.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I don't really care for his drumming, but anyone who gets to pash Sophie Monk in a film clip is cool with me!!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

From what I've seen, and I'll admit I haven't looked very hard. It's more of a general feeling that Travis is overrated. It's not that he isn't a good drummer, especially in his genre. It's that he is not God, and is not the God that many people make him out to be.

In my opinion, which is probably close to the opinions of some others on the site, Travis is good. He can play things I can't play. He can look like he's more into his music than I can at this point, but he is not the fastest, the most technical, or most tasteful drummer.

I think he overplays, especially in his early work. Blink isn't the most musical band but they do have some nice melodies that become buried underneath the drum part which has more than necessary going on. Especially on this forum, from what I've read, these guys go heavy on tasteful before wanting to hear all out/chops out.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion of him. I love his hip-hop remixes and some of his work with Blink and Boxcar, especially when he weaves some drumline parts into his work, because I'm in drumline as well.

He's a great business man. He didn't become the younger generation's 'best drummer' from just drumming. He knows how to make himself appear with the right people. He's also inspired a host of new drummers with his style, gear, and music, and that isn't bad at all. As long as they don't take my gig.

My favorite drummer has been equally (but not as extensively) criticized. Aaron Gillespie, formerly of Underoath. His skill set also doesn't make him appear to be the best at anything, but I love the ferocity he brought to the music, and his parts always seemed, to me at least, to fit perfectly into the music around him. Also, I'm a big fan of his view on religion and faith and staying true to what you believe regardless of the people you're around. But this is about Travis, and drumming.

That was my very, very long two cents. Hope it cleared something up!

User Info Menu

You know to tell the truth, I don't think theres really any drums I don't like to listen to no matter who is behind the set. I just like drums.

An while I'm in this honest mode, Bieber just might be a pretty good drummer, I don't know, but like I said, I like listening to drums.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I have nothing against the guy (except the way he smashes his kit!), but I surely don't like the way a lot of people worship him as some kind of deity. Sure, the guy is good, but he didn't invent the drum set or anything.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    May I refer you to the Justin Bieber thread.....
    Which is now closed. Hint Hint

Sorry guys but Travis Barker and now Justin Bieber are officially hot topics here and simply cause too much devisivness (sp?).

User Info Menu

No hate here. I think there are things to learn from every drummer. Each drummer will have strengths and weaknesses, because no one can be perfect. The trick is to incorporate as many strengths as we can into our own drumming, so that we will become life-long learners. Works with life lessons too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!