Thread: Tom positioning - help please

User Info Menu

Question Tom positioning - help please

Just wondering how people get their toms positioned close together. It seems to be the way it's done by metal drummers and people who play fast and such, but I just can't seem to get my toms close together above my kit. Any suggestions?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Let me see some pics and maybe I can help you....a lot of it depends on the mounting hardware you're using, but you should be able to put the toms just about anywhere you want.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

A rack system is the best way to go in my opinion. It gives you limitless mounting possibilities.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Will get a photo soon, but I may have figured something out, so i will let you know how i go. if i could afford a rack 1drumbum, trust me, i would.

User Info Menu

When I first started getting used to faster playing, I positioned them about an inch lower than tom before it to prevent hitting my hoops.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

If you don't use a drum rack, ball joints are the best for ultimate positioning. Course, they don't come with every brand.

User Info Menu

Tama makes some great ball joint mounting arms. I use one for my side snare to mount to the side of my hihat stand and have never, ever had any problems with it.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool

Here is a pic so you can see my current setup.

no ball joints guys, i wish.

User Info Menu

Raise the entire tom (from the pole going into the bass drum)
    Then use the little wheel like joint to angle them rather then rotating the tom around the pole.

I have the same problem (even with ball joint stands). The thing is, my bass drum is too big! I love its sound and all but I think on my next kit I'm downsizing my bass from a 26" to a 24" or a 22"
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Snazzy sticks
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Yes raise your toms up by bringing the poles out of the bass drum more. Then level your toms out and swivel them inward towards eachother.
    Last edited by LightGrenades; 05-05-2007 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

If the aformentioned doesn't work, buy some clamps and mount them on each cymbal stand, or a buy a drum rack. Then you can put them wherever you want.

User Info Menu

lightgrenades got it right... the toms will be closer to you, and they will sit higher though i imagine! thats why i use seprate mounts for my toms with a free standing BD.
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

PS. TAMA's hardware is awesome!!
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Thanks guys - I was actually starting to realise that, but wasn't exactly sure about how I needed to do it. Thank you for your help