Thread: drum dial

User Info Menu

Default drum dial

Being a new player, I have been struggling a little tuning my drums. I have a djembe background and with rope tuned djembes tighter is always better. I started out with my new kit too tight and have backed off on the tension. Do you guys believe in the Drum Dial and the Evans wrench to establish a good starting point? I understand it is a personal thing. I have a new Mapex Meridian Birch kit with Remo emperors clear throught. One last question: do you get much use out of an 8 inch tom if you have one? Thanks a lot. Tom

=========
    New! - Digital Drum Dial

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum dial

Hi Thomas k and welcome to the DC. If you can tune a Djembe with the ropes then you will have no problem tuning a drum kit.The drum dial is a good tool to have but ear tuning is always the best. I use the dial only after I have found the tune or pitch that I like, then I will use the dial around the head to get the same tension evenly. I record the numbers for a later fast tuning before gigs or practice. I have a Maple kit so I like all my drums tune low what I mean by that is finger tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn till I find the lowest pitch then I adjust all the tension rods the same. Birch might be a different sound so not sure what to tune at. Some members have a 8 inch and what I read is that some have a problem tuning them. I will some day add a 8 and 10 to my standard kit. HOpe this has helped you a little.

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome Thomas!!

I too have a drum dial. I don't use it exclusively, but if I am having trouble tuning a drum, I will break it out to verify tension at each lug. I think it's a nice tool to have, especially for beginners with EIT (ears in training) like me.

As far as using an 8 inch tom, I don't have one (by choice) but I believe that just boils down to personal taste and the type of music you play.

User Info Menu

Yo Tom, how's it going?

I usually do it the opposite way to Pearl MM, I get them all to the same tension on the drumdial then tune by ear. Your drum isn't perfectly round, the skin isnt perfectly taught and everything isnt perfectly anything so the drumdial won't always work. But it gets it really close to the point of good and saves time and that's what counts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thomas k View Post
    Being a new player, I have been struggling a little tuning my drums. I have a djembe background and with rope tuned djembes tighter is always better. I started out with my new kit too tight and have backed off on the tension. Do you guys believe in the Drum Dial and the Evans wrench to establish a good starting point? I understand it is a personal thing. I have a new Mapex Meridian Birch kit with Remo emperors clear throught. One last question: do you get much use out of an 8 inch tom if you have one? Thanks a lot. Tom
    Welcome to the board and I say you are on the right track.

They are good for a starting point and then you can fine tune to your liking.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I use my Evans Torque Key dang near exclusively. I love that bad boy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I use my Evans Torque Key dang near exclusively. I love that bad boy.
    My problem with the torque key is seeing the daggone numbers!

User Info Menu

Good thing about the Evans drum key is that its cheap but, problem is that it measures 'torque', and not 'tension' on the head. I find the two are not always proportional. Torque can vary with how the lug/thread is behaving (sticking or slipping). But I have an older kit where maybe the lugs are not so well-behaved as new kits. Drum dial works excellent but the ears are best. Be patient, even after 8 years, I am only now really coming into how to tune drums quicker.

User Info Menu

i have started using a drum dial recently, and will never go without it. and i love my 8" tom
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Yeah, they are pretty small, LOL.

And dropd, that's true, but I think of it as a great way to get everything just in the right AREA. Match all the numbers and then tweak. It's a lot faster than using a drum dial, IMO.

User Info Menu

i use the drum dial for a rough reference point. Then i fine tune.

I have the same kit as you, feel free to PM me if you have a question.

Oh, and I dont use the 10" much. I like the kit as a four piece, 12" & 16" toms

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hi Thomas k and welcome to the DC. If you can tune a Djembe with the ropes then you will have no problem tuning a drum kit.The drum dial is a good tool to have but ear tuning is always the best. I use the dial only after I have found the tune or pitch that I like, then I will use the dial around the head to get the same tension evenly. I record the numbers for a later fast tuning before gigs or practice. I have a Maple kit so I like all my drums tune low what I mean by that is finger tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn till I find the lowest pitch then I adjust all the tension rods the same. Birch might be a different sound so not sure what to tune at. Some members have a 8 inch and what I read is that some have a problem tuning them. I will some day add a 8 and 10 to my standard kit. HOpe this has helped you a little.
    Ditto other than I havnt had a problem with my 8. My set is birch and I just use evans torque key and tune by ear

User Info Menu

Smile Re: drum dial

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    xsabers I think it is time for you to get one of them drum mounted MAGNAFYING GLASS for those old eyes. I got the same problem can't see them dang numbers on the Ddial.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    xsabers I think it is time for you to get one of them drum mounted MAGNAFYING GLASS for those old eyes. I got the same problem can't see them dang numbers on the Ddial.
    No kidding, my Drum Dial REQUIRES reading glasses to use. My EVANS Torque Key needs the Hubble Telescope though...