Thread: How easy is it to get endorsed?

User Info Menu

Default How easy is it to get endorsed?

Although I've only been drumming for two years on and off (My drumming doesn't sound like 2 years worth of progress) I've always had my goal as getting endorsed. That's where I want to get in terms of a career in drumming. I don't want to make money from it. I'm not interested in the 'free gear' that you get from it either, simply endorsing a product as simple as drum stick grips would make me extremely proud. I just want to be proud enough of my ability on the drums which I think endorsing a company or product will make me. So how easy would it be to do so?

I'm sure a lot of you are endorsed or were previously, how did you come about getting that endorsement? Was it simply playing a lot of gigs in a successful band or is it the contacts you have? Could you get endorsed by simply having a lot of subscribers on youtube for example? I know that Cobus Potgieter is endorsed by a large number of companies and he hasn't been in any successful band although I believe he is the most subscribed drummer on youtube so that is near enough impossible.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How easy is it to get endorsed?

I dont think I could endorse something that I dont use and believe in. I would like to be endorsed but my goal is to be a better drummer year on year.

With regard to cobus, he travels without pay to get to meetings, makes dvds and videos with borrowed equipment and has been playing for nearly 3 years and has been doing everything himself pretty much. I have a lot of admiration for him as he has done so much in such a short space of time off his own back.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

I think the key is hardwork in any aspect of what you want to do, and exposure is a great part of it too.
    When you have some exposure in whatever way it may be, its the case of finding the company and sending them an email. When i got offered my endorsment (was with a danish drum stick company) i emailed them saying who i was and who i played for. The band had been on the go for about 6 months and we had had about 10000 profile views, a couple thousand listens on the songs/videos, and about 5 gigs lined up. i was originally offered a 15% endorsment, so 15% off all products. I chose not to accept kept playing and emailed them back 2 months later. i outlined what else the band had done as we had improved quit alot and was then offered a 35% endorsment.
    I again refused this offer due to conditions. i know endorsments are cool, but they are a major effort. Like i was at a performance based college, going to a performance based university and gigging alot. and if there was one picture of me published not playing there sticks, or without the logo of the company on the bass drum, i could of got in troubles!
    Sorry for the massive post, hope it is of some help.

User Info Menu

Been playing for decades and as I've said here before, I have a long line of companies who are willing to pay to have me NOT use their products...

User Info Menu

Just like drummer99 posted, getting endorsed takes a lot of effort and time put into playing. If you can do it then more power to you and congratulations!(: I'm currently trying to get an endorsement from SJC Custom Drums.
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

Well no offense but 2 years on and off won't get you much in terms of endorsements. Cobus is endorsed because of the exposure he gives. Being one of the top drummers on youtube helped him out a lot, even though it took him a while to get endorsed.
    I do like your approach to being endorsed however. But companies are willing to give you free stuff if you help them make more money. As for cobus, its basically like a 5 minute advertisement for his endorsers.
    There are many people who would love being sponsored, no matter who it is. I personally would like to be sponsored by the brands I use: Pearl/PDP, Pro-Mark, etc. I'm not sure if I would want to be endorsed by Zildjian because I haven't found my brand/particular line of cymbals that I like. To get endorsed, you have to approach them or they'll come to you, which never happens. If you're in a band with a studio album it really helps because they know you're serious about drums and not some bum on the street looking for some free stuff. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I've been playing drums a long time and have never even gotten close to being endorsed. I've also never gotten close to a national level. However, being older and having worked in companies that endorses people to use their products, I understand that its all about marketing. If you're successful enough as a professional and are able to be visible to a large group of people that might be interested in a particular product line, then you will be approached for endorsement. Its part of the business. So, if you're fortunate enough to reach that level, its definitely something to be proud of. But, getting there is not easy, it takes a lot of work, commitment, and luck. Rock On !

User Info Menu

This is a quote from Bart Elliot
    "If you want to lay a foundation for future endorsements, here's what you need to do:

Find a product that you LIKE and BELIEVE IN. Use it. Use it for many years. Show that you stand behind the product by using it. If you really like a piece of gear, you'll use it with or without an endorsement.
    Focus on your playing and marketing yourself as a player. Play as many gigs as you can and work towards being in the public eye on a regular basis.
    Once you've obtained a professional level in your career and your playing, contact the companies of whom you use products. Let them know who you are, how much you love their stuff.
    Contact the A.R. (Artist Relations) representative for the company you are wanting to work with. Ask if you can send them your Press Kit. The packet should include a biography, photos of you playing and a bust shot (head shot), recording credits or discography, a professional demo of your playing, current performance schedule (bands you are working with and if you are a recording member, tour member, or both), and last but not least ... contact information (name, phone numbers, addresses, email, web site, etc.).
    Once you make contact with the A.R., stay in touch! Let them know what you are up to, where you are playing, who you are working with, etc."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Been playing for decades and as I've said here before, I have a long line of companies who are willing to pay to have me NOT use their products...
    And I thought I was the only one that had that luxury xsabers!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Check the endorsement section on Vic Firth. Even if that isn't the company you want to be endorsed by, it gives you a VERY good idea of what an endorsement is all about. I've been playing for seven years now, and I still don't meet half the requirements. Like... Functional band. Or... Demo.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Here's a bunch of information quoted from Sabian's website, written by Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, the drummer for Weird Al. Again, it might not be a company you're looking to get endorsed by, but they offer a lot of good advice that covers basically any kind of gear.

-What is an endorsement?
    For the purposes of this FAQ, an endorsement is defined as the expressed or implied recommendation, by a popular and/or well-respected drummer, of a particular manufacturer's product, product line, or service(s).

-What is it's purpose?
    Endorsements are designed to increase product or brand-name awareness (and ultimately, sales) through the use of a familiar spokesperson.

-Is the drummer the endorser or the endorsee?
    These terms are often used interchangeably. To be accurate, the drummer is the endorser, since it is the drummer who does the "endorsing" of the manufacturer's product. The manufacturer would therefore be considered the endorsee, although that's a seldom-used reference.

-Who can get an endorsement agreement?
    Any drummer who has good exposure to the manufacturer's target buyers, either as a personality or through their artist affiliation, is a candidate for an endorsement agreement.

-What are the benefits of the endorser?
    In exchange for their endorsement, the drummer can expect a minimum "consideration" in the form of discounts on the product endorsed (and possibly on other products from the manufacturer). Based on the level of exposure the drummer can provide, the agreement may include free product, however there is generally a limit to the amount and frequency of such consideration. Other agreements may include exchanging old product for new, and in some instances, product is simply loaned as necessary. The specific product may also govern the consideration. That is, a drummer is more likely to get free sticks from a stick manufacturer, than to get free drums from a drum manufacturer. The amount and type of consideration is usually proportionate to the marketing value of the endorser to the manufacturer.

Another valuable benefit is the "support" offered by the manufacturer. An endorser will enjoy better pricing, and usually faster service than at almost any retail store. This is especially important for the traveling drummer, where the product may be unavailable in local stores.

The drummer may also have their name and/or photo used in the manufacturer's product literature and advertising campaigns.

Occasionally, the drummer may be involved with R&D (research and development) regarding the manufacturer's products, and may become an integral part of the manufacturing process.

-What is the benefit to the manufacturer?
    Essentially, it is the promise of increased sales. Even musical manufacturers are in business to sell their products or services and, like any other business, generating revenue is a prime objective.

-What does the manufacturer expect from the endorser?
    Since the manufacturer seeks exposure via the endorser, the endorser is expected to be seen using, and/or pictured with, the product. Sometimes clinics are arranged so that the endorser can help spread the word on a more personal level. For endorsers who do recordings, a 'thank you' or mention in the liner notes is customary. Traveling endorsers may be asked to accommodate manufacturer employees or representatives at performances. The endorser may be asked for R&D (research and development) input on the manufacturer's products. Schedules permitting, the endorser may be asked to demonstrate and represent the manufacturer's product at trade shows or conventions such as NAMM and PASIC. And of course, the endorser is generally expected to say nice things about the product and manufacturer.

-Does a manufacturer ever approach a drummer for an endorsement?
    Yes. If the manufacturer determines that the drummer will benefit the marketing strategy, they will seek an endorsement.

-Can an unkown drummer get an endorsement agreement?
    Sometimes a manufacturer will sign a drummer who they believe has the potential for exposure. Some manufacturers have special programs aimed at non-professionals, an example of which is the Pro-Mark Sticks "Not Yet Famous Drummers" promotion from the early '90s. The marketing angle is the same either way - the manufacturer wants the up-and-coming drummers to get where they're going, while using the product.

-How does one approach a manufacturer?
    A letter or phone call to the artist relations person at the company will get the ball rolling. They will probably require a promo package, and then determine if the drummer can offer the kind of exposure that will help promote their product. Rejection letters are common, as are "B level" endorsements which may offer only a moderate discount on product. The choice is the manufacturer's when it comes to how they handle their marketing, and it's just not possible for them to enter into agreements with every drummer who asks.

-Are endorsements forever?
    Sometimes the specifications or quality of a product change and it no longer meets the drummer's needs; or, the drummer discovers a preferable brand; or, the manufacturer ceases production of the endorsed product, or goes out of business. Barring satisfactory resolution with the manufacturer, these are among the valid reasons to discontinue endorsing a particular product or brand. The manufacturer also has the right to terminate the agreement if the endorser violates the terms of the endorsement agreement, or if it is determined that the endorser no longer possesses suitable promotional value. A typical agreement is reviewed annually.

-Bermuda's recommendations:
    Seek to endorse only those products that you would use even without an agreement. Avoid being one of those drummers who takes whatever they can grab, whether they like or intend to even use the product. Your credibility as a spokesperson is important, especially once you seek to endorse additional products and manufacturers. Reputations and relationships possess tremendous value, and nobody will tolerate an endorsement-hopping "drum whore".

In certain broadcast or performance situations, it is not always possible to use the endorsed product. When that happens, you should certainly not be seen using the competitor's product! Mask the competitor's name so it is not visible. Avoid being pictured with a non-endorsed brand, and don't make the mistake of thanking non-endorsed competing manufacturers in the liner notes! Endorsement agreements are almost always exclusive, and your credibility and contract could both be lost.

In addition to being a business arrangement, the relationship between you and the manufacturer is also important on a personal level. Never whine about how you're not pictured in the latest ad, don't make excessive product requests or other demands, and respect the people who are accommodating you. In this business, it's the nice guys who finish first.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Interesting read, NIM !

User Info Menu

+1 NIM was that from my thread?
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    +1 NIM was that from my thread?
    Yea. The wonders of copypasta lol
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I am a drummer in a band, we have a studio album out with another on the way, we do mini tours in the UK (which I hope will get much bigger this year), and we are signed to the biggest PR company in the UK but I am still not ready to sign any endorsement deals (not that any are on offer just yet anyway) this is because I wish to try as many drum products as possible before I settle on the ones I really love, there is plenty of time to get an endorsement.

Also please remember that Cobus doesn't just do the you tube thing, he goes to so many conventions all year round promoting the companies he endorses to many drummers and companies, he effectively works for them all to drive up sales.

So although I understand your enthusiasm, as it would be awesome to have an endorsement, you don't need to measure your success as a drummer by that, just have fun and if you want to make a living from drumming then work at being the best you can be and measure your success on your successes not on how many endoresements you can get.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Also, be aware that there are several smaller companies that will list you as an endorser based up somewhat limited criteria...even as simple as referring a friend to make a purchase. You get a "discount" and your name added to a list...

User Info Menu

i also wanna add that that you need to contact the company.
    Obviously the big drummers will get contacted, but if you want something, reach out and grab it.
    The same thing happened with my guitarists, they contacted the string company they liked to use and the guitarists got offered a flat price of £1.98 per pack of strings and the bassist got offered strings at £8 per pack.
    Just ask!
    SJC Custom Drums 20x20, 12x8, 16x16, 50% offset baltimore lugs
    DW Knurled Brass Snare 14x6.5
    DW 8000 Double Pedal
    Zildjian 14.25" K Custom Hybrid Hats, Z Custom Ride
    Istanbul Xist 16 and 18" Crash's
    Zildjian Super 5A Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Well no offense but 2 years on and off won't get you much in terms of endorsements. Cobus is endorsed because of the exposure he gives. Being one of the top drummers on youtube helped him out a lot, even though it took him a while to get endorsed.
    I do like your approach to being endorsed however. But companies are willing to give you free stuff if you help them make more money. As for cobus, its basically like a 5 minute advertisement for his endorsers.
    There are many people who would love being sponsored, no matter who it is. I personally would like to be sponsored by the brands I use: Pearl/PDP, Pro-Mark, etc. I'm not sure if I would want to be endorsed by Zildjian because I haven't found my brand/particular line of cymbals that I like. To get endorsed, you have to approach them or they'll come to you, which never happens. If you're in a band with a studio album it really helps because they know you're serious about drums and not some bum on the street looking for some free stuff. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jordison
    nono, I know. My playing over the last year has lacked a lot, mainly through a long time playing the guitar and not having a functional kit until the november just gone but since then I've been playing so much more and having more fun than I ever did with the guitar! I'm pretty much starting out compared to you guys, I realise I've got a long long way to go yet! So it's literally just the amount of exposure you get as a drummer that earns you the right to endorse?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey Street Band (JSB) View Post
    I am a drummer in a band, we have a studio album out with another on the way, we do mini tours in the UK (which I hope will get much bigger this year), and we are signed to the biggest PR company in the UK but I am still not ready to sign any endorsement deals (not that any are on offer just yet anyway) this is because I wish to try as many drum products as possible before I settle on the ones I really love, there is plenty of time to get an endorsement.

Also please remember that Cobus doesn't just do the you tube thing, he goes to so many conventions all year round promoting the companies he endorses to many drummers and companies, he effectively works for them all to drive up sales.

So although I understand your enthusiasm, as it would be awesome to have an endorsement, you don't need to measure your success as a drummer by that, just have fun and if you want to make a living from drumming then work at being the best you can be and measure your success on your successes not on how many endoresements you can get.
    I am enjoying playing drums don't get me wrong! I realise I'll probably never make it as a huge pop band because of the risks you have to take etc.. so getting endorsed is just the next step down for me, some place that you can still get seen in the industry without having to devote your entire life to a band with the probability that your band will become nothing. It's not that I feel I have to get endorsed to start enjoying the drums, it's just somewhere I'd like to get to