Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Used Purchase Ever... Tell Me You Stories

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Used Purchase Ever... Tell Me You Stories

I've gotten several good used deals...

Axis single pedal for like 90 bucks, works great
    Zildjian A ping ride- 100 bucks
    zildjian A 16" fast crash- like 130$

and i just bought a korg wavedrum on ebay... the description said "used" so I emailed the business asking how used they were and stuff like that, and they said that the two they had in stock were floor models but they had run out. However, they were "honoring the price" they had on the used ones, so I got a brand new one for $418, nearly 200 dollars less than the 600 dollars they usually sell for!! I'm very excited for it to arrive
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesnyder View Post
    I didn't get a killer deal on this snare, but its definitely my favorite used purchase of all time...

I've never seen a snare like that -- what is it?

User Info Menu

Here's the gear I'm currently using that was bought used, I'll let you decide how great a deal they were.

-14" AA Fusion Hi Hats: $130
    -16" AA Bright Crash: $115
    -21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride: $70 (Ok, I won't lie, this was a STEAL! lol)
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite snare: $20 (A gift from ThePloughman, I covered the shipping costs)
    -Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage fusion shell pack (5 piece minus a snare): $250

I bought a lot more used stuff over my drumming career, but it's been sold or traded and I lost count of it all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Btw, NoiseInMotion dubbed this as "The Deal-O-Meter".
    Oh yea, I remember that lol.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

21'' Sabian AA Rock Ride - $70
    14'' Sabian HH Medium Hi-Hats - $170
    18'' Zildjian Z Custom Medium Crash - $80
    18'' Sabian XS20 Chinese - $60
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

My current kit that I gig with. 6-pc Pearl Prestige Session Select (See my Sig for snare and tom/kick sizes). It came with all Zildjian A cymbals and Pearl hardware. 16" A med crash, 20" A ping ride and 14" A Quick Beat HH. They fit right in with all of my existing A's that I already had. A Pearl Eliminator and a DW 5000 single kick pedals. Everything was in great condition. I paid $650 for everything and drove 3 hours to pick them up. I don't think that I could buy the cymbals new for that price.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

So far, it would be all the Paragon's I have bought off of E-Bay and my Mapex Black Panther Snare.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I usually buy new because trudging through craigslist and fighting on ebay are too much trouble most of the time.

But I have got a few good deals.

My Paiste RUDE ride I got for $318 ($394 new)

My RUDE hats I bought sepperate but together came out to around $130 ($348 new)

My Wuhan 20" Riveted china I got for $30 ($85 new)

Im not sure how much new DW snares go, but My DW brass was only about $320.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, my Mapex Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry Snare may not have been a steal, but it is definitely a very special buy for me. They are very hard to find, and I've seen them going for somewhere in the low $300's. Got mine for $289.
    Got a 4 piece set of SKB hard cases for $250. The store owner threw in a snare hard case for free, and I bought a new SKB 14X14 tom case to complete the set.
    I got this Pearl Free Floating Snare for about $200. Again, not a killer deal but I usually try to make my deals a win-win.
    Thats some great lookin gear PB.
    I'm really lovin that M BP snare!.
    Thats a forever keeper I'd say.

I'm doin alot of Craigslisting right now (got a little cash for gear ).

Gonna try to get a 13" Black Panther snare and two Zildjian A splashes (and boom arms).

I already have a direct line on an 8" A splash I'm gonna pick up on Tuesday in new condition for $50.

Love getting new (or new used) stuff!.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Best used deal for me was paying $699 USD for an 2007 Pearl SBX 5pc. shell pack with matching snare and it came with tom holders:

User Info Menu

I got those 3 drums pictured and 2 DW 9000 series stands as collarteral for a $1200 USD loan to a coworker when I was at GC in '99. He never came back with the money.

That snare I scored on eBay one night for just over $500 USD. 20 ply maple w/wood hoops.
    That 20" K Custom Ride for only $180 at GC (before I started working for them).

dave0549jv Guest

The best deal I've gotten so far was on my hi hats. They were brand new, but there was a tiny little ding in the edge of the top hat. The seller said they arrived at his store that way. Since they were on ebay, I knew it would be a bit of a gamble on my part, having never seen or heard them in person... but I decided to throw in a low-ball bid, and see what happens.

Lo and behold I won, and the ding is barely visible to the naked eye. They sound fantastic, and I relish them muchly.

Paiste Signature 14" Dark Crisp Hi Hats:
    Retail price: $489 (MF or GC.com)
    Special Dave price: $220 including shipping

Don't mind if I do!

User Info Menu

There's been several. Most recent that I was really proud of was the Craigslist find on my practice set a month or so back. Nice little Tama Rock Star kit in immaculate condition with every thing but cymbals for two Franklins. I like Craigslist!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Probably the best deal I have gotten is my 5 pc pearl Visions in Strata black absolutely like new with Sensitone snare, throne, ZBT hats with new Yamaha HH stand, ZBT crash & ride, 1 boom stand, snare stand, and regular stand (which is junk) for $275. I did pick up a Gibraltar rack with 3 mounts the other day. The guy had it priced for $65, I traded him a single pdp pedal with a screw stripped (came new like that with a 7 pc set I bought) but I had tapped it and put a new screw in it, held nicely and a tambarine/cowbell that I could not find ANY use for for the rack.

User Info Menu

Man, its annoying seeing all the deals that im no allowed to get :'(
    i just found a used 8" paiste signature splash for...... ready..... $12.50.
    ARRGGHHH!!! he only ships to america :'(
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

1. Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal. Brand new.
    2. Pear Icon rack ...with 8 clamps and cymbal arms. Like new and spotless
    3. 4 Yamaha Cymbal stands.....two boom and two straight. Dusty...but like new.
    4. 1 Tama Hihat Stand. Excellent shape.
    5. 13inch Zildjian A custom Hi-Hats. Very new. Price tag still on the inside of the bell. Looks to be less than a year old
    6. 16 inch, 18 inch & 20 Inch Avedis Zlidjian crashes. No logos....but very clean.
    7. Old YAMAHA 5000 Series from the 80's 8,10,12,13,14, & 16 &18 Floor Tom. With a 24 inch kick. Mahagony shells (dark brown). These drums are huge and in very good condition!
    8. It also came with a nice Chrome YAMAHA snare.....but I didn't get a pic of it yet.

click

$500.

(and....I talked him down from $550.)

All this gear NEVER left the house that it was in.......never gigged with....just tinkered with.

This happened Saturday afternoon. I was so excited........(and maybe felt a little guilty) that I messaged Pastor Bob about it.

He's says I'm forgiven.

God Bless us all......including Craigslist.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddiev View Post
    1. tama iron cobra double pedal. Brand new.
    2. pear icon rack ...with 8 clamps and cymbal arms. Like new and spotless
    3. 4 yamaha cymbal stands.....two boom and two straight. Dusty...but like new.
    4. 1 tama hihat stand. Excellent shape.
    5. 13inch zildjian a custom hi-hats. Very new. Price tag still on the inside of the bell. Looks to be less than a year old
    6. 16 inch, 18 inch & 20 inch avedis zlidjian crashes. No logos....but very clean.
    7. old yamaha 5000 series from the 80's 8,10,12,13,14, & 16 &18 floor tom. With a 24 inch kick. Mahagony shells (dark brown). These drums are huge and in very good condition!
    8. it also came with a nice chrome yamaha snare.....but i didn't get a pic of it yet.

click

$500.

(and....i talked him down from $550.)

all this gear never left the house that it was in.......never gigged with....just tinkered with.

This happened saturday afternoon. I was so excited........(and maybe felt a little guilty) that i messaged pastor bob about it.

He's says i'm forgiven.

God bless us all......including craigslist.
    nice.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Wow EddieV...it must be a buyer's market out there! Great deal!!!! Thanks for the pics!

User Info Menu

He wins.
    GRETSCH - crush - Sabian - DW - promark

"Aint nobody gonna argue with a bus!"

www.fireproofmatch.com - Free EP Download.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iamanidiot View Post
    He wins.
    Lot's of stoopid people on craigslist......selling "Vintage Exports for $1200".

This time.....stupidity worked in my favor.....and because they guy only lived a few minutes from me....I was able to get there first.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    selling "Vintage Exports for $1200".
    Who would ever try that?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    Who would ever try that?
    I'm a craigslist junkie.....I'll bet I check it fifteen to twenty times a day. I've seen it all.

I've actually thought of posting a thread here......titled:

Stupid CRAIGLIST drumming ads.

I know they don't want links and stuff posted here.....but just the ads here in PHX would be enough to feed an entire thread a few times a week.

A friend of mine had a site called CRAIGSLIST CURMUDGEON. It was mainly against those who advertise for writers in the writing/editing section of Craigslist but offer no pay.

It's no longer active (as far as I know...) but I think if someone were to take a similar idea for just bad craigslist listings.....it would be a very popular website.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    1. Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal. Brand new.
    2. Pear Icon rack ...with 8 clamps and cymbal arms. Like new and spotless
    3. 4 Yamaha Cymbal stands.....two boom and two straight. Dusty...but like new.
    4. 1 Tama Hihat Stand. Excellent shape.
    5. 13inch Zildjian A custom Hi-Hats. Very new. Price tag still on the inside of the bell. Looks to be less than a year old
    6. 16 inch, 18 inch & 20 Inch Avedis Zlidjian crashes. No logos....but very clean.
    7. Old YAMAHA 5000 Series from the 80's 8,10,12,13,14, & 16 &18 Floor Tom. With a 24 inch kick. Mahagony shells (dark brown). These drums are huge and in very good condition!
    8. It also came with a nice Chrome YAMAHA snare.....but I didn't get a pic of it yet.

$500 Wow EddieV, Great score!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV;351363
    [SIZE="7"
    $500. [/SIZE]

All this gear NEVER left the house that it was in.......never gigged with....just tinkered with.

This happened Saturday afternoon. I was so excited........(and maybe felt a little guilty) that I messaged Pastor Bob about it.

He's says I'm forgiven.

God Bless us all......including Craigslist.
    Hey, as someone wiser than I has said on this site before, they wouldn't sell it for that if it wasn't what they wanted to do. Eddie, you said he was an older gentleman, so just maybe he wanted to give back to drumming by giving you a great deal. Blessings to him!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Man, its annoying seeing all the deals that im no allowed to get :'(
    i just found a used 8" paiste signature splash for...... ready..... $12.50.
    ARRGGHHH!!! he only ships to america :'(
    Ugh...that is disgusting. I paid full price for one of those... 180 bucks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    I can't remember ever getting anything spectacular, but a friend of mine did pick up a mint, and I mean mint, 1966, 5 piece Buddy Rich Slingerland kit from the local community college for $200. White Marine Pearl with zero yellowing. The kit had never seen the inside of a bar or the smoke that comes with the places. All the chrome was still flawless. The college picked up a very nice, new Yamaha kit, but they were better off with the Slingerlands.
    Buddy Rich was playing Rogers in 1966. He didn't go with Slingerland until January 1968. Great story, though.