Thread: Basics of Recording

User Info Menu

Question Basics of Recording

My birthday is January 27th, and I've been told my present is 100 bucks. Sooo... The first thing in mind is that 2 for 1 deal on those mini CAD condenser mics. No need for stands, got a low panel ceiling that I can use the frame to ghetto rig them. What else do I need?
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Default Re: Basics of Recording

That's my bro's birthday! I just got those mics, but haven't tested them yet. You'll also need something to put the mics through, so either a mixer or interface, to connect to a PC. You won't be able to get a mixer in your budget, so you could look for an inexpensive 2 channel usb interface. Problem is you'll need something that has phantom power, which I don't think you will find in your budget.

You are probably better off just getting an expensive Tascam audio recorder and seeing how that does.
    Last edited by kaosotis; 01-09-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Your not going to go wrong on those mics. Most small condenser mic's of that caliber are great for drum overheads, Piano, Percussion, according to placement. Very good for stereo acoustic guitar. CAD is one of the most under rated mic's in the studio. But it seems a lot of top pro's have used them on there recordings. Equitech. Start by Placeing those guys left and right about cymbal level and 3 feet in front of the drums and see how they sound. Adjust accordingly. It also has to do with how balanced you play your kit.

User Info Menu

But he still needs some sort of interface Vibes, no?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Are you referring to GXL 1200 mics? If you are, imo they suck. But if that's what you want I have a couple I'll sell you. Used once, then tried again a second time. Been in the box since. Good price if you're interested.

Ok, the boxes were right behind me. I pulled them out and the mics aren't in the boxes, but I'm sure they're in here somewhere.

Don't need phantom power. They will take a P24V battery. Most condensers will take a battery.

Also, I don't think the deal you're talking about includes the XLR cords.

OK, got the mics. They may have been used more then twice now. I will find out. Also found out my 22" HHX Manhattan Ride and 14" HHX mini china are not where they're suppose to be. Got a long talk coming up.
    Last edited by Riverr1; 01-09-2011 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

He's talking about CAD CM217's. I didn't realize they can use batteries, thought they automatically need phantom power. If not, then he could get the Nady USB-XLR cable interface for like $50, since he's only doing 2 channels.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    He's talking about CAD CM217's. I didn't realize they can use batteries, thought they automatically need phantom power. If not, then he could get the Nady USB-XLR cable interface for like $50, since he's only doing 2 channels.
    Actually you're right about needing phantom power for these mics. I was wrong, sorry. The 1200 are a better mic then the 217's.

User Info Menu

Yes, Phantom power, sorry . I was ahead of myself. Some little mixers have that. and a interface. Yea, you have to have a interface. You guys just can't buy mic's and then think you can record. You have to record in to something thats going to play back for you. A computer, camera, there is so much out there. . Then the software issue. There are a lot of little audio digital converters that are not to pricey. . sorry about any confusion on my part.
    Last edited by VIbes; 01-09-2011 at 08:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about this:

- CAD 217 Condensors plugged into...

- 2 XLR cables into...

- A four channel cheapo mixer that I'm hoping to find on like, Craigslist or something. Wire that into my MacBook and use ProTools 9, which I've got at the house. Where to go from there seems like trial and error. Hopefully with not too much money spent. I'm considering selling some of my shares in a company I invested in last year, so that could get some more money to use on this, which would be sweet. What else you guys?

User Info Menu

By the way, sorry about confusion on which mics. I forgot the exact name of the mics and I'm stuck with my Fadre's iPhone to post with. It's hard to look up what I need to on here. The reviews are promissing though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I was thinking about this:

- CAD 217 Condensors plugged into...

- 2 XLR cables into...

- A four channel cheapo mixer that I'm hoping to find on like, Craigslist or something. Wire that into my MacBook and use ProTools 9, which I've got at the house. Where to go from there seems like trial and error. Hopefully with not too much money spent. I'm considering selling some of my shares in a company I invested in last year, so that could get some more money to use on this, which would be sweet. What else you guys?
    You have to make sure the mixer has phantom power, and you'll still need some kind of interface to the MacBook. If you get a mixer, the easiest interface would be something like the $30 Behringer RCA to USB one. Then you would go RCA out from the mixer to the interface. Interface via USB to the MacBook.

Keep in mind that in this config, you would be recording both channels at the same time (even though on to stereo).
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

IANAT - What did you use to record your videos that you have in the "Drum Videos" thread?
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

My birthday is January 27th, and I've been told my present is 100 bucks. Sooo... The first thing in mind is that 2 for 1 deal on those mini CAD condenser mics. No need for stands, got a low panel ceiling that I can use the frame to ghetto rig them. What else do I need?
    I think a decent kick mic is your next purchase. The AKG D112 is recommended, but I think CAD has a more affordable mic that will suit your purpose.

HTH!

-Pete

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    IANAT - What did you use to record your videos that you have in the "Drum Videos" thread?
    That would be the stock mic in my MacBook, simply used while recording from the stock camera in iMovie. I like it, but the snare and ride sometimes get a little overpowering.

I'm going to get the CAD 217's for my birthday, then save for the rest as I go. Our church is VERY poor and is currently using a Shure kick mic to do the sound in our drum cage. This is in the Theater, which is not the main stage. It's for youth group. We renovate the Theater on Saturday.

So my idea is to put the kick mic back in the kick where it belongs, crank that up a little in the house, and then a couple of more sound-savvy guitarists are going to level the rest of the Theater's sound around the unmic'd drums. When the condensers get in, we'll either hang both up, or just one and put the other to the snare.

After that, it'll be time for me to look for an interface. I'm not sure what that is or what it does, but I'll find out. I assumed the mixer ran straight into the compy. Well I guess I assumed WRONG. When I have everything back up, I'll go grab my mics back and start with some trial and error. The church won't have a problem with me taking them back, because technically the Theater is run by the youth band. So it'll be easy.

User Info Menu

If you're trying to get a recording setup for the price point of $100, I would get a usb mic such as a samson co1u, mxl 990, or blue snowball. Unless you can find mic/cable/interface, or a good camera without breaking budget- it is looking like your best bet. If you have a computer, a usb mic will allow you to go direct into it and record with your choice of software. I think you would be amazed at what one or two condensers can do, and that's a simple way to get started. There's other choices available to you sure, but few of them will allow you to get started recording quality stuff without spending more money than I feel is necessary for a basic recording.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-14-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Not a bad idea Russ. Removes the interface issue, and he can always keep the mics for future use if he upgrades the setup.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

After that, it'll be time for me to look for an interface. I'm not sure what that is or what it does, but I'll find out. I assumed the mixer ran straight into the compy. Well I guess I assumed WRONG. When I have everything back up, I'll go grab my mics back and start with some trial and error. The church won't have a problem with me taking them back, because technically the Theater is run by the youth band. So it'll be easy.
    I'm still learning about peripherals and what they do myself, but I will give this an idiot's try. So by all means someone correct me where I'm wrong.

Using a DAW with an audio interface, you assign each of the inputs you are using on your interface to a track within the DAW. Once they are recorded in the DAW, you have the ability to then make changes to each track.

For my setup, I have a Tascam US-1641 (with only gain control for 10 of the inputs) with 3 mics (bass, snare and overhead on the drums) and a guitar for a total of 4 inputs. Each of these has it's own track in my DAW (Logic Pro), where I can adjust each track's level, add reverb, adjust the eq, etc. The great part is these adjustments can always be changed. Like I alluded to above the only adjustments I make on the 1641 are input gain levels. There are no treble, mid or bass adjustments, or effects on the 1641.

There are mixers out there that can be used as an audio interfaces as well. They have firewire or USB connections.
    Kit: 65 Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure the CM 217s are only available in the 7-pc. tour pack. Unless you found a pair floating around by themselves, you might end up with five other mics and an extra 100 bucks added to the price tag.

I have a pair of the little darlings, and they do require phantom power, which I get from a Tascam US-1641. Unfortunately, recording on the cheap is relative. All of my mics, stands, cables and the audio interface cost about $850.00 by the time I was ready to rock, but I'm also looking to do a lot more than just record drums.

If you have Audacity, you can make a stereo setup with a small mixer that has phantom for the mics and some RCA outs. Use a stereo breakout cable with a 1/8" TRS jack and two RCAs to run the signal into the computer's audio input, and with a little trial and error, you can probably make a very serviceable stereo recording using two to six mics (depending on the mini-mixer).