Thread: Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Bongos

Any bongocerro's out there? I'm thinking of starting to play them. Any tips? Advice?

Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Bongos

I had a set many moons ago.They had monkey hide skins that I had to wet and dry with a light bulb to tighten.They sounded great.I was thinking about those and Congas recently.I need to learn the different techniques of hitting.I dont really have any tips or advise other than try them out before you buy any.You will find out if you really want to play them or not or if the sound is what you are looking for.There are several hand drummers on here.C`mon fellas!---Good Luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongos

If you can find someone on eBay who hasn't sold anything yet, you can get a good price. That's how I got my LP Aspire Bongos and stand for $51.00. I know that if that seller had a track record, those bongos would have gone for alot more.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Adam, invest wise so you don't have to invest twice. Do not go and buy a cheap set because you end up buying new skins,new lugs and new hardware.

The best cheap out there is the Matador and yes you have to change skins so be prepare to invest $70 more. Xdrum has the Matador custom for about $120 which have better hardware than the one with the cast iron bottom hoop.

User Info Menu

Where's BongoBro when ya need him??? LOL
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bongos

Did somebody bawl for da 'bro?

Before you buy any bongos, test-play a few from different makes if you can. If you have a bongo-playing buddy, talk with him as well. Most music stores are cool about letting you play them; this way you can hear the sounds of not only different makes but also how different heads will sound. Be advised not all drum stores tune their drum heads, however.

Caballoballo has a good point--buy an inexpensive pair of bongos and you'll end up paying twice. That's another good reason to play different makes and models.

Adam, one of the things that helped me was a book called Progressive Steps to Bongo and Conga Drum Technique by Ted Reed. It was published in 1961--50 years ago--but I believe it is still in print. Look for it at your music store (I saw it a while back at GC) or on-line...

One of the things that got me started on drum lessons was something Reed said--specifically, to "take this book to a good drum teacher and learn the rudiments." That made a world of difference!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck