Thread: torque key settings

User Info Menu

Default torque key settings

Can anyone with an evans torque key share what settings they use for their snare and toms

User Info Menu

Default Re: torque key settings

I only use the Evans torque key to get me in a general range as to have all the toms close. If starting on 0 I would usually turn it to about 15 or 19( 1 1/2 - 2 turns). The snare was always pretty much the end of the keys tension. I bought a drum dial and used that for a while and now Just tune by ear it seems to work best for me. Have you checked their web site? F/T

User Info Menu

xsabers uses the torque key so maybe PM him and he will tell you all you want to know about it.

User Info Menu

I can't see the dang numbers. What I typically do is tune my snare, then adjust the torque key to where it breaks at that tension. Then, as I play, I can quick tune between songs if I have a rod back out a bit. I need to experiment more.

Also, be sure to use some lube on your threads in order to maximize the accuracy of the TK. Vaseline works, but don't use too much.

User Info Menu

i've used a torque before and i have noticed that the settings that work for one drum doesnt always work for another drum. the type of wood or metal makes a difference ,as does the type of rims, type of heads , number of lugs, depth of the shell . there is no magic setting that works on all drums. youll just need to get the drum sounding how you like it , then use the torque key to keep it there.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

When I did use it. I started with a lower setting, then check the sound. If it wasn't what I was looking for, I'd move it up a little and try again. Once I found a general tone I was looking for, I'd finish off tuning by ear.

As mentioned, once you have a setting you like with your kit and head combination, note those settings and you can reference them when you need a quick tune. That's when something like the torque key comes in handy.

Spend some time playing with the tuning on a drum. You'll find it's not really that difficult. The part I think takes time is getting your drums to sound good in relation to each other.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    When I did use it. I started with a lower setting, then check the sound. If it wasn't what I was looking for, I'd move it up a little and try again. Once I found a general tone I was looking for, I'd finish off tuning by ear.

As mentioned, once you have a setting you like with your kit and head combination, note those settings and you can reference them when you need a quick tune. That's when something like the torque key comes in handy.

Spend some time playing with the tuning on a drum. You'll find it's not really that difficult. The part I think takes time is getting your drums to sound good in relation to each other.
    Relation no mine are not related lol Tune to get best tone and resanation from drum

User Info Menu

i just wrapped a bit of wire around my drill and made it hold the key. clutch setting'd it at like 1.3
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

Like F/T, I give the knob one full turn so that I'm technically in the teens. At that point I usually set my snare to 9 and my toms to 2 or 3. Then tune by ear from there (which usually just takes the slightest little tweak). I heart the torque key.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^