Thread: Which Hardware To Buy...?

User Info Menu

Default Which Hardware To Buy...?

Just recently, I scored a Simmons SD5K drum kit. I sold off the module, the kick pad, working on the pads and cymbals, and the hi-hat pedal just dumped on me completely. Basically, I bought a rack for $100 and so far, have broken even with just the module and kick pad. Although this may sound like a dumb idea, I could not find a cheaper kit without breaking the bank to customize a kit to my liking at my own pace. My main goal obviously is to sell off everything on the kit, and start from scratch with the rack. I have been playing on a Yamaha DTXtreme II kit at band practice for a year now. I love the kit, but can't afford to go that big for that price in one shot. Can anyone recommend a good module with three cymbal outputs and four tom outputs? I would like to go variable with the hi-hat, but not a priority. Please note, I would like to avoid going MIDI as I know absolutely nothing about it. I am also looking for a good single-zone pad to use all around the kit, maybe dual-zone for the snare. if anyone has any recommendations on any of the above. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Hardware To Buy...?

Go with Yamaha pads / module. You can get the DTX500 module for $299 (even less if you decide to buy when there's coupons available) and it's Yamaha's current mid-level module. I recommend Yamaha because their hardware is on par with (if not better than) the big dog, Roland, but is half the price. So upgrading pads and cymbals down the road will be less costly.

As for which pads to buy, the Yamaha TP65. They are 8" single-zone rubber pads. You can get them for $39 each from RMC Audio. As for snare, you can get the TP65S (3-zone, 8" rubber pad) for around $80-$100 or get the TP100 (3-zone, 10" rubber pad) for $129. The TP100 is a huge step up from the TP65S, by the way. But if money is tight, the TP65S works just fine.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Go with Yamaha pads / module. You can get the DTX500 module for $299 (even less if you decide to buy when there's coupons available) and it's Yamaha's current mid-level module. I recommend Yamaha because their hardware is on par with (if not better than) the big dog, Roland, but is half the price. So upgrading pads and cymbals down the road will be less costly.

As for which pads to buy, the Yamaha TP65. They are 8" single-zone rubber pads. You can get them for $39 each from RMC Audio. As for snare, you can get the TP65S (3-zone, 8" rubber pad) for around $80-$100 or get the TP100 (3-zone, 10" rubber pad) for $129. The TP100 is a huge step up from the TP65S, by the way. But if money is tight, the TP65S works just fine.
    Awesome, thanks for the tips DLDante. I was actually looking at the DTX500 beforehand, and for price and features, it looked really attractive, making for a rather easy decision. I always thought that Roland was a bit overpriced and overrated, but I will admit, Rolands do look pretty sexy. My next and final question would be, could I use the DTX500 with an On/Off pedal before I make the plunge into going for a variable hi-hat?
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    My next and final question would be, could I use the DTX500 with an On/Off pedal before I make the plunge into going for a variable hi-hat?
    Yes. Yamaha makes one (it comes on their DTXplorer kits). On the DTX500 module there are two inputs for the hi-hat. If you have the RHH135 then both would go straight into the cymbal since the cymbal itself goes onto a regular hi-hat stand and detects whether it's open or closed based on the pressure being applied. With the footswitch you're basically removing that element and telling the module "the hi-hat is closed when I press this pedal down". So one wire goes into whatever pad you decide to use as your hi-hat and the other goes into the footswitch.

User Info Menu

Hmmm, sounds like I've got a bit of shopping to do. Thanks for all your help DL, This surely has the hamster running on the wheel full force as I make an attempt to build a budget kit that suits me best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like I've got a bit of shopping to do. Thanks for all your help DL, This surely has the hamster running on the wheel full force as I make an attempt to build a budget kit that suits me best.
    No problem.

Good luck and let us know how your project turns out.

User Info Menu

I'm a massive fan of Roland V series. I have a TD-3 which my wife actually bought me! [Probably to keep the noise down!]
    It is awesome. I know that its going to be a lot of extra outlay at the beginning but you can add to them (I've added an extra crash to it) as well as upgrade the brain (maybe in the future for me).

They also do a small/ starter kit HD-1. Don't know if you can take the components off that and add it to your frame, but it might be worth a look at?

Hope this helps a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Roland V series. I have a TD-3 which my wife actually bought me! [Probably to keep the noise down!]
    It is awesome. I know that its going to be a lot of extra outlay at the beginning but you can add to them (I've added an extra crash to it) as well as upgrade the brain (maybe in the future for me).

They also do a small/ starter kit HD-1. Don't know if you can take the components off that and add it to your frame, but it might be worth a look at?

Hope this helps a little.
    Can't knock Roland quality but their prices are obscene. Yamaha hardware is just as good, some would argue even better, and yet the cost for similar items is significantly less. You can get a Yamaha 3-zone crash for $110 brand new. A Roland will cost you about $230. It's like this with everything when you look at Roland vs. Yamaha.