Thread: Gimme A New Beat

User Info Menu

Default Gimme A New Beat

I do the basic rock beat, sometimes I'll hit the bass twice then once, or twice each time, same with snare. That's it. Gimme something new, but not too hard, I am just new. Please, I am so sick of this beat and the few variations I came up with. Oh, I know the basic 6/8 beat, I think it is a blues beat. Thanks.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Try the beat from song 2 by blur. Very simple, but uptempo and fun for beginners.

User Info Menu

I suppose the next step could be a basic syncopated beat. Not sure how to type that out though, so i guess, never mind, unless someone here wants to help with this. I really am unsure how to explain it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Drummina, you should get Drumming For Dummies book, there's a CD with all kinds of beats. It's really helped me with getting a better feel for 8th & 16th note feels as well as the shuffle and half time feel..... Since you're a beginner like me I think you'd get a lot out of it....... DC

User Info Menu

Basic blast beat (which is pretty much a polka)

Bass drum + hi-hat // snare drum

repeat, and speed up as fast as you can (while still maintaining even time and a solid groove).

then try:

snare drum + hi hat // bass drum

speed it up as fast as you can go.

Then try moving smoothly from one to the other (it's harder than it sounds).

Basic, but fun - and good for releasing pent up aggression

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks you guys, I know where to go when I need answers, y'all always come through for me.

User Info Menu

How about this for a variation on the 4/4 beat you're playing. First of all, can you keep time with your left foot as you play on the ride? If not, that's one thing you can work on: "Chicking" on 1 and 3 (or along with the bass and the snare). Now moving on (not sure if I'll explain this correctly, so help me out, guys, if I screw something up): Now count like this: "1 and 2 and 3 and 4." It's still a 4 beat, but you're doing 2 measures since you've added "and" to your count. Now "chick" with the hats everytime you count "and." Once you get that, try some fills while continuing to "chick" on the "ands."
    If anyone can explain it better, please do!
    Have fun!
    Just read it again, and maybe I need to explain what I mean by "chicking": That was my best guess for a word to express when you are closing the hats.
    Last edited by sholmes2112; 05-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.