Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tama Silverstars

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Silverstars

I mean like a real photo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    that hardware doesnt look too cheap to me . looks like a nice kit for a nice price.
    +1 drums look great and price is reasonableI think they will do well with this line.Love that blue burst.
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

All they have done is given the standard size Superstars a different name to distinguish them from the hyperdrives, no big deal. The hardware is pretty much identical to my Superstars except the lugs and the hoops. Many people didnt like the diecast, so now there is an option. The Starmounts are every bit as good as the Starcast. Why the change? not to save money but because Starcast are part of the diecast hoops.

User Info Menu

Good call on the Starmounts. I forgot that the Starcast was built in to the hoops.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I heard of these drums for the first time last night from my drum teacher, he had nothing but great things to say about them along with saying he is going to use them to tour with. He is very picky, so they gotta be really decent drums if he is gonna tour with them.

User Info Menu

I want a 1up 2down kit with a virgin kick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Many people didnt like the diecast, so now there is an option. The Starmounts are every bit as good as the Starcast. Why the change? not to save money but because Starcast are part of the diecast hoops.
    cool
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I saw the Sky Blue Sparkle and Vintage Burgundy Sparkle at the shop today. WOW! They are GORGEOUS! I mean incredible looking finish in person. The light hits them and they just glow. The pictures really don't do them justice. And the inside of the shells look really nice too.

I gotta get the Burgundy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    The 4pc Jazz setup looks like just the thing I'm looking for when I go away to uni! Brilliant news! :D
    If you're gonna play Jazz, I wouldn't go with a birch kit. I'd stick with Maple or Mahogany. They do look great, though!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

There is a red one set up at my local GC... (the G.A.S never ends). One of the employees was playing on it a bit. The bass drum sounded great. The toms sounded pretty good too, but they were not tuned. Very nice kit.

User Info Menu

Nice looking drums. If I was in the market for a new kit, I'd take the burgundy one.

User Info Menu

I was at the shop again today. Had to pick up some sticks...I got an up close look at the red sparkle. KILLER! Oh man. Just so gorgeous. They've basically got every color and every configuration of these kits at the shop.

Here's the kicker...a 6 piece shell pack is $675. That puts these in the range of AWESOME. I'm dying for a set of these drums.

I did notice the blue fade lacquer looks really good too.

User Info Menu

They look great!

Hope I can try them soon!
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Just saw and played (briefly) my first sset of Silverstars in the flesh. They looked great. The finish was a tocacco burst type of thing and very classy and professional. The hardware is Tama's usual awesome, esp the sliding tom holder. I love that option. Don't know if I would make use opf it in practice, but I love the inovation. The sound was pretty good seeing as the store owner asekd me to be as quiet as possible. I wanted to give em all a big fat thunk, but I need to stay on his good side. They sounded pretty potentially fat. Head choice, tuning...
    Another Tama winner to me.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Just bought the Silverstar 6pc in transparent blue burst to replace my Pearl VMX Maples. Just received them Monday so I'm still in that period where I'm debating whether to keep or return them but so far I'm totally impressed! Here goes...

Finish...In a word Beautiful! Clean, clear as day super high gloss! Tama went all out on this one!

Hardware...The spurs may look thin but do not be fooled. They are sturdy as a rock and hold the bass drum firmly in place. The low mass lugs are great and well made. I did a complete head change on the toms and Bass batter and the threads and receivers are clean and fit together extremely smoothly. No mis-fits here. The tom holder is awsome and sturdy. The ability to slide it two inches towards the player allows for the perfect adjustment of the tom position. The star mounts are also great and go a long way to making the toms sound awsome.

Bearing edges and shells...as I said I did a full head change so I gave them a very close look and did the glass table test on both toms and floor tom shells. The bearing edges are level perfect and the shells are well constucted and have a slightly dark finish applied to the interiors. These are the best intermediate shells I've seen out there.

Tuning and sound. I removed the stock heads which I will say are pretty nice heads just not for me. I put EC2's/G1's on. I mentioned above the threads and lug receivers being well made and fitting so nicely together...I was able to go finger tight almost to the point of getting some resonance out of the heads before seating them. After I got the heads seated these were extremely easy drums to tune. My pearl VMX maples took me at least a week if not longer of trying different tunings and it always seemed like I never could get the tone quite right without alot of mixing and was fiddling with them all the time. I put an emad2 batter on the bass drum and the bass drum is super punchy like a kick in the gut with lot's of low end. Again easy to tune. With the bearing edges so perfect and clean all of the heads just tuned right up without any odd ripples or ringing. I'm not into ringy toms. These drums have such a sweet sound with just the right amount of pitch bend and resonance with no odd overtones to try and tune away. Just that sweet dooowww sound. The drop in pitch between the 10 - 12 - 14 - 16 tom's is spot on, very focused, distinct with nice projection. This has always been my experience with Birch drums thus the term "Naturally Eq'd". Never had quite the same experience with Maple drums that are usually more one dimensional and require more tweaking and mixing to achieve the same drop result. (Don't spank me maple lovers! I'm not saying maple is bad just takes more work to get a great sound IMO)

What more can I tell you? I'll be recording them tonight and see how they mic up but I have no doubts this will be just as impressive. I'll post samples and pictures next. BTW- I'm going to continue to use my 6x14 Pearl Masters MCX snare so I cannot speak about the included Siverstar snare.
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 06-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice review! Sound like a killer set of drums.

User Info Menu

Great, now I want some!!! Great review.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I just put Aquarian Studio X heads on my silverstars and they sound very nice..round tone from the 10 and 12 inch rack..16 floor is a cannon..I have ordered the 8 and 14 inch rack as well. Great set of drums..much nicer than my Mapex Meriden Birch set which I sold.
    Last edited by joekona; 08-24-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add link

User Info Menu

here is example of the music I play..MYSPACE.com/jppsn