Thread: outdoor winter gig

User Info Menu

Question outdoor winter gig

Gig's Feb.4 in York, PA. Any body gig in 25 deg. F? What to wear for maximum movement? "Thinsulite" gloves or none? Any recommended space heaters?
    Any and all advice is welcome.
    Thanks, all.
    BTW:I plan on practicing with mittens and a "puffy" jacket for the next week!
    See how it goes! LOL
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: outdoor winter gig

It's getting down to the negatives here in AK, so I feel ya. Best thing to do is make sure you keep the core temperature of your hands up. Warm up for at least double what you normally do, and if you wear gloves make sure you can still feel the stick response. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Muscle shirt, shorts and barefeet. Cause once you start playing you will warm up fast this way you won't have to take your thinsulate and gloves.LOL Just kidding around here. I guess not something too heavy so you can move around the kit ok. Good luck and let us know how it went and what you wore.

User Info Menu

If there is one available to you, think about renting one of those fan forced, portable propane heaters. They will keep you, and the kit a little warmer. And it's been mentioned, warm up really well. I had the most problem keeping my legs and feet warm, more than my hands.

Playing out in the cold, your kit is going to feel, and sound very different too. Everything shrinks up and gets tight. Your smaller toms will be like hitting cement if it gets really cold.

And lastly, pray for warmer weather.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Muscle shirt, shorts and barefeet.
    This is my exact drumming outfit!
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

The thinsulate under garments are great. I wear them while riding the motorcycle. Hands?? On your own with that one man. Never could drum with glove. Try a couple of those little chemical had warmers in your coat pocket.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Here's my update:
    25 degrees-No gloves, handwarmers, scarf, 2 sweatshirts, Zildjian cap, heaviest chinos. We played up-tempo songs to 'keep warm. Worked well!
    Nose ran the whole 2 hours,
    But the calcium chloride /grit on the sidewalk was the worst: tracked it all over my carpet, guitarist complained about getting it in his pedals. Had to carefully unpack and repack to avoid getting the salt onto and into everything!
    But it was fun, a nearby vendor felt sorry for us and gave us all free hot chocolates, and we got PAID!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Excellent follow-up report. Slinglander.

Thanks!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Good work sir!!! Im sure it was freezing, at least you were getting paid to do it, im sure that made it even more worthwhile!!! :D
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

I have always wondered about really cold weather, and the possibility of it cracking cymbals. Sounds like you had no issues! Sorry about the grit on all your stuff, but it sounds like you had a blast!!
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Glad it went well for you man!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update. Must of been tough keeping your nose from dripping. I would of never thought of that one. I hate it when that happens cause my nose and eyes get really "teary" when it's really cold. Glad things worked out for you and you got paid to boot!

User Info Menu

You know what we call 25 degrees in Maine?????? Summer LOL

Thanks for the update, I don't think I would have attempted it outdoors at temp. Your a better man than me.

User Info Menu

Good job Slinglander, a unique experience! Congrats on your success.
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Im glad everything worked out and you had a good time.I bet you were warmer than the other guys!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

WOW, outdoors and winter gig dont go well together.

Sounds like it went rather well. I think I would have had a tough time saying yes to the gig if it would have been me. I just dont like my stuff being exposed to the elements like that.

Glad to hear you had a good time.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

well done on playing in 25 F must have been freezing
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

You and your bandmates can officially be branded as tough guys now slingerlander! Glad everything came out OK.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!