Thread: Any advice please?

User Info Menu

Default Any advice please?

Hi,

I've been playing/practising drums properly for a couple of weeks, and I'm kinda stuck at a hurdle, that I need to overcome quite quickly (By march hopefully, have a big performance then!)

I think it's is Bass Drum Independence. I'm currently learning 'High School Never Ends' by Bowling For Soup and I'm stuck on the chorus. The verse is easy enough, I seem fine playing when playing the Hi-Hat/Cymbal at that speed (I think it's 8th notes?) Anyway, on the chorus, I have to play the crash as 4th notes, I think, and each time I try to do a quick double hit on the bass, my hand follows! Does anyone have any tips on how to conquer it, as this is what is holding me back the most! (Sorry for my bad explaining, I'm not to clued up on drumming terms )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRs7e58dsY&ob=av3nl"]Link to the song if you haven't heard it before.[/ame]

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can help me out!

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any advice please?

I'm sure others will be here soon to other their pearls of wisdom but heres my 2 cents:

DO IT SLOW!

Thats it, do it slow! Anything that I have learned to do whether it was something I felt was a complex rhythm or needs limb independance I start out doing it really slow, you need to do it so slow that it almost annoys you to do it that slow, once you can do it really slow take it up a notch and repeat until it is comfortable at the required speed.

I haven't watched your video as I am currently at work and don't have sound but if it is just a coordination thing you are struggling with then just do it slow until you have it.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

he is right i have had to do the slow thing also it does help, for me i just try to hear the song in my head and try to match it starting out slow, playing drums is kinda like simon says, he hits this you hit that...at least it is to me

User Info Menu

do it s.l.o.w.! and THINK about EVERY movement you are making!!!! down strokes, up strokes, rests, breathing ,all of it. play just the right hand and foot part a hundred times, by itself, forget about the song, and learn that technique!
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

also try breaking it down
    just play the kick and snare till you get it
    just the snare and cymbals
    than the cymbal and kick(where your having trouble)untill you have it
    than put it toghter
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Sorry, almost forgot to say...

Welcome to DC Mattcooper, enjoy your stay.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

If I'm reading this rite, your trying to get your right arm to stop foloowing your right foot?

I'd agree with the formentioned. Try it real slow. It's what I do when I'm trying to play something I'm having command control over.

I won't sugar coat it but limb seperation is not an easy task to master and more than anything it takes time to get them seperated.

I'd say practice the song and then practice the measures of the song your having this issue with as extra practice. I understand because I recently had the same problem and this worked for me in getting myself trained to play something I was un-acustomed to.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

To repeat everyone else, take it slow. If I were having the problem you are, I would learn the hands, going over the parts that give you trouble until they became almost automatic. Then start working the bass in, slow. I find that counting that part, or even singing that part out loud helps me, it makes me focus on it more.

Keep working on it, and you'll get it. Don't get frustrated Matt, we've all been there. I still am, regularly

User Info Menu

OOOOOHHH I get it... Yeah this was a problwm for me when I started playing. Its merely a coordination thing. It takes some time to get bass hits in between your right hand, but once you figure it out everything becomes much easier. It just takes time, once you start to build up your coordination it'll come to you.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Seems like a brilliant community you have here.

I'll have a try at it tonight... But it's really hard not to get frustrated having to fail at the same thing over and over again. I guess I'll just have to deal with it

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattcooper View Post
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! Seems like a brilliant community you have here.

I'll have a try at it tonight... But it's really hard not to get frustrated having to fail at the same thing over and over again. I guess I'll just have to deal with it

Thanks again!
    You aren't failing Matt, you are leaning. Hang in there, It's worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattcooper View Post

Thanks again!
    Thats why you slow it way down, so you don't get frustrated. You only speed it up alittle at a time after you feel you've mastered it slowly.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride