Thread: Tuning Challenge: Can You Tune Your 16" to a low C?

wellmixed Guest

Default Tuning Challenge: Can You Tune Your 16" to a low C?

Can you tune your 16" to a low C?

If so, what head are you using?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Challenge: Can You Tune Your 16" to a low C?

For miked kits, tune the batter (use a 2-ply) to where it makes a real tone (well above flappy) and then tune the reso as low as it will go without wrinkles. That cuts some of the sustain. An old trick is to use a 2-ply reso if sustain is a problem.

If an Emperor or G2 batter still has too much overtones for your taste, try a clear EC2 or even a pinstripe. There's no law against using different heads on different toms if that gives you the sound you like.
    Was this question not answered in a earlier post?

wellmixed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    For miked kits, tune the batter (use a 2-ply) to where it makes a real tone (well above flappy) and then tune the reso as low as it will go without wrinkles. That cuts some of the sustain. An old trick is to use a 2-ply reso if sustain is a problem.

If an Emperor or G2 batter still has too much overtones for your taste, try a clear EC2 or even a pinstripe. There's no law against using different heads on different toms if that gives you the sound you like.
    Was this question not answered in a earlier post?
    No. It wasn't. You have failed to answer it also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wellmixed View Post
    Wow...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    wow...
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

wellmixed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    +1
    OK Guys, Sorry.

I didn't mean to be curt. I'm simply frustrated when people clutter threads I start with posts that fail to answer the question being asked. So again, sorry. Let's all be nice to each other! But that said, let's keep drumchat useful by not posting too much unnecessarily.

User Info Menu

"Thanks man, I didn't know that. It's still not entirely clear to me as to what to do, but thank you for your time anyway"

Would have been nice.

*EDIT*
    Ah, unlucky timing. It's clear TxDrummer was trying to help you though.
    Anyway, no use being cross about it now.
    Last edited by Sugar-and-spice; 01-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Erik

User Info Menu

Yep. Emperor over Ambassador.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

OK Guys, Sorry.

I didn't mean to be curt. I'm simply frustrated when people clutter threads I start with posts that fail to answer the question being asked. So again, sorry. Let's all be nice to each other! But that said, let's keep drumchat useful by not posting too much unnecessarily.
    Sorry wellmixed, that I didn't give you a definitive answer, I was trying to give you a choice to choose from. but the answer is Yes I have, by using the choices I mentioned earlier.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

May not depend too much (or totally) on what head you use. The 'fundamental note' or sweet spot of your 16 drum shell may not reach there...i.e. go that low. Not the answer you're looking for (yikes) but maybe useful if you are frustrated and cannot achieve the tone you're searching for.

User Info Menu

16 inch tom doesnt give us much info to go on . how deep is the 16? what kind of wood?what make of drum? i would guess that a pinstripe batter and a ambo res. head could get as low as you need. i dont tune to a note so im not sure about the C ,but that combo will get real low. and if that wont get low enough , you might have to go with a 18.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

hmmm if there was a dw 16" floor tom with a "C" stamp....?
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

OK Guys, Sorry.

arent you posting unnecessarily? 3 threads about a floor tom with a specific tuning? get your drum key, wallet, tuner and floor tom, and head on over to the nearest drum store and have at 'er! let us know if you find your unicorn.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

yes i have in the past
    Heads i used where mesh
    than a DDrum trigger
    than a cable to a DDrum 4
    any note i wanted in the turn of a dial
    Unfortunately the only way YOU will do it
    is buy spending the dollars on trying different heads and finding out what works.
    people here have giving you lots of head advice (and i must say with plenty of rude replies by yourself) But guess what
    What works for them may not work for you ,,, a drum is a acoustic instrument with ALOT more variables than diameter and head choice when it comes to production tone and notes
    on that matter i think it is impossible to tune a drum to exactly C with all the over and undertones as well as the drums tamber coming into effect.
    Half the fun of drums is figuring out what works
    Go out and do it ,,, Live a little instead of expecting a computer , google and a forum to answer all your questions
    Hell you might even learn something
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    yes i have in the past
    heads i used where mesh
    than a ddrum trigger
    than a cable to a ddrum 4
    any note i wanted in the turn of a dial
    unfortunately the only way you will do it
    is buy spending the dollars on trying different heads and finding out what works.
    People here have giving you lots of head advice (and i must say with plenty of rude replies by yourself) but guess what
    what works for them may not work for you ,,, a drum is a acoustic instrument with alot more variables than diameter and head choice when it comes to production tone and notes
    on that matter i think it is impossible to tune a drum to exactly c with all the over and undertones as well as the drums tamber coming into effect.
    Half the fun of drums is figuring out what works
    go out and do it ,,, live a little instead of expecting a computer , google and a forum to answer all your questions
    hell you might even learn something
    +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Aquarian performance II
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.