Thread: A quick sound check using my new overheads and mixer

User Info Menu

Default A quick sound check using my new overheads and mixer

I bought two CAD 217 condenser mics (2 for 1 sale) and a Tascam USB mixer. Since I only had two XLR cables at home, I set them up the condensers as overheads and just fooled around to hear how it came out.

Here it is:

http://tindeck.com/listen/nisz

Drumming isn't much to listen to, and I think I need to retune my toms, but I really just wanted to hear what the overheads would pick up. Just curious what people think of the sound. I have the mics overhead (1 by ride and 1 by hats) pointing down towards FT and Snare at a slight angle.

Once I get my XLR's from my bassist's house, I'll try with everything mic'd. Very excited to use the overheads at our next "big stage" show, as they will help with cymbal pickup big time.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: A quick sound check using my new overheads and mixer

sounds awesome! congrats on your mics.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Hey k.
    I here a lot of goods things and a ton of potential with your set up. Few questions...
    1. Is the floor carpet, hardwood, or concrete?
    2. I am assuming based on your posts the overheads are pointed straight down with a very slight angle, correct?
    3. How close is the kit to a wall and how is the kit set up in the room
    4. How close are the overheads to the ceiling and the upper corner of the wall that meets the ceiling?
    5. Are you eq'ing or is the flat/ dry straight to disc?
    6. Can you flip the phase on the mics or do you have the ability with your software to flip phase in the software?

Again, I like the overall raw snap shot of the kit and this track just shows how important the overheads are. One important concept is the hihat does NOT need to be mic'ed 99% of the time and will be picked upped just fine in the overhead mics. Now the other mics (i.e. snare and bass drum mic ) will reinforce the sound and bring up the bottom end. I will add a some suggestions if you don't mind after I find out some more info. Keep it up kaosotis. You approaching this the right way..one step at a time adding the right parts in the right sequence.
    Last edited by nucjd; 01-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

N, I'm grateful for the interest and advice. I have some recording experience, but have never used overheads before. Let me answer your questions first.

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Hey k.
    I here a lot of goods things and a ton of potential with your set up. Few questions...
    1. Is the floor carpet, hardwood, or concrete?
    Carpet
    2. I am assuming based on your posts the overheads are pointed straight down with a very slight angle, correct?
    Correct. They are over the ride/ft and the snare/hi-hat at a very slight angle. Someone suggested I raise them up some since they are about 3 ft over the kit.
    3. How close is the kit to a wall and how is the kit set up in the room
    The kit is in the corner of the room, with maybe 3 feet of space to sit in. Definitely not ideal, but since it's not a "drum room" no choice. It's really my daughter's playroom.
    4. How close are the overheads to the ceiling and the upper corner of the wall that meets the ceiling?
    The overheads are about 2-3 ft from the ceiling, and both are right next to a wall. They are also about 3-4 ft from the corner of the room.
    5. Are you eq'ing or is the flat/ dry straight to disc?
    That recording is completely dry. I didn't bother doing any eq or fx yet.
    6. Can you flip the phase on the mics or do you have the ability with your software to flip phase in the software?
    Not sure about flipping the phase. There are some switches on the mics but I think that's for sensitivity. I'll have to try to find out. Not sure how to flip phase in the software either. One more thing to research.

Again, I like the overall raw snap shot of the kit and this track just shows how important the overheads are. One important concept is the hihat does NOT need to be mic'ed 99% of the time and will be picked upped just fine in the overhead mics. Now the other mics (i.e. snare and bass drum mic ) will reinforce the sound and bring up the bottom end. I will add a some suggestions if you don't mind after I find out some more info. Keep it up kaosotis. You approaching this the right way..one step at a time adding the right parts in the right sequence.
    In the past I've mic'd the snare, kick, and all the toms and that's it, no cymbals. However at some shows in bigger places, the cymbals get lost b/c of the close mic'ing. That's why I got these overheads, to pick up the hats, ride, and crashes better. I'm already confident that the live sound will be much improved and more balanced. Do you think I should still close mic all, or just go overheads, snare, kick?

The recording is really just a bonus, as I picked up the mixer too. I'll use the mixer to sub-mix my drums at shows, but even more important, the band can use it to record practices live. In that case, the overheads are helpful b/c I get a better "room" sound, and still can record the guitars, bass, and vocals.

Any help, suggestions would be duly appreciated .
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

OK,
    Let me first start by saying your recording should be a great teaching lesson to everyone that thinks overheads are not needed. To get the sound we as drummers look for it is key.
    Now, things I see that you could address if you want.
    1. Carpet will dull the kit unfortunately. I am sure you can't drop a sheet of plywood in your daughter's room but it is the best way to create attack and punch. I use plywood under my kit which then sits on carpet.
    2.Again I would recommend the x-y pattern for your overheads. Based on your position of the kit i the room and limits of positioning the kit you are going to get wicked phasing issues unfortunately and huge bass build which occurs in the corners. This will probably peak at about 300htz region as square rooms with drums seem to sing at this frequency causing a muddy flat sound. x-y will not completely resolve it but would go a long way.
    3. Sounds like this is a done deal. Just know you are sitting your mics in the region of the room where bass builds up. If you have some pillows pile them up in the corner behind. You will be suprised on how the sound changes.
    4. Good job there. DO NOT GET TOO CLOSE TO THE CEILING. The mics will pick up flutter echo and huge phasing issues. And try to keep them out of the corners.
    5. Again very encouraging. You are going to end up very pleased with your mics once you start to eq. Remember you will probably have a 300hrtz build up so look for that are on the eq curve to cut before you start to boost other frequencies.
    6. If I where you I would check that out. Usually you can do it in the box with a plug in depending on our software but some mics can do it as well such my Oktava mk-012 mics. To check phase will having someone play flp the mic in and out of phase and simply decide which sound you like.

Finally I would mic as many pieces as make you happy. Definitely the snare and bass though. Keep up the good work kaosotis
    Last edited by nucjd; 01-18-2011 at 06:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Very good thread ! Keep the info coming I'm taking it all in !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

nucjd is the master!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    nucjd is the master!
    +1000

The drums sound great Kaos! I might pick up those same mics myself one of these days...definitely better than the no-name dynamic mics I have for overheads now haha.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I thought the toms sounded great! They have presence. The drums alone sound good but in my opinion once the bass and guitar is added, the hats might need some presence. They sounded a bit too much in the distance but a great start!

User Info Menu

If I end up recording with the whole band, then I'll have some close mic's too, so I can put the overheads more over the hats (and a little less over the snare).

Thanks for the feedback all.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Hey guys thanks for the props. Ya'll are too kind.
    I made a mistake. In my tracking room the dominant frequency is 300hz but my tracking room is about 25 feet by 18 feet. In smaller rooms drums typically sing around 300 to 600 hertz which needs to be addressed with the eq for cutting prior to boosting other frequencies. So If I were you kaosotis I would sweep that frequency range and fiqure out where the honk of the drums are coming from and cut that frequency. My bro and I are planning a how to video tomorrow for this aspect.
    Last edited by nucjd; 01-21-2011 at 09:29 PM.

User Info Menu

nucjd you are awesome reading your posts in this forum has helped me out so much in recording drums like just little things that im not quite doing right
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Again you guys are too kind. I am lucky. I have a bit of disposable income and a brother who is a studio engineer. I want my drums to sound best first and foremost. Then the only thing I have to complain about is my drumming. But I am coming at this like the rest of you guys... a drummers perspective. I feel that is lacking in the recording world and leaves us drummers trying to figure out this difficult process by ourselves. Anyway sorry to hijack and back to the post at hand.

User Info Menu

Picked up 2 more mic cables. I'm going to get a small table for mixer and PC, and then sometime soon going to try recording snare, kick, 2 overheads.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Perfect Kaosotis. The four mic method has been used for years and is great. A lot of times people think more mics are better, but usually not the case. Just makes a mess. If you mix on the front end then you only need two channels going into the box, but..... If I were you I would keep an eye out for a used firestudio, fire pod, or mbox pro on ebay then run all of your mics on different channels in the computer where you can edit and mix like a machine and slap all types of cool plugins on the track. Anyway, I know a little ahead but fun to talk about.

User Info Menu

I thought it sounded great. Toms sound larger than life, the cymbals aren't overpowering, and the snare is balanced with the other parts of the kit. It has kind of a dry sound, but it's not dead by any means, so I think it's a pretty good mix.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments