Thread: Teaching drums?

User Info Menu

Default Teaching drums?

First off I'd like to say and I'm new to this forum.

I'm going to be teaching my friend's girlfriend how to play drums. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any pointers that anyone can give me? Thanks in advance for the help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Teaching drums?

From personal experience, if you're in any way attracted to her, don't do it! If you value your friendship with your friend, nip it in the bud. Good Luck !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    From personal experience, if you're in any way attracted to her, don't do it! If you value your friendship with your friend, nip it in the bud. Good Luck !
    lol for one she is 14 and I'm 18. For another my friend is a really great friend of mine, and they've been together for more than a year now. This isn't even a remote concern to me.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Ehalle. For what it's worth, start her out with rudiments on the snare drum before even starting her on the kit. Just my two cents.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Besides teaching the basics of beats and songs, don't forget some of the fundamentals such as rudiments, counts, even a bit of reading if that's possible. I have a whole lot more I could add, but I thought I'd keep it brief. There are quite a number of us, myself included, that are teachers or at least teach on the side, so if you are stuck, don't hesitate to ask. But above all, make the lessons have a purpose and make it a bit fun as well, I think we all know what it's like to have a boring teacher!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Ehalle just teach her the same stuff that was taught to you when you first started playing drums.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ehalle View Post
    lol for one she is 14 and I'm 18. For another my friend is a really great friend of mine, and they've been together for more than a year now. This isn't even a remote concern to me.
    Ha! Sorry, E...my bad. Btw, Welcome to DC !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ehalle View Post
    First off I'd like to say and I'm new to this forum.

I'm going to be teaching my friend's girlfriend how to play drums. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any pointers that anyone can give me? Thanks in advance for the help.
    You have to start with the basics! Start with the notes and their respective rests. You have to go over time signatures, why some notes have dots after them, and what a measure is. Then there is writing out rhythm's. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Being a student myself, and can play. I would start her off on a simple beat. See if she has any sense in timing and has any rhythm. I think the biggest mistake music teacher make is starting a student off not knowing if they are even remotely musically inclined. I think that has to be first. Next is keeping their interest. Teach them a basic rock beat, keep it simple and progress into fills. Encourage her to experiment with the rock beat and fills. Make sure you explain timing while teaching the rock beat. Then when you think she's ready, take her into rudiments and other stuff.

I think where a lot of kids who give up on drums lose interest because it can be daunting at times and you have to keep it changed up to keep it interesting.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride