Thread: Fantasy idea - an offset pedal (?)

User Info Menu

Default Fantasy idea - an offset pedal (?)

Okay, I'm probably crazy but very often when I'm playing I feel like the bass drum would be better positioned if the snare could be centered behind the bass. Obviously this would also position my bass-mounted toms so they would be straight in front of me... centered.
    Has anyone ever tried making an offset bass pedal so this could be done? Similar to a double pedal in operation, so the pedal was 12" or so to the right of the beater.
    Crazy idea? Go ahead, laugh at me if you want to but I like the idea. I play Yamaha Stage Customs btw.

Cassidy
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fantasy idea - an offset pedal (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    Okay, I'm probably crazy but very often when I'm playing I feel like the bass drum would be better positioned if the snare could be centered behind the bass. Obviously this would also position my bass-mounted toms so they would be straight in front of me... centered.
    Has anyone ever tried making an offset bass pedal so this could be done? Similar to a double pedal in operation, so the pedal was 12" or so to the right of the beater.
    Crazy idea? Go ahead, laugh at me if you want to but I like the idea. I play Yamaha Stage Customs btw.

Cassidy
    Not so crazy my friend

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ew-17728.html?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post

Cassidy
    You're not crazy at all. The idea has been around in various prototypes for a long time, but the legendary Australian drum builder Don Sleishman had improved upon the overall design, and from all accounts it works pretty well. In fact, one high profile guy who uses a Sleishman double pedal is Will Calhoun, the drummer for Living Colour.

The only drawback though, is that you have to have a specially designed drum case for it and it's fairly bulky. Hence it's a really small niche market.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 01-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Wow, I just spent a half hour on the Off-Set website... I guess I'm smarter than I thought. Looks like I'll be buying a new pedal. Thanks guys.

Cassidy
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

I hear JohnnyG on this site actually has that offset pedal, he posted a review over in drum reviews section. If you need to know more about it, you might ask him via pm for details on pricing/availability.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments