Thread: Vistalite set in the garage (NEED HELP)

User Info Menu

Default Vistalite set in the garage (NEED HELP)

I've got a vistalite set, and I may have issues on where to store it. I was thinking about keeping it in the garage, but I've heard stories where wooden drums have warped, and been damaged due to weather conditions. I haven't been able to find anything on what could possible happen to acrylic shells, so I am wondering if anybody knows?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vistalite set in the garage (NEED HELP)

without being specific, where are you located? What kind of temps, and change are we talking about?

With acrylic, humidity won't be as much of an issue (it still can affect hardware) but with very cold temps, the acrylic can become stiff, and possibly brittle. Drastic Temp changes can also cause the shell to "spiderweb" and haze over. Like moving them from a/c to a car that's been sitting in the sun.

User Info Menu

I live in Georgia, so the humidity is a pain, and it get's cold enough during the winter months.

User Info Menu

I don't know the specifics regarding Vistalites. But unless the garage is insulated well including the big door, which is nearly impossible considering the gaps, a garage is probably one of the worst places to store any instrument. How about a friend with a dryish basement, or an extra room maybe?
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I may be able to keep it in my man cave, but I have a feeling it may get a bit overcrowded in there with a futo, tv stand, and 58" plasma . . . . plus whatever else I find the urge to try and toss in there. Georgia doesn't build basements on their houses, because it's so close to sea level . . you would basically have an underground swimming pool, which sounds cool, but would be filled with red clay, and god knows what else.

User Info Menu

Acrylic drums shouldn't be any big problem kept in a cold garage. That type of material is more sensitive to electricity and heat, so it would sooner melt than become a victim of cold damage. A good rule of thumb is if it's cold enough to damage cymbals or drums, it's cold enough to freeze you to death as well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey Russ, I remember you saying that they were somewhat delicate. I'm more than likely just going to have to make room for 'em in the house. I would much rather something else get screwed up rather than my set. Hopefully, some time down the road I will get to experience the luxury of having a basement (stupid GA). That would ultimately solve my problem . . . well depending on the state of it.

User Info Menu

By delicate I meant easily damaged. They are prone to scratching, so the less you have to move them around the better. If you can get them in an area where other objects will never touch them, that is ideal. Unless small scratches don't bother you. Scratches on acrylic are easier to notice however, so I would take extra care all the same.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemack05 View Post

I was thinking about keeping it in the garage

Blasphemy I say.......

The extreme temperature change is not good on anything of good quality like that. You need to remember the hardware too, it will rust even if the shells do not warp.

They are yours and you can do what you think is best but I do not suggest this as an answer to storage.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

To me any material is substible to contraction from heat, humidity and cold not matter where you are located. To protect your investment you should keep them in a temperature controlled environent. This will protect your kit from damage to the hardware( rust) shells ( cracks, pealing, pitting and ungluing. I live in Canada where the weather is notorious for changing at drop of a pin. Good luck and take care of those drums.

User Info Menu

Alright . . . I think I have gotten all the info I need. I was not planning on setting them up in the garage. I was trying to figure out what kind of damage could be done to the set if my last resort was the garage.

Hell, I'm pretty sure the neighbors aren't goig to appreciate me playing them too much inside the house, seeing how they wonderfully obnoxiously loud, so playing in the garage would only make it 10x worse.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Happy Drumming!