Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recorders, such as Zoom

User Info Menu

Default Recorders, such as Zoom

I know they have input and output jacks.

So, I know I can listen to what I record with the earphones. And I can put stuff into it.

But.....can you kind of do both at the same time?

Meaning, can I plug an IPOD into a recorder, so IT can record what is playing, as well as record me drumming?

OK, probably sounds dumb to you techies, but I am a gadget hopeless chick.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recorders, such as Zoom

i can't help you but i think it a good question

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

dave0549jv Guest

im interested myself actually. i've got a zoom q3, and I shall endeavor to find out!

To the unnecessarium!

dave0549jv Guest

and after many seconds of research and scientific exparimentation, i can report that no, my zoom has no input jack.

That would be ideal though, wouldnt it. Maybe some of the other recorders do

User Info Menu

I have a Zoom H4 that I used to record my friends band while I ran sound for him. I ran directly out from his board and into my recorder. I was able to connect my headphones into the H4 and hear everything going into the recorder. So, if you have the equipment, you could have everything going into a board (including IPOD, etc.) and out to the recorder and hear everything all together.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

dave0549jv Guest

damn! i shoulda got an h4! that would have been pretty handy.

User Info Menu

@Dave, which zoom did you get? You should be able to connect even an h2 to another sound source such as a mixing board. You might try plugging the usb into your computer to record via software, while you use the external mic in for your ipod. Give it a try!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    and after many seconds of research and scientific exparimentation, i can report that no, my zoom has no input jack.

That would be ideal though, wouldnt it. Maybe some of the other recorders do
    The Q3 is something Ive been looking at and I know it will automatically adjust all the sound levels for you so you could use and Ipod with an external speaker to play along to while usinf the Q3 to record.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    @Dave, which zoom did you get? You should be able to connect even an h2 to another sound source such as a mixing board. You might try plugging the usb into your computer to record via software, while you use the external mic in for your ipod. Give it a try!
    Ive got the q3 which is more basic. it only has output, no input. i havent really delved too deeply into recording yet, but id like to eventually. It would be nice if i could just record the music im playing with at the same time. trying to synch it up properly is a real bear. i cant ever get it to work. what software would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    The Q3 is something Ive been looking at and I know it will automatically adjust all the sound levels for you so you could use and Ipod with an external speaker to play along to while usinf the Q3 to record.
    the music would have to be about the same volume as the drums in order to be recorded. (very very loud)
    Last edited by dave0549jv; 01-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.

User Info Menu

OK, my little Zoom DOES have an input.
    But, umm, how would I plug my IPOD into it? And how would I plug it in and use my earphones to listen while I record?

I warned you guys that I am a hopeless creature when it comes to gadgets.
    Drummer Chick

dave0549jv Guest

youll need a little cable that looks like your headphone plug at both ends. theyre easy to find at walmart, radio shack, best buy etc... you should be able to get one for less than 10 bucks. They look like this:

User Info Menu

OK, have one of those. So I can use my ipod in my truck if I want. Aux cable, right?

SO plug that in to the IPOD where the ear buds would go, and then into the input on the Zoom. And then put my earbuds into the output?

Hopefully that works, and even more importantly, hopefully I don't suck too bad when I hear myself.

You guys are TOO COOL! Thanks!
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Ive got the q3 which is more basic. it only has output, no input. i havent really delved too deeply into recording yet, but id like to eventually. It would be nice if i could just record the music im playing with at the same time. trying to synch it up properly is a real bear. i cant ever get it to work. what software would you recommend?

the music would have to be about the same volume as the drums in order to be recorded. (very very loud)
    Actually, thats the cool part about the Q3..........it automatically mixes all the sound for you.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    OK, have one of those. So I can use my ipod in my truck if I want. Aux cable, right?

SO plug that in to the IPOD where the ear buds would go, and then into the input on the Zoom. And then put my earbuds into the output?

Hopefully that works, and even more importantly, hopefully I don't suck too bad when I hear myself.

You guys are TOO COOL! Thanks!
    Not sure about that but try it and see if it works.
    slot # 1

BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

User Info Menu

Ive got the q3 which is more basic. it only has output, no input. i havent really delved too deeply into recording yet, but id like to eventually. It would be nice if i could just record the music im playing with at the same time. trying to synch it up properly is a real bear. i cant ever get it to work. what software would you recommend? (very very loud)
    If you aren't rich i'd use audacity of course. If you need the song recorded simultaneously, you are going to want to devote a track to it, so it goes into the recording while you play. I do not blame you for feeling frustrated at syncing songs and playing, I have been unsuccessful thus far and tried numerous things such as speeding up and slowing down the drum track.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I just use Audacity. Takes a whopping minute and a half.

User Info Menu

Doesn't work:(

I can plug the IPOD in. And I can hear the music. But if I hit record, all I get is a recording of the IPOD songs, nothing on the outside, ie: drumming:(
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

That shouldn't be happening.. Are you sure you are setting tracks for your drums as well as the audio from the ipod? They must be on seperate tracks in order to have them together in the final master. What are you using to record on? Mics, mixer, cables, etc- need some more details.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

dave0549jv Guest

it might be set up to just record from one source at a time... well, as GF said, and as i found out today, you can just turn your stereo up all the way and record the music and the drums at the same time. itll sound something like this:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ead-19068.html

User Info Menu

I'll bet that using the input jack disables the external microphone. Sort of makes sense that they set it up that way.

But it does mean that to do what you want you'll need some kind of external mixer to connect the inputs and then output from the mixer to your recorder.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Russ, you got off of my original question into mixing to record. NOT what I am looking to do at all.

I simply want to use the little hand held zoom to record the drum playing and the ipod at the same time.

I don't have mics or mixers or anything.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I just use Audacity. Takes a whopping minute and a half.
    Have you downloaded any apps for Audacity? I found killer and much easier to use EQ and effects than the stuff that comes with it.

User Info Menu

videopad vid editor and wavepad sound editor. both freeware. you can listen to your ipod on headphones and just drag it on to the video and synch it up. takes about 5 minutes once you get used to it.

Just an idea,

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

What about getting one with 2 inputs? A line input and regular? Then putting a mic in one and the IPOD in the other?

The software stuff is too complicated for me. All I want to do is be able to hear both the music and my drumming at the same time, with very little effort, so I can hear how I am doing.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    Russ, you got off of my original question into mixing to record. NOT what I am looking to do at all.

I simply want to use the little hand held zoom to record the drum playing and the ipod at the same time.

I don't have mics or mixers or anything.
    You don't want the music and drums recorded into one track simultaneously? Because I was getting at that, in response to Dave's concern about the difficulty of adding in a music track after the drum track has been taken. Did not mean to go off topic if I did. The way I see it those are the only two ways to get your final master done- seperately, or all at once.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments