Thread: New headphones

User Info Menu

Default New headphones

Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones a while back. These things are nice. Super clear no static sound, decent bass, nice highs. The best part is that they are a sound abating design. So I don't have to wear my ear plugs with my old headphones to protect me from myself, and have to blast the music in order to hear it through the plugs. Now I can hear the music nice and clean and can hear myself playing better than before.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Default Re: New headphones

Congrats on the headphones. I finally bought a pair myself for the same reason. I got the Vic Firth. What a difference. I can hear the music much better and still hear the drums without it being so loud. My eardrums are very happy.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

I have some earbuds that came with my 80gb Zune, and I use them for the same purpose. I can hardly hear my drums with them in, so I am able to turn the music down. With my old earbuds, I would be deaf for some time after playing because I had to turn the music up so loud. I would really like some over the ear kind like yours. I am sure they are a heck of a lot more comfortable than earbuds.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    Congrats on the headphones. I finally bought a pair myself for the same reason. I got the Vic Firth. What a difference. I can hear the music much better and still hear the drums without it being so loud. My eardrums are very happy.
    Yeah, I was procrastinating for a while not wanting to spend the $100.00 bucks to, but the difference is night and day. I'm glad I spent the cash. I found that I was trying to play to loud to compensate. I can already see a difference in my playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    I have some earbuds that came with my 80gb Zune, and I use them for the same purpose. I can hardly hear my drums with them in, so I am able to turn the music down. With my old earbuds, I would be deaf for some time after playing because I had to turn the music up so loud. I would really like some over the ear kind like yours. I am sure they are a heck of a lot more comfortable than earbuds.
    I hated the feel of the High Fidelity plugs after only a half hour or less. Sounds like you have the right plugs but the phones are a lot more comfortable like you say. Save a little every week and put it away, you won't be sorry.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I have had some of those before, they truly are wonderful headphones. Sennheiser is my favorite brand for microphones, even though I can never hope to afford them. It attracted me straight off their shape, fits around my ears instead of pinching up against them. A real plus when i'm playing for hours on end! Great purchase.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

nice, got me a pair of 380s this christmas, big step up from the 202s, sennheiser=amazing regardless of your price range

User Info Menu

I think I have the same pair. They fold up nicely for travel, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones a while back. These things are nice. Super clear no static sound, decent bass, nice highs. The best part is that they are a sound abating design. So I don't have to wear my ear plugs with my old headphones to protect me from myself, and have to blast the music in order to hear it through the plugs. Now I can hear the music nice and clean and can hear myself playing better than before.
    I'm with you wolvie. I don't have Sennheiser headphones, but I do have a pair of ableplanet noise cancelling headphones that do the same thing. They protect my ears from the drums and allows me to keep the music at a much lower level. Definately makes playing much more enjoyable and protecting yourself from hearing loss at the same time.

Enjoy the new headset!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I have had some of those before, they truly are wonderful headphones. Sennheiser is my favorite brand for microphones, even though I can never hope to afford them. It attracted me straight off their shape, fits around my ears instead of pinching up against them. A real plus when i'm playing for hours on end! Great purchase.
    Yeah. Very comfortable. I don't even feel them on.

Quote Originally Posted by cm44 View Post
    nice, got me a pair of 380s this christmas, big step up from the 202s, sennheiser=amazing regardless of your price range
    Awesome. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I think I have the same pair. They fold up nicely for travel, too.
    Yeah, they fold up very small. Good design. The Germans always make good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    I'm with you wolvie. I don't have Sennheiser headphones, but I do have a pair of ableplanet noise cancelling headphones that do the same thing. They protect my ears from the drums and allows me to keep the music at a much lower level. Definately makes playing much more enjoyable and protecting yourself from hearing loss at the same time.

Enjoy the new headset!
    Thanks, man. You as well!
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Even the basic Sennheiser HD202 is value for money...I use them for my electric kit with late nite practices.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

i use shooting muffs with earbuds under... works perfectly and makes the drums sound reaaaally good.
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

I'm looking at those babies myself.

All I have is a CD boom box to play music too.

Will it work well enough with the 280s?.

Any suggestions on an affordable way to get music to practice to?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I recently bought some JVC's for the same purpose - makes quite a difference doesnt it?
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

dave0549jv Guest

i just picked up a set of these the other day as a birthday present to my father. i was really pleased with how they sounded, and thankfully, so was he.

User Info Menu

I'm now looking at a pair of these on Ebay. Thanks for the advice Wolvie!

I'm joining the Sennheiser HD280 bandwagon!
    Last edited by jaguar36023; 02-02-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: I won the auction!
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Just received my headphones today! I like them a lot. Nice bass and overall sound. They are indeed very comfortable on the ears. My previous phones were the Vic Firth sound isolation head phones and they slightly pinch the ears. It was only noticable after long periods of playing though. The only down thing I have to say about the Sennheiser HD 280's is that they are a bit bulky. But that doesn't have anything to do with the performance. And the performance is great! Thanks for posting the great review Wolvie. It's much appreciated.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Can gift me a set of those too?

User Info Menu

They look real nice! :D

I'm just using buds at the moment, and I'm liking them at the moment, but the music can hurt your ears if you are trying to get equal levels.

I think I'm going to look into a pair of headphones like this, they look much nicer to use

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Maybe it's my champagne taste.....I use a set of Bose quite comfort over-the-ear design. They are pricey but worth every penny! They are not marketed for drummers, but they serve the purpose of complete isolation very very well!

User Info Menu

I bought the sennheiser HD 280's and they are so much better than my EX-25's it's ridiculous.. A little more money but well well worth it IMO. I actually have to lift one off my ear a tad too hear my drums while playing to a cd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones a while back. These things are nice.
    I've been looking for new isolation headphones. After reading reviews on a couple of web sites I'm leaning toward these. Do they work well with small devices like an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmStick View Post
    Maybe it's my champagne taste.....I use a set of Bose quite comfort over-the-ear design. They are pricey but worth every penny! They are not marketed for drummers, but they serve the purpose of complete isolation very very well!
    I borrowed a set of these for a few weeks last year. They were awesome. They did such a good job of isolation the drums sounded weird. Super comfortable too.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review Wolvie. I picked up a set of these today with a 15% off coupon. I'm looking forward to using them. At GC they sounded light years ahead of what I'm using now.