Thread: Rests help! Urgent

User Info Menu

Default Rests help! Urgent

Ok, first time I asked for help like this, I need to know while playing 16th notes, how many notes does an 8th note rest go till? Does it end on the "&" of 1? (1 e &) a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a To clarify, I think that the duration of an 8th note rest is in the parentheses of the diagram I just put out above, please tell me if I am wrong, and how long the rest goes!
    This is really confusing, and makes a lot more sense when I say it verbally.
    ( I need the answer by Friday morning!)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rests help! Urgent

DR, think of it this way. There will be two 16th notes to an 8th note. So if your 16th notes are counted 1 e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a in 4/4 time, then the 8th notes are counted 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. Therefore, your 8th note rest in 16th note counting, using your parentheses would take two counts and look like this:

(1 e) & a, 2 e (& a), 3 (e &) a, 4 e & a - each parentheses covering two counts.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rests help! Urgent

If you're counting 16th notes, an 1/8 note rest will equal two of those 1/16th note counts....examples as follows:

1(e)+(a) is 2 1/8th notes played on "1" & "+".

1e+(a) is 3 1/16th notes played on "1e+", followed by a 1/16th note rest. However, you can also say (and therefore write) it as 2 1/16th's and an 1/8th, as the last 1/16th note in the group ("+") can be joined to the 1/16th note rest. So "+" 's note value can be changed to an 1/8th, as mathematically as we all know, 1/16 +1/16 = 1/8.

1e(+a) is 2 1/16th notes played on "1e", followed by an 1/8th note rest....this is because in this example, two 1/16th note rests can be added together. BUT if the very last rest was changed to a 1/6th note, it'd be very different, as you will then have 1e(+)a.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8