Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Combo

The bass reso is a retro screen which is essentially a noiseless responseless drumhead. Useful for "keeping the look" of your bass drum so to speak. By that I mean you are going for the sound of a resoless bass drum, but you need a drumhead on it for whatever reason(you don't want to store rims/hardware elsewhere, or you need the drum to stay in round, etc). It's the same soundwise as not having a head, so if you need more of an interaction between batter and reso this isn't the head for you. If you need simpler tuning or are genuinely after the sound properties of resoless but don't like the look of resoless i'd say use the retro screen.

G2's are tried and true excellent heads. Some say they are a bit more damped than other brands, but that should only be considered a valid opinion if it's based on testing different brands of the same head technology against each other on the same drum and tunings. I personally love them, I don't think you can ever go wrong with a standard 2 ply head be it coated or clear. They are widely popular and if sound is any indication, you can certainly see why people have come to that conclusion. Can't comment on the onyx or black resonant because I have not tried them yet.

You might try going to Evans website for graphs and comparisons for how each head is reported to respond. It may or may not be 100% accurate because Evans was in charge of the tests and wrote the results themselves, but it's as good a guide as any.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I KNOW the retro screen is noiseless, I think the Onyx will do enough. I also looked at their graphs myself.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I've used and currently have Remo black resonant heads on my kit. I like them a lot for both the way they look on my kit and for their sound. They're a little warmer than a standard clear reso head. The drum bible explains it much better than I can. Check out the link under "Head Construction and Concepts" where they talk about the difference in sound that the various heads make (Including Ebony).
    http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

One note to make, I'm currently using all Remo Ebony Ambo's on my toms except for my 10" tom. I put an Evans Ebony on this tom because the store didn't have a 10" Ebony Remo in stock. The Remo heads are 10 mil thick and the Evans heads are 7 mil. I did notice that my 10" didn't resonate quite as much as my other toms. So, because they're thicker, I went to a different store and found a 10" Ebony Remo to put on it. I haven't had the chance to put it on to see if it makes a noticable difference or not, but I'm fairly confident that it will.

I use both Evans and Remo heads on my kits and I don't have a preference for one over the other. Both companies make great heads. I've used G2 coated heads and have been very pleased. I typically like coated heads more than clear ones. The Hazy 300 is also a great head as well. As for your choice of heads for the kick, I don't have any experience with either one and can't offer you any feedback on them.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

You will lose all bounce in your pedal if you put the screen on. If you are already playing without a resonant head, well then nothing will change.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You will lose all bounce in your pedal if you put the screen on. If you are already playing without a resonant head, well then nothing will change.
    and that is why i play with zero tension on my bass's ,i hate the bounce
    MAPEX MAFIA

Larrysperf Guest

All of the above

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    and that is why i play with zero tension on my bass's ,i hate the bounce
    Exactly! Sometimes it bounces so much I get a bruise on my ankle!
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Not a fan of the retroscreen heads. The mesh will actually start to wear and tear your bearing edge down. You could just put a normal reso head on your bass drum and just not tune it up at all. Just finger tighten it and that would be enough for the same effect. But you would not have to worry about damage, and it would look better as well.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I agree with Rabid about the kick drum reso.

As for the G2's, it's what I have on my snare and my tom batters and I just love the sound of them. I have the coated version and they're nice and warm without too much "plasticy" attack sound, and they let my drums resonate just the right amount.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I also agree with rabid a yohin but also dont forget to check out aquarian and remo all 3 companies make great heads it just depends on the sound you want
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Change O Plan- I will replace the G2 Coated with J1 Etched
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Unfortunately head shopping is a little more difficult than one would come to believe. Unlike certain other types of goods, you can't just try it and return it. Once the material has been, by the distributor's definition anyway, consumed- the item is unreturnable. So it's kind of a one shot deal, buy and try and wait till you get a chance to try another set of heads next time. As you can see, there is a wealth of threads on drumchat because first time buyers really want to make sure they know what they're getting before putting down the money.

If you're anything like me, if you have to spend X amount of money on something unreturnable, you're going to research research research until you feel confident that "this is the head combo for me". That's really the only thing we can do, ask questions and listen to any sound of the heads we can. Some of the more experienced members will know exactly or at least the ballpark idea of what certain heads will do for you soundwise, so it never hurts to ask.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    unfortunately head shopping is a little more difficult than one would come to believe. Unlike certain other types of goods, you can't just try it and return it. Once the material has been, by the distributor's definition anyway, consumed- the item is unreturnable. So it's kind of a one shot deal, buy and try and wait till you get a chance to try another set of heads next time. As you can see, there is a wealth of threads on drumchat because first time buyers really want to make sure they know what they're getting before putting down the money.

If you're anything like me, if you have to spend x amount of money on something unreturnable, you're going to research research research until you feel confident that "this is the head combo for me". That's really the only thing we can do, ask questions and listen to any sound of the heads we can. Some of the more experienced members will know exactly or at least the ballpark idea of what certain heads will do for you soundwise, so it never hurts to ask.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I have been researching, I think it is a great combo!
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grampire View Post
    I have been researching, I think it is a great combo!
    Then by all means go for it.

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Does anyone agree that I should get J1 Etched?
    (Instead of G2 Coated, that is)
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Do you play jazz? The 7 mil. J1 is a bit thinner than the single ply 10 mil. G-1 and way thinner than the 12 mil. G-Plus and way, way thinner than the 2x7 mil. G-2.

I used to use the J-1 when I was primarily using Hot Rods, but they are a bit too thin for heavier playing IMO.

User Info Menu

Though I do specialize in rock, I play VERY softly (This is mainly to preserve the shell). It also has an ideal tone for my playing style.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

maybe a G1 would be better, even if you hit lightly.

-TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I agree with Rabid about the kick drum reso.

As for the G2's, it's what I have on my snare and my tom batters and I just love the sound of them. I have the coated version and they're nice and warm without too much "plasticy" attack sound, and they let my drums resonate just the right amount.
    whats on the reso for toms..G1?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Hmm... You may be right.
    livewire80, Resonant Black
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grampire View Post
    Though I do specialize in rock, I play VERY softly (This is mainly to preserve the shell)...
    Interesting. I've never had a problem with my shells in regards to how hard I hit the head.

User Info Menu

Best of luck on the head choice, I have always gone on the opinion of others being I have little experience on different heads. I currently have Aquarian response II's across all the toms. Keep us posted on your choice and results. F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Interesting. I've never had a problem with my shells in regards to how hard I hit the head.
    Hitting the head very hardly may disturb the rim, whitch in turn may scratch the shell.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks