Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books

User Info Menu

Default Books

I'm always interested to hear what people have been reading for pleasure (or study, or work). I've always just devoured books, and love reading.

Lately, I've been chewing through Thomas Pynchons 'Against the Day', which is just amazing (always loved his stuff). As well as reading the Cerebus series of graphic novels - I'm going through the whole thing from beginning to end, it's a massive feat - 300 instalments of a story that starts of as a parody of Conan the Barbarian, but ends up being a religio-philosophical treatise, including vast sections on feminism, power and belief, politics, etc.)

I really dig a lot of contemporary fiction, sci-fi and history as well, but haven't found much lately that peaks my interest.

What about you?

User Info Menu

Cool Books

I enjoy reading histories and biographies and, bein' a gearhead--as in car fanatic--I enjoy reading about cars, particularly those from the 1950s through 1980s. (That includes cars from Australia, BTW; I am amazed that the Ford Falcon is one of Australia's favorite rides, even though the Falcon was discontinued in the U. S. in 1970! You may also remember my comments about the Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO.)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Im a fan of fiction, sci-fi and fantasy books. My favorite author is currently R.A. Salvatore, followed by Douglas Adams. I never read my books twice in a four year period, which is ok because I have a lot of books.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I read quite alot, am currently about half way through Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" and just finished Rob Bells "Velvet Elvis". I also like graphic novels, ok, comics. Seriously though one of my favourite books of all time would be "The Tomorrow When the War Began" series that I read in high school. I also really do like the Harry Poter books. They are really well written.

Ooooh, I also recently read this book called Patrick, which is about this guy who goes from being a member of, I think, Roman, aristocracy, becomes a slave in Ireland, escapes, then becomes a slave again, then ends up as a Druid. And another one called "Spartan". Excellent bit of fiction about one fo the last Spartan warriors. I read that a couple years ago though before this movie came out, so that has nothign to do with it.

I also like Michael Crichton novels. And much like BBro, I LOVE my cars, so I am constantly reading up on car mags, and newspaper editorials and such.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I am reading now THE FIFTH DAY. I don't really like it, but i've already red 500 pages and just don't want to quit it (eventhough i've got 400 more to go).

But here's the great news: My wife is going to publish her first novel! Yesterday she signed the edition agreement. Listen to the title, it's great: Sunglasses for rainy days (in spanish "gafas de sol para dias de lluvia").
    I'll tell you when it is translated so you can buy it before she wins the Novel.

User Info Menu

I usually read biographies, although I haven't been reading much lately, the last book I think I read was Neil Peart's Roadshow which was an excellent Christmas present I received last year.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I just finished reading "Mina drömmars stad" A book about stockholm in the 1860. BOOORRRIIINGGGGG!

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    I just finished reading "Mina drömmars stad" A book about stockholm in the 1860. BOOORRRIIINGGGGG!
    Why? Like not why was it boring, but why did you read it?

User Info Menu

The whole class was to read it. I guess its an okay book. As a portrait of a past time its great. Its just that not much happens in the book and its quite a lot of pages.

User Info Menu

just finished the fall or reach from the halo series
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I've been reading "The World According To Jeremy Clarkson: Volume 2" at the present moment.

But I'm also reading through the "Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks.

I've also downloaded Steven Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

I enjoy reading books on philosophy, humourous books and series. I've read the Tomorrow Series like crazyman, which is excellent, and I've read 4 of the Harry Potter books, but I think I grew out of those a while ago.

My next task after reading the Zombie Survival Guide is to read either "The God Delusion" or "The Art Of War". Either would be a fascinating read, I think.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I've been reading "The World According To Jeremy Clarkson: Volume 2" at the present moment.

But I'm also reading through the "Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks.

I've also downloaded Steven Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

I enjoy reading books on philosophy, humourous books and series. I've read the Tomorrow Series like crazyman, which is excellent, and I've read 4 of the Harry Potter books, but I think I grew out of those a while ago.

My next task after reading the Zombie Survival Guide is to read either "The God Delusion" or "The Art Of War". Either would be a fascinating read, I think.

HB58
    Good list there man! Impressive.

That Max Brooks book is hilarious. He's also published a novel called 'World War Z' about 'the zombie wars' and their aftermath. Check it out - I LOVE zombies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    I enjoy reading histories and biographies and, bein' a gearhead--as in car fanatic--I enjoy reading about cars, particularly those from the 1950s through 1980s. (That includes cars from Australia, BTW; I am amazed that the Ford Falcon is one of Australia's favorite rides, even though the Falcon was discontinued in the U. S. in 1970! You may also remember my comments about the Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO.)
    I had a ride in a souped up classic GT Ford Falcon last night (leather interior, bucket seats, blower in the hood). It was a real experience. But it did sound suspiciously like taking a ride on top of a lawnmower.

User Info Menu

Cool Books

Jobby, I forgot to say that there is an Aussie Falcon not too far from where I live...haven't gotten close enough to determine what model year or series it is, but it looks like a GT hardtop and doesn't look like any Ford product ever offered stateside...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Cool Books

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    I am reading now THE FIFTH DAY. I don't really like it, but i've already red 500 pages and just don't want to quit it (eventhough i've got 400 more to go).

But here's the great news: My wife is going to publish her first novel! Yesterday she signed the edition agreement. Listen to the title, it's great: Sunglasses for rainy days (in spanish "gafas de sol para dias de lluvia").
    I'll tell you when it is translated so you can buy it before she wins the Novel.
    Hey, hermano, I like the Spanish title better--it has more of a beat to it than "Sunglasses for Rainy Days." Hope your wife does well with her book!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Jobby, I forgot to say that there is an Aussie Falcon not too far from where I live...haven't gotten close enough to determine what model year or series it is, but it looks like a GT hardtop and doesn't look like any Ford product ever offered stateside...

Wow, that's, well, just cool really. Try and snap a photo of it or something and send it my way and I'll see if I can identify it for ya.

User Info Menu

I thourght that id relive this thread. Im currently reading over nightingale floor. by....oh well ive for getten. Good book though. Its basicly a fantsy book but it could well be realyty. Extremly well written. Its not really a fantasy in the regular sense though. No dragonslaying and stuff.

User Info Menu

Currently I'm reading lots of things about drumming and guitar playing. Also, since I teach 2 Bible study classes each week, I am also reading the Bible for those classes, as well as enjoyment, and sermon preparation. I don't have time to read the newspaper, so I also read online news stories to keep up on current events. When I read novels, I usually like science fiction, but I also try to see what religious material my congregation is reading, and I will read that, just so that I can understand what they are dealing with.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Shazane Guest

I'm a huge fan of fantasy, sword and sorcery, scifi, and horror.

My absolute unquestionable favorite author is Michael Moor**** (WHO'S NAME GOT CENSORED THAT IS BS ITS HIS NAME NOT A STAND ALONE WORD YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!! HIS NAME IS M-O-O-R-C-O-C-K DONT YOU DARE CENSOR HIM!!!!!) and the best books I have ever read in my life and ever hope to are The Elric Saga.

I'm also a huge fan of Stephen King and the Dark Tower series. This series is pretty much very genre imaginable, seriously, if you like fiction of any sort whatsoever you should pick up The Gunslinger today!

I also love Tolkien, and Robert Jordan somewhat, but Tolkien was waaay better.

And I absolutely love Dystopian stories, like Brave New World, and A Clockwork Orange.

Here are some of my own writings if anyone would be interested:
    http://www.mibba.com/stories/overview-author/6487/

User Info Menu

I've read a few fantasy books. Warcraft novels and stuff
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I love Terry Pratchett novels.
    But I also picked up two interesting books in the library before I went on holiday. One was a horror-comedy type book that centred around a political plot. And the other? Well, quite possibly one of the most genious things ever...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Roflol There's an oxymoron, if ever there was one!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Nowadays it TRULY is. That wasnt always the case in medievil times.

User Info Menu

I'm reading Kite Runner, anyone read it?

User Info Menu

So very true. A lot of terrible things have happened in the name of religion. Still are. As long as there are charismatic people with ulterior motives, there will be people who will follow them - both in "religion," and outside of "religion."