Thread: Name that drum!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Name that drum!

I cannot find anywhere the name of the curved shell drums that came out years ago.The shells were bent to look like the end of a sax with no reso heads on them.This is really bugging me because I have been all over the net with many different searches and no results at all. If anyone can remember their name,please post it here.I hate trying to tell someone about something that I don`t know the name of or can`t explain what I mean.This happens all the time lately.Old age is a drag,Mick Jagger was right.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Name that drum!

Either North drums

or Staccato's

User Info Menu

There was also Trixon Drums:

*In the interest of family friendliness, let's post the pic. - PB*

User Info Menu

Yep, that's right, those three brands mentioned. Trixon also had that bass drum which looked like a flat tire in profile LOL.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

There were drums in Rivers link, I was distracted lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Just looked, LOL.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

How would you buy a bass head for those trixon?
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    I dont think you can anymore.

User Info Menu

my thinking exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    i had the same thought when i saw that bass...
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

According to the hype back in the day, the shape of the bass drum had a lot of thought put into it. It wasn't arbitrary. It was all about shaping, pun intended, the sound of the drum. The shape controls overtone and rings. Can't say I ever remember actually seeing a set at the time. Between Ed Sullivan, Shanagins, American Bandstand, etc., it seems like they would have showed up somewhere?

Checked Ebay, no heads but there is a bass drum hoop for sale. Any nostalgia collectors here?

User Info Menu

Thank you Northern Redneck! It was the North drums I was thinking of!I like the looks of the Staccato`s even better! The Trixons look like they got melted,lol.When I first saw the North drums I got the idea to remove my reso heads and have left them that way ever since.I thought they would project the sound better without them.

Far out!It`s just like this place to ask about something and not only get the answer but find out more cool info.than I needed!Thank you all for your input!Now I can sleep tonight!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

North Drums or any concert style drums are incredibly LOUD!

User Info Menu

How much do North's sell for? They look pretty fun to play. Might have a hard time setting them up flat though haha.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The trixon drum also allowed for two pedals to be placed on the drum allowing for 2 bass drum sounds.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    How much do North's sell for? They look pretty fun to play. Might have a hard time setting them up flat though haha.
    Wait 'til you try to buy cases...

User Info Menu

My first kit was given to me, it was a Trixon. The kick batter broke on me, and an uncle tried to patch it with fiberglass. That didn't last. We were never able to find a replacement, so the kit went, and I got a 4pc Stewart kit.

The Speedfire came with two kick pedals, and bass drum had a divider inside. I guess the idea was the different shape of the chambers would produce 2 different sounds.

You can get a replacement head now, made by Remo for 160 euro + shipping from Germany.

This is not my kit, but the same as the one I had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    Thank you Northern Redneck! It was the North drums I was thinking of!I like the looks of the Staccato`s even better! The Trixons look like they got melted,lol.When I first saw the North drums I got the idea to remove my reso heads and have left them that way ever since.I thought they would project the sound better without them.

Far out!It`s just like this place to ask about something and not only get the answer but find out more cool info.than I needed!Thank you all for your input!Now I can sleep tonight!
    North drums had a factory in Kent England. Hence the word "had" they no longer exist, so finding a set of North drums will not be a easy task. They are considered collector items now pretty much. There is a Yahoo group that might assist you in finding you dream kit.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Question Re: Name that drum!

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    My first kit was given to me, it was a Trixon. The kick batter broke on me, and an uncle tried to patch it with fiberglass. That didn't last. We were never able to find a replacement, so the kit went, and I got a 4pc Stewart kit.

The Speedfire came with two kick pedals, and bass drum had a divider inside. I guess the idea was the different shape of the chambers would produce 2 different sounds.

You can get a replacement head now, made by Remo for 160 euro + shipping from Germany.

This is not my kit, but the same as the one I had.

Are you sure the bass isn't squashed down from the weight of the snare,2 toms and cymbal cause that sure looks kind of heavy on her.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-23-2011 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Pink Trixon's available for $7000, that's right although they will entertain offers over $5000, if anyone is interested!

http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3m63...d3c7271dbe.jpg

User Info Menu

Remo will make a Custom head for the Trixon . I think only in single ply . I know someone who had one made a few years ago . Cost to the Music Store that he works @ was around $ 100.00 ... Coated Ambassador .

User Info Menu

My arms hurt just thinking of hauling those Staccato bass drums!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I dont think you can anymore.
    People are in luck these days that have odd shaped heads,

Every six months Remo makes odd shaped drum heads. You have to order them threw your dealer. Ya just have to be patient.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

Ludwig must have made some back in the day cause Good Ol' AVH used them on his whit arsenal.