Thread: help..please

User Info Menu

Default help..please

ok..my dad has taken away all my drumsticks..and not playing is not an option..what can i use around the house to play my drums..i have been using pens..but thats horrible because theyre so short..i was thinking maybe i could go to lowes/home depot and buy some dowels..even though they wouldnt have drumstick tips..any suggestions!!

User Info Menu

what happened to your sticks man? that sucks! only thing I can suggest is skewer sticks, there like little tiny sticks bunched together, there a lot quiter but a bit cost more then a normal drum sticks

User Info Menu

except skewers are sharp... so they can skew things.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

i got in trouble @ school..and the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion..short story..my dad took all my stix..and i'm mad

User Info Menu

Want some advice? Sorry if it is none of my bussines, but i believe that your dad doesn't want just to "bother" you. He wants you to think about what's happened. He will be more than happy if you tell him that you understand him, you can see your own mistake, and you will try to do what's right. Your dad is probably scared with the possibility that you can't see (or don't want to do) the right thing.
    Sorry if I'm overanswering.

User Info Menu

I made a pair of sticks out of dowel rod before, just grind or sand off the sharp edges. I also made a set of power rods out of skewer sticks once. I taped a bunch together and the sharp ends were all at the handle and I taped the heck out of the handle and they worked ok.

I know it's hard to quit cold turkey so next time hide a pair of sticks your dad doesn't know about.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Ok, let's think about this, guys: We're giving advice to a kid about how to escape his punishment. Anyone here think maybe that's a bit inappropriate?

Sorry, man, but getting in trouble is not "no big deal." Not everyone will be a famous drummer in a band that makes you millions. School is what is going to get you the things you want in life (those A Customs, that Mapex Saturn), so don't mess it up.

User Info Menu

I agree. If you just behaved in school you wouldnt have this problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sholmes2112
    Ok, let's think about this, guys: We're giving advice to a kid about how to escape his punishment. Anyone here think maybe that's a bit inappropriate?

Sorry, man, but getting in trouble is not "no big deal." Not everyone will be a famous drummer in a band that makes you millions. School is what is going to get you the things you want in life (those A Customs, that Mapex Saturn), so don't mess it up.
    sholmes, I salute you. Members of the parent police unite!!

User Info Menu

o god..if u guys knew what happened..u would laugh and know it was no big deal. Thanx for the others tips.

User Info Menu

Yeah man i dont have any advice, i do however have a comment. Being 16 myself and going to highschool its a full time job, and we all make mistakes, we should be punished by taking away something we love, that makes us not want to do the things we dont love. So those parents i completely respect what you are saying i just disagree. I know if my parents took away my sticks or my drums i would be absolutely depressed and probably wouldnt do any of my school work, not to get back at them, but i mean if you have nothing to look forward to whats the point?? Just my opinion

User Info Menu

I'm a parent, and I don't think you should have your drum sticks taken away. That's completely counterproductive! It makes me think of the guitar player's dad in School of Rock.

User Info Menu

I don't agree with him taking your drumsticks..... I'm all about taking cell phones, computers and friends away but not a musical instrument (just my .02)
    Last edited by drum_chick; 05-04-2007 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

thanx..the skewers wrapped in tape worked out alright..ill just use those for now..but my dad says doing that is going to make him want to sell my drums even more

grasslander Guest

Oh, that takes me back! I've used pens too Yeah, they're too short, and sometimes they kind of explode; they do help with finger work, though. The dowels are a good idea; if you can find birch it'll be tougher, and have more weight and better feel, than the ramin wood so often used now. I remember reading that Neil Peart used to drum on the edge of his sister's crib with a pair of chopsticks, but that only does when you need to be quiet.