Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cymbal recommendation template

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Cymbal recommendation template

N I M ....... that is extremely well written. !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeporter View Post
    This is my first post on the board.
    Thank you all for the info as I am currently on the prowl for a set of cymbals to go with my kit. I find that the variety is mind bending. This post will help me to make more informed choices. This is a terrific place for me as I have just picked up my first kit only two months ago.
    Welcome to Drum Chat wedgeporter! It can be a bit mind boggling at first, but feel free to ask any questions because the folks around here are great about helping out.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Glad this is a sticky. Good guide u got here bro. It was great to read. The XS20's are a must in the intermediate section.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeporter View Post
    This is my first post on the board.
    Thank you all for the info as I am currently on the prowl for a set of cymbals to go with my kit. I find that the variety is mind bending. This post will help me to make more informed choices. This is a terrific place for me as I have just picked up my first kit only two months ago.
    You've come to the right place! Many helpful and knowledgeable folks around here!

User Info Menu

Great Advice man. I would say though, that you can upgrade from stock cymbals to USed Pro level cymbals
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Just need to also mention the various lines of UFIP's from Italy, the majority of them being suited for professional and semi-pro players. THey are available in the Class, Natural, Bionic, Brilliant, Rough, Extatic and Experience series. They do have a couple of budget lines aimed for students and those on a budget, the Tiger line which are stamped out of bronze sheet metal and the M8 line, which are stamped out of brass. The rest of their bronze products are made by their centrifugal casting (sometimes called roto-casting), they are the only major company that does this. They also draw on the strength and knowledge of the bell making and casting tradition in the town that the company is based in, Pistoia, in Tuscany, North Italy, that has been around since the turn of the last century.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Someone should make a drum set version of this thread. That'd be freakin awesome. It'd really help me to. Get on it smart people!
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Just need to also mention the various lines of UFIP's from Italy, the majority of them being suited for professional and semi-pro players. THey are available in the Class, Natural, Bionic, Brilliant, Rough, Extatic and Experience series. They do have a couple of budget lines aimed for students and those on a budget, the Tiger line which are stamped out of bronze sheet metal and the M8 line, which are stamped out of brass. The rest of their bronze products are made by their centrifugal casting (sometimes called roto-casting), they are the only major company that does this. They also draw on the strength and knowledge of the bell making and casting tradition in the town that the company is based in, Pistoia, in Tuscany, North Italy, that has been around since the turn of the last century.
    Which of their lines might be closed to Zildjian K Custom?
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

bridgeofsouls Guest

Any info on china cymbals? Trying to decide between a European or Chinese style china.

User Info Menu

I know I'll take some heat for writing this but I feel sound characteristics from an intermediate to a pro china (in the same size of course) is a fine line. I have the Zildjian ZHT in 18'' and it does the job, it makes the china sound. Unless someone is so specific on a china sound they want then I guess he/she can take about a year off and find it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this, and keeping it on sticky! I registered on this forum just to participate on this thread!

I've been playing for 6 years now, but I've been stuck with stock cymbals for over 5 years. Finally thinking of an overdue upgrade, and I've been looking at purchasing used A Zildjian cymbals. Mainly due to its reputation, and for being versatile.

I'm a university student and I probably play a several paid gigs a year, but I was thinking of buying for the long term, as I'm sure that drumming is always going to be a big part of my life whatever I do.

Of course, I can't afford to get new A Zildjians, and second hand A Zildjian are hard to find. Even when I find one the price is still hard to swallow.

So now I'm thinking of settling for the XS20. The "XS20 Complete Set" has exactly every cymbal that I'd ask for, at precisely the right sizes, so that's a major selling point for me, as well as being much cheaper.

So can anyone confirm that the XS20 is a good budget alternative to the A Zildjians? What will I be missing if I were to get the XS20?

User Info Menu

There is actually a quite big difference in A's and XS20's. I'm actually going to get some A's soon. I didn't hate the XS20's, but I definitely like the A's the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skisagooner View Post
    Thanks for posting this, and keeping it on sticky! I registered on this forum just to participate on this thread!

I've been playing for 6 years now, but I've been stuck with stock cymbals for over 5 years. Finally thinking of an overdue upgrade, and I've been looking at purchasing used A Zildjian cymbals. Mainly due to its reputation, and for being versatile.

I'm a university student and I probably play a several paid gigs a year, but I was thinking of buying for the long term, as I'm sure that drumming is always going to be a big part of my life whatever I do.

Of course, I can't afford to get new A Zildjians, and second hand A Zildjian are hard to find. Even when I find one the price is still hard to swallow.

So now I'm thinking of settling for the XS20. The "XS20 Complete Set" has exactly every cymbal that I'd ask for, at precisely the right sizes, so that's a major selling point for me, as well as being much cheaper.

So can anyone confirm that the XS20 is a good budget alternative to the A Zildjians? What will I be missing if I were to get the XS20?
    Welcome to Drum Chat!

The XS20s are waaay underrated. I wouldn't even place them in the "budget" category. All of my cymbals are high-end Zildjians and Sabians except for the extra ride cymbal I have - an XS20 Medium Ride. This cymbal does not sound like a step down in any way. My regular ride is a 20" Sabian HH Medium Ride, but the XS20 sits perfectly in the mix when I need brighter ping and bell. I visited Guitar Center today to play the new Big & Ugly cymbals, and I ran across a very sweet sounding XS20 Medium Ride. The AAX sitting next to it didn't sound nearly as impressive. As always, when it comes to B20 cymbals, it depends on the individual cymbal.

I am not as impressed with most of the XS20 crashes I've heard, but I've heard some that I would use in a heartbeat. Same for the hi hats. Like any other cymbal, I would need to play them before purchasing.

If the XS20 line - specifically the complete set - is in your budget, and you cannot afford used "As," I would highly recommend trying them. If you are not satisfied, use your return privilege and send them back.

Sabian has made a real contribution to the budget-strapped drumming community by offering the only B20 cymbals in the price range. You cannot lose by trying t hem, and I'll wager you will like them, too.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skisagooner View Post

Xs20's are excellent cymbals. I also bought the complete pack in brilliant finish. I have been playing them for over three years and have had zero problems. They also sound really good. Hope this helps.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

"XS20 (Sabian): Intermediate cymbals made of B20 bronze. They are the only full line of cast cymbals offered at such a low price point. They're made the same way as professional cast cymbals, but they aren't hammered. Less work to make them means less money you have to spend on them".

I also saw a video or read in another blog that these are the same as AA/AAX's but to help with the cost, they are machine lathed instead of hand lathed. No AA/AAX's are hand hammered. Only the HH line is hand hammered. HH=Hand Hammered.
    Last edited by tamashane; 02-10-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    "XS20 (Sabian): Intermediate cymbals made of B20 bronze. They are the only full line of cast cymbals offered at such a low price point. They're made the same way as professional cast cymbals, but they aren't hammered. Less work to make them means less money you have to spend on them".

I also saw a video or read in another blog that these are the same as AA/AAX's but to help with the cost, they are machine lathed instead of hand lathed. No AA/AAX's are hand hammered. Only the HH line is hand hammered. HH=Hand Hammered.
    And AA is short for Automated Anvil I'm pretty sure as well, just to reinforce your comment
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Great info here. You can also look at bestcovery.com at cymbals. It's a review site that pretty much agrees with everything you've mentioned here. I would also add, if you like the Zildjian A's or other pro level cymbal and can't afford the used on s in your local shop then shop, shop, shop online until you find the cymbal you really want at the right price. That's what I did and ended up with great cymbals at great prices....
    Sabian AAX 14" Stage Hats
    Istanbul Agop Traditional 8" Splash
    Istanbul Agop Traditional 10" Splash
    Istanbul Mehmet Sultan 14" Medium Crash
    Zildjian A 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Medium Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 20" Ping Ride
    Agazarian 16" China
    ...and not one of them cost over $150. Don't feel the need to replace ALL your cymbals at once and don't feel the need to stick to all one brand or line of cymbals. Mix and match to find the right sound for you (plus it's a lot of fun hitting the stores and playing them all before going home to get online to find used ones at the right price).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    And AA is short for Automated Anvil I'm pretty sure as well, just to reinforce your comment
    you are correct sir

User Info Menu

I have always liked Zildjian cymbals better than Sabian

User Info Menu

Zildjians sound lab project 391 cymbals are b15 grade, and are a bit like paiste signatures but at a much lower price point. I had a chance to play them, and thought they were very nice. Not b20 but still a quality cymbal.

Zildjian Amir cymbals were a budget cymbal that were actually pretty nice . Similar to an a custom but a bit muted and less body. As the Amir line progressed the quality went down. The amir2's weren't nearly as nice

As for wuhans, I've noticed that some sound amazing and some sound atrocious. They have a ton of potential, but it seems like the quality can vary greatly. These are a cymbal that definitely has to be played before buying in my opinion.

A large portion of my collection are saluda's . I know that there are people who hate them , but they are all b20 grade cymbals. The prices are very affordable and I personally think they are really nice cymbals. They mix well with my a customs, aax's, wuhans etc.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any drummer . The tough part about saludas are that you don't get to hear them before buying since they don't have distribution,
    but they do a pretty good job of making what you ask for.

Also worth noting, pretty much any endorsed signature line is gonna be of high quality but usually at a high price point.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Zultan cymbals must be here! I don't know how available they are in US, but in Europe they are. Price to sound ratio is amazing.

User Info Menu

Did they get permission to use a name that starts with Z?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I would like to add to this that buying used is a good way to go. Also, it is better to have two or three good cymbals than to have a bunch of bad ones. If possible try to hear and play them and stand back and listen to someone else playing them. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    I would like to add to this that buying used is a good way to go. Also, it is better to have two or three good cymbals than to have a bunch of bad ones. If possible try to hear and play them and stand back and listen to some.
    Amen. All good points!