Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage presence

User Info Menu

Default Stage presence

My band is gonna start gigging soon and I really feel like I should work on my stage presence. I kinda look like Neil Peart when I'm playing. It's not a bad thing if you know how Neil operates, but to anybody new watching, they'll think I look bored. I'm definitely comfortable with the songs we play at this point where I don't need to worry, but I don't look like I'm having fun with it even though I am. Any tips?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stage presence

You could always try smiling.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Always true, PB. Usually when there's a moment between me and one of my other bandmates when we pull off something cool, I'll have a pretty big grin on for a while. But during regular playing, I'm pretty stiff. Like how I am in my YouTube vids.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

Peart's drum playing fits his personality...he's naturally an introvert and he doesn't like to show much emotions....and there's nothing wrong with that. But, let me ask you, what are you like when you aren't playing drums. If you're personality fits your stage presence, then that's who you are. Rock on !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Peart's drum playing fits his personality...he's naturally an introvert and he doesn't like to show much emotions....and there's nothing wrong with that. But, let me ask you, what are you like when you aren't playing drums. If you're personality fits your stage presence, then that's who you are. Rock on !
    Yea, that's basically me in a nutshell.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Nothing worse than faking a personality. I'm not exactly a big "smile and bob ya head like Ringo did" kinda guy.......mind you, when the mood hits me I can stick twirl and toss sticks up in the air, etc....when it's somewhat appropriate....e.g.: not at a wedding, LOL. Really though, should let your hands do the talking.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Either be really fat, or move your crashes higher so it makes you do bigger motions, thus making it look like you're putting more into your playing.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

We are all different on stage or off. Some more serious than others but that is just the way it is. Each our own.

User Info Menu

Hmm interesting. Maybe the singer and the guitar players can rehearse a girly dance routine and pick their costumes before the show. Just kidding. Stage presence is more necessary for frontmen, where they are the most seen members of the band and can offer a large majority of the band's image to it's viewers.

The famous ego of singers is just lovely when it's put to proper use, and uses it as energy for the audience to feed off of. Though it isn't quite the same type of presence as a singer demonstrates, drummers have their own way of showing their energy via stick tricks, head banging, etc. Isn't exactly necessary, unless you don't want the other bandmates to hog the stage.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I agree that you should go with your comfort zone on this. That said, I've noted that I enjoy watching bands not because the drummer and all are simultaneously head banging and thrashing at energy peaks in the set, but because they seem to be "communicating" with each other/in sync with each other during the set/gig.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Exactly do what feels right. If your not comfortable, then it wont come across as real. Simply be yourself!
    Some of us are crazier then others.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

Larrysperf Guest

Get a smoke machine there cheap then you dont have to woory about it. Have it set up so your foot can turn it on. Nuff said

User Info Menu

I play like a boss when I'm on stage. If you're not into your own music how can you expect anyone else to be? I throw sticks in the air, twirl them, cross my arms, do the high arm move with my snare hand on slower parts. It's all part of the show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I play like a boss when I'm on stage. If you're not into your own music how can you expect anyone else to be? I throw sticks in the air, twirl them, cross my arms, do the high arm move with my snare hand on slower parts. It's all part of the show.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

As I have said before..play like you normally do...only try to engage the audience with you..what I mean is a quick smile or nod to a " face in the crowd " only if to make them feel special..this used to work for me.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The video is kind of dark, but this is a great example of stage presence

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8BNH5ZrTXM"]YouTube - matt traynor[/ame]

Also, check out any videos of Shannon Larkin playing live. He's crazy!
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

Turn the kit sideways, and play side stage like I do. THe drumming is one of the most visual parts of the show, but with the kit facing forward, in the middle, behind everyone else, no one can see all that's going on.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

All that head flinging is B.S. Guess you have to do something to avert people's attention to make up for your lack of musicianship..
    A good rule of thumb is close your eyes and listen. Then you can tell what it really sounds like. The bottom line is all that stick twirling and head slinging doesn't translate at all to a recording. I do understand showmanship but there are many more clever ways to do that which doesn't interfere with your playing performance. If your playing good and kicking butt and takeing names, stage presence takes care of itself.

User Info Menu

My opinion is, so much of so called showmanship just looks cheesy! I try to make it look as effortless as possiable. I cannot see making over exaggerated movements just to hit a cymbal. I smile allot and interact with the audiance in between songs but as far as head bobbing and arm flailing is just not my style. I try to look like I am having fun and not working all that hard in the process. I can twirl sticks but mostly do that in between songs as well. I never play or fiddle on the drums in between songs either. I feel that overall people are not there to hear me, they want to hear the band as a whole. I just feel it unproffesional to play anything fooling around in between songs or breaks, warming up etc. But that is just my take on acting like a pro and showmanship

User Info Menu

Be yourself and let the music take you to where you want to be.
    You can tell a lot aboutna drummers personallity from the way he acts when he plays.
    If he isn't putting it on.
    Mmmmmmmm people tell me I look like I'm trying to bash the drums to death in a fit of rage lol.
    But I am a naturally aggressive person I guess
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

OK reality check here. You have to stop looking at this from the musicians view and look at it from A: the audience and B: the promotor/club owner.
    A: The audience is there for a SHOW, and to be honest most of that to them is visual. They arent there to listen to music, if the wanted to do that they would sit at home and listen to their cd's/mp3s. They are there to be entertained. Why do you think acts like Justin Beiber, Nickelback or Avril Lavigne make it so big, its not because of their musical genous, its because they are entertaining as all get out. Bottom line is if youre not entertaining they arent going to come and see you. This leads directly into B.
    B: The promotor/Club Owner doesnt give a rats arse how good your band plays, the only concern they have is how many butts you can get into their venue. Thats it end of story. They arent there to further the local music scene or help a young band get established, they are there to make a buck. If people arent coming to see you, they arent going to book you.

NIM to be honest you look nothing like Neil when you play. While Im not a huge fan of Neil, he definately plays with passion an intensity and a purpose.

User Info Menu

Be yourself and don't think about it. Just do what you do and have fun doing it. Your videos are great btw!

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    OK reality check here. You have to stop looking at this from the musicians view and look at it from A: the audience and B: the promotor/club owner.
    A: The audience is there for a SHOW, and to be honest most of that to them is visual. They arent there to listen to music, if the wanted to do that they would sit at home and listen to their cd's/mp3s. They are there to be entertained. Why do you think acts like Justin Beiber, Nickelback or Avril Lavigne make it so big, its not because of their musical genous, its because they are entertaining as all get out. Bottom line is if youre not entertaining they arent going to come and see you. This leads directly into B.
    B: The promotor/Club Owner doesnt give a rats arse how good your band plays, the only concern they have is how many butts you can get into their venue. Thats it end of story. They arent there to further the local music scene or help a young band get established, they are there to make a buck. If people arent coming to see you, they arent going to book you.

NIM to be honest you look nothing like Neil when you play. While Im not a huge fan of Neil, he definately plays with passion an intensity and a purpose.
    Completely agree 1 billion percent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself. Stage presence is infinitely important when playing shows.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Stage presence

Hey, NIM: The only thing worse than having no stage presence is forcing yourself to be something you're not. Be yourself, man!

Stage presence is something that develops through gigging. If you're just starting, it may take a while to develop. And if you force yourself to look "cool" behind the kit, your audience will pick up on it. I don't know when your first public gig is, of course, but--and this sounds weird-- is there a way you can practice or play in front of a mirror? That way you can watch yourself as your play so you can see how you look to the audience. And, much as you practice your music, you can work on improving your appearance without looking forced or fake.

Another suggestion: If you're comfortable and relaxed behind your kit, it'll be easier to look "cool" as you're playing.

(BTW, Txdrummer, I've been known to make strange faces behind my congas, only no one's ever caught me at it!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck