Thread: Janus Double kick with rotating pedal

User Info Menu

Cool Janus Double kick with rotating pedal

This is my double kick setup- good for an absolute beginner, but proabably a bit to restrictive for me now as the left pedal is a real anoyance for speed. What I ahve found though is it has allwoed me to be better when I get on a more natural pedal becuase my left foot has extra strength and that now. Anyway, just for people who are interested in how it looks, you should be able to see how it works, but if not and you want to, let me know and i'l get anew pic.

"What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

wait... is the left pedal your double bass and high-hat?
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Same question as Daemon... I've been searching for something like that.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Yes it is. My advice is to buy the adapter that alows you to convert a normal doubl-pedal setup to this. I have to look into it more, but the way mine is the left pedal is not a natural action, and is quite stiff and has very little rebound. This is largely because it doesn't use a chain system like normal pedals. But apparently Mapex has made a version of the hi-hat stand that can convert their regular janus pedal system into a version of this, so i think that would be better, but I'm gonna look into it.

User Info Menu

OK but how does that work, if you want your hats closed do you have to leave the left pedal pushing on the bass drum?

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd like that, the whole idea that everytime I close my hats I'll also be using a kick.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

No, the pedal "switches" from side to side....see the little "bumpers" on either side of the broad part of the pedal? If you want hi-hat, you move your foot to the left, and it "switches" to the hi-hat....if you want kick, you slide your foot to the right and it "switches" to double-kick mode.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Hmm... sounds annoying if you ask me. I'll stick to separate pedals

User Info Menu

yea i agree too, it would be to weird to change really fast (in my opinion).

User Info Menu

The rotating action is REALLY smooth and so easy. Not annoying at all. You just pivot your foot slightly back and forward. The only thing that I don't like is what I mentioned above. Other than that it is eaiser than playing seperate pedals because your not actually moving your foot. Although, you can't heel-toe both hi-hat and kick simultaneously, but most people can't anyway, so I doubt that would annoy most people.

User Info Menu

Well I'd have to try it before I'd even think of buying it.

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    Well I'd have to try it before I'd even think of buying it.
    I wouldn't buy anything without trying, so that's sort of a given isn't? WHen I bought it i had enver used double bass, and like I said it was good to start, but now that I want to go fatser it is restrictive, so now I am looking for a way to improve it or replace it with something else.

maybe i'll just get one of those duallist pedals, so that way i don't even need to use my left foot.........just kidding.

User Info Menu

is the design sturdy? i like the concept. i have a dw5000 hi hat/left kick/clave pedal. it has your standard hat stand and pedal with a second pedal mounted on the same base plate directly to the right. that pedal is the slave for my double kick. it has a toe operated switching mechanism that dis engages the kick and allows you to use the left foot for whatever you want to put on the mounting bracket (cowbell, tambourine...ect). pretty nifty but the switching mech. broke within two months. i need to get ahold of dw and try to get the part replaced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    is the design sturdy? i like the concept. i have a dw5000 hi hat/left kick/clave pedal. it has your standard hat stand and pedal with a second pedal mounted on the same base plate directly to the right. that pedal is the slave for my double kick. it has a toe operated switching mechanism that dis engages the kick and allows you to use the left foot for whatever you want to put on the mounting bracket (cowbell, tambourine...ect). pretty nifty but the switching mech. broke within two months. i need to get ahold of dw and try to get the part replaced.
    Yes, the design is very sturdy. That thing has been through the ringer a few times over and nothing in that kick is brocken or worn hardly at all, oh except some rubber covers on the rod that connects the left pedal to the actual beater, but they're nothing.

User Info Menu

The only thing that is any good about a mapex pedal is the tri-tonal beaters. I love having the option of a wooden beater sometimes.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's cool. They sound good and manage good contact. It confuses me why pedals aren't just like that.