Thread: playing for cash...

User Info Menu

Default playing for cash...

do you think leaving an originals band which aint goin anywhere fast in my eyes, to join a cabaret type show band for cash is a wise thing... some people have said these show bands are cheesy and not worth it in the long run!.... but hey i need to but the bread on the table, and it beats my normal job right now. whats your opinions all?
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Can you do both? On the one hand you might miss playing your own music, but on the other hand you might appreciate making money. Any playing experience in my opinion is a good experience so I would go off and try the money making band. If you can do both for a while you really have lost nothing if it doesn't work out.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Are you the one writing the songs? Could you not do a bunch of covers and then see what the band thinks of your songs?

User Info Menu

i play in a cheesy coverband for extra cash. not exactly where i thought my drumming career would be at this time, but i have gotten more notice and more offers for other drumming work since i started doing this about a year ago than i ever did playing in original bands for 20+ years. yeah, it may not be musically satisfying, but it has me out playing and earning an extra 200-400 bucks a week. not very many drummers in my area can say that. it will always be a slim chance to make it big as live band drummer. these kinds of gigs you are talking about are what will get you respect from the professional music community. paying gigs on your resume are good for ya no matter what they are.

User Info Menu

Most pro drummers will play cheesy gigs along the way. It's necessary to eat and pay the bills. It also helps make you more versatile. You'll get small things out of it that you might not even be aware of. The key is to balance it out so that it doesn't bring you down. You don't want to play that stuff all the time or it will depress you.

User Info Menu

The worst day playing is better than the best day roofing, or hanging house insulation, or cleaning out-houses. Anybody who makes a living as a musician is a success, in my book. Unless the instrument is a keytar, of coarse.

User Info Menu

I say try both! I mean that way you could have the satisfaction of building and creating your own music with your band, and getting some cash with the paying band. Also you wont go insane that way playing covers!!!!

User Info Menu

I love cheesy gigs!! hey I'm just happy to play!! I would say try to do both.. Yes the money is nice at times... but I don't play drums to live.... I live to play!!
    Last edited by Musicnut74; 05-04-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Cool playing for cash...

Quote Originally Posted by pauldrums
    do you think leaving an originals band which aint goin anywhere fast in my eyes, to join a cabaret type show band for cash is a wise thing... some people have said these show bands are cheesy and not worth it in the long run!.... but hey i need to but the bread on the table, and it beats my normal job right now. whats your opinions all?
    You answered your own question in the last two lines of your quote...that is, you want to make money and drumming in a show band is, to you, better than your normal job.

We all have to shovel a lot of...uhh...let's call this organic fertilizer...to pay our musical dues. It doesn't take away from bein' creative enough to write and perform your own stuff, but sometimes payin' your dues is needed to pay off down the road...

good luck, mate...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

mmm well thanks all for ya replys! FUNKYMCSTAIN like what you had to say man!
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

The cheesy cover gigs will keep you humble. But don't give up on the big-time.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...