Thread: help for bad habits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default help for bad habits

hey, I've been playing for about a year and a half, I started playing funk rock and classic rock (rhcp, Boston, etc.) and have now moved on to hard rock, alt.rock, alt.metal, etc. due to the funk rock off beats are no problem, but it seems when i get a song that has a rhythm im not very familiar with i cant seem to pick it up, especially if its played on the ride. (hammerhead by the offspring is a good example of what i'm talking about) any advice on what my help me to become more comfortable with these types of rhythms as well as my ride for anything but metal?

User Info Menu

Default Re: help for bad habits

I would say just listen to the drums over and over and try it slow, try to get it then speed it up and again and again until you get it.
    Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car? It took 4 hours to get the bass player out.

Tama Rockstar Series
    8x7"
    10x8"
    12x9"
    16x16
    22x18 bass
    13x6 snare
    ZBT 16'',18'',20''
    Tama IC jr. double pedals.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're trying to leave your comfort zone. Which is great, if you're trying to expand your variety and skill level. Lots of drummers are happy only learning one genre and closing their minds to other ones, which is rather disappointing. If you're having trouble learning the new stuff, you might try dissecting passages of a song one at a time. Can you slow down your songs on the computer with audacity?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Wow, Hammerhead, cool song. I'd never heard it, and I don't think I'd heard of the band. That's not uncommon anymore.

The verses and bridges in the song are very sycopated, and it's an upbeat song vs. a downbeat one. If you've only been playing a year and a half, I'm not surprised you're having trouble with the song. The tempo alone should be a big challenge.

Best way to tackle this is to break everything down to it's components. Don't start by trying to play all of what this drummer is doing at once.
    Work at the quarter note level, add the eights with your comfort level and then go on to the sixtenths. This is another situation where a teacher is a big help. A good teacher can show you how to break music down and then to add on when your abilities allow. I can't imagine how anyone can do that with you over the internet. Maybe with video's, but I can't imagine you'll find someone with that amount of time to offer up to you.

User Info Menu

One thing I have always thought was when playing your cymbals think of them as drum heads...anotherwords remember to let the stick " bounce" in fact...try practicing a rythym only on your cymbals no drums.
    OH almost forgot...WELCOME TO THE CHAT MY FRIEND! and don't forget to......
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

It's a double stroke on hammerhead. If you're trying to wrist both strokes, you'll likely have problems. Keep the constant 8th notes going and use a double stroke roll to get that double strike on the ride when it comes up.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Awesome, Thanks guys!