Thread: Small drum PA

User Info Menu

Default Small drum PA

How many times have you jobbing drummers shown up to a gig and the band has no thought of any drum sound reinforcement. They have main speakers on sticks and Loud guitar amps. As the night goes on your happiness gets more and more limp because the "umph" of the drums are lost. I have been wishing for decades someone would come up with a solution to all drummers club delimna. An easy to use small PA to enhance mainly the lows for drumset. I'm thinking 8 inputs, gate/compressor on each channel, sweepable low EQ, jumper xlr outs on each channel so the house (when necessary) could take the signal to do with what they will. A simple sub cabinet that would handle the lows without crapping or sounding like someone hitting the wall with a hammer. Almost always in a club situation the snare and cymbals are just fine acoustically, but also almost ALWAYS the "umph" of the drumset is lacking. Does anybody know a fix without including an entire full range PA along with friggin' drumset? Can we drummers unite and scream hard enough to the MACKIES and JBL's of the world to show them there is a HUGE market for such an amp. Why do you think bass amps were invented at the onset of Rock'n Roll?.....

User Info Menu

I purchased a mic to hang over my set that plugs into our bass amp. You can even distort the sound on em so it's pretty cool. Don't know if that's what you were looking for but just a thought.

Welcome to DrumChat!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm with you PDA. All of what you mentioned is certainly an option and I've done some of that. Problem is... whatever you enhance, you haul!

Your best bet is to stay with a band that has a good PA and/or soundman.

User Info Menu

I use a Kustom 8 channel 4820 mixer with two 15" mains runs my eletronic and acustic kit all at the same time, pipe it in to the main board sit back and play.....You can look at that P/A at musicansfriends.com 599.99 with everything. Take a look see. Braxton
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    I'm with you PDA. All of what you mentioned is certainly an option and I've done some of that. Problem is... whatever you enhance, you haul!

Your best bet is to stay with a band that has a good PA and/or soundman.
    Also good point!!!! i do have to bring alot of stuff......
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

Drum mics and PA? Has anyone had the foresight to write a book? It could take volumes - no pun intended. Shure make a reasonably good starter kit for getting your drums mic'd and an 8 channel mixer is definitely handy.
    My new band appreciate hearing my high-hat groove through the mix. They say it helps them keep their tempo locked in.
    Depending on the venue, having your drums mic'd certainly adds value to your performance - provided of course that your performance is up to scratch!
    Mature rockin' Ludwiggy (but wigless, by avatar and pic!!)
    Drums: Ludwig
    Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom
    Heads: Remo Pinstripe and Evans
    Band: Snapshot