Thread: Tom heads and tuning

User Info Menu

Question Tom heads and tuning

Hey, I have a Tama Imperialstar set and I have remo pinstripe batter heads and stock rezos, and no matter how I try I cant get the mid-high punch I'm wanting, any suggestions? also, im looking at buying another set this Saturday, Its a cheaper mapex that I'm buying used mainly for the cymbals, but I still want a good sound, what would be a good head combo for it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom heads and tuning

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrNjz_U0ZM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrNjz_U0ZM[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    nice video
    thanks for sharring

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

pinstripes always sound better just above wrinkle.
    Myself personaly has never liked the sound of them tuned higher.
    depending how hard you hit
    a thin coated 2 ply 'if you hit hard
    or a nice coated sigle ply
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cm44 View Post
    Hey, I have a Tama Imperialstar set and I have remo pinstripe batter heads and stock rezos, and no matter how I try I cant get the mid-high punch I'm wanting, any suggestions? also, im looking at buying another set this Saturday, Its a cheaper mapex that I'm buying used mainly for the cymbals, but I still want a good sound, what would be a good head combo for it?
    try emperors, way more life to them than pins.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    am i the only one who thought bonhams sound was so-so?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    try emperors, way more life to them than pins.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    am i the only one who thought bonhams sound was so-so?
    No, I feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Calfskin, and crank them heads down.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKvwHfoW9M&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Lionel Hampton, the juggling drummer[/ame]
    :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

ji etched evans.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Try Evan's EC2's over Ec1 good combination. Another is Evan's G2's over G1's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Try Evan's EC2's over Ec1 good combination. Another is Evan's G2's over G1's.
    I might try G2 over G1 next.

User Info Menu

I realy enjoyed that video on the John Bonham kit. I was allways curious of what size drums, cymbals and heads he used. The tuning was another factor. Great video, the host Jeff did a good job at explaning and so did the young drummer used. .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cm44 View Post
    which mapex?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

I'm using EC2s over genera resos. I'd like to try EC resos then next time I change them. I was easily the loudest drummer the other night.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Tom heads and tuning

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I'm using EC2s over genera resos. I'd like to try EC resos then next time I change them. I was easily the loudest drummer the other night.
    Hey weezy you won't regret it the EC2's over EC reso is the greatest combination that I have used up to date. Believe me I have tried them all. Ambassador/Ambassador, G2's/Ambassadors, G2's/G1's, EC2/G1's and now EC2's/EC1's. You may want to try the EC frosted with reverse dot/Hazy 300 on the snare which sound perfect with EC's. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

MCX Man,
    Thanks for the endorsement on the EC reso. I imagine that there will be an increase in resonance with the heavier head. I'm pretty happy with the snare heads I'm using now. HD dry/hazy 300 on the maple and and ambassador x/hazy ambassador on the aluminum. I think I'll be sticking to clears on the toms. I'm playing ska, so I'm liking the slightly brighter attack.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Just my $0.02...I've tried a number of batter/resonant head combinations since the 1980s and I keep coming back to coated emperors over clear ambassadors for all my toms. I tried pinstripes and...well, never tried them again. I'm currently using the "Vintage" emperors on all my toms and both snare drums and am extremely pleased.

After watching that John Bonham tuning video, I can't help but wonder if I'd notice a difference if I switched the clear ambassadors for coated? Hmmm....

It all boils down to what your ears hear, I suppose.

Best of luck.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Tom heads and tuning

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    MCX Man,
    Thanks for the endorsement on the EC reso. I imagine that there will be an increase in resonance with the heavier head. I'm pretty happy with the snare heads I'm using now. HD dry/hazy 300 on the maple and and ambassador x/hazy ambassador on the aluminum. I think I'll be sticking to clears on the toms. I'm playing ska, so I'm liking the slightly brighter attack.
    You are welcome weezy.Yes I have that combination on my steel snare Genera HD/Hazy300 but found that combination not as good on my maple. EC frosted with reverse dot / Hazy 300 sounds real good on the maple. Good point of sticking to clear on toms.

User Info Menu

I use the Remo pins as well. I have tried a few different ideas using moon gels, and different tuning combination's, but have finally settled on my reso tuned medium, the batter tuned just below medium, with an Evans muffling ring. Nice deep rock thump with the tom still resonating, with minimal overtones. Tuning just below wrinkle that was mentioned sounds like hitting something wet.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 03-01-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

What have you tried in the way of tuning. For some reason my head is saying tighten up that reso head above the batter to. Reso heads seem to have a large play in the sound or at least i found that when i was mucking around with tunings ages ago.

If your going to change your skins, think about what it is you want. Resonate or deaden. To that you choose between the pinstripes or the clears...... the coated. Then how hard you hit as to how reinforced you need them. 1 ply 2 ply.

Thats how i pick my skins though. I think its a pretty sound way of choosing what you want.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, just an update, bought evans G2s for new batters, still saving for the G1s, never going back to pinstripes.