Thread: A big decision

User Info Menu

Exclamation A big decision

Hey, so I am a freshman in high school and we are determining placing for next year on drumline. Now, I am the best freshman and my director has told me to pick what I want to play, and he will make sure I get it. But, I have no idea if pick tenors or snare. So I would greatly appreciate some (unbiased) insight on this topic, considering I plan on playing for a college drumline in the future. Thanks a Bunch

User Info Menu

Default Re: A big decision

Carry 1 drum or carry 5 drums, that is the question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Carry 1 drum or carry 5 drums, that is the question.
    This. If you're a shorter person, I'd probably almost definitely do snare. Then again, if you can carry the quads, go for it.

It also depends on whether you like matched grip or traditional more. Try to get either the snare captain or someone who is good at snare (that might not necessarily mean everyone on the snare line. Then again, it might at your school) to watch you play sometime and see what they think. Since your director said you'd get a spot on whatever you want to play, this might not seem to matter, and it doesn't as much. Although, if you're better at one and have better stick control, then I'd say go for that one. It'll probably be easier and possibly more enjoyable in the long run.

From personal experience that is somewhat relevant - I, too, am a freshman and had originally planned to do snare. I was in the pit on the vibraphone this year, and was really good at it. However, a few weeks ago, even though I've been working on snare all year, one of my best friends (who is also coincidentally snare captain) taught me some basic stuff on quads and we found out that I'm A LOT better at quads, and it's more comfortable to play. Most likely because it's somewhat comparable to mallets, with moving around the drums and matched grip. So definitely try both out.

User Info Menu

Go for quads. IMHO they are more challenging, but more rewarding in the long run. It also has to do with what you prefer as far as grip, and if you can easily carry the tenors or not.

Hope this helps

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Reading this thread confused me when you guys talked about grips being different. Then i remembered, my school is like the only snare line that plays with matched grip still lol.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks for the insight, i was leaning towards snare because of the culture at our school being snare line=best players, but now I'm not so sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Reading this thread confused me when you guys talked about grips being different. Then i remembered, my school is like the only snare line that plays with matched grip still lol.
    mine does too still
    Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car? It took 4 hours to get the bass player out.

Tama Rockstar Series
    8x7"
    10x8"
    12x9"
    16x16
    22x18 bass
    13x6 snare
    ZBT 16'',18'',20''
    Tama IC jr. double pedals.

User Info Menu

Bass...:D

Lol, snare players would like to make it seem like they're the best players, but really, they just like to show off. Don't pick the drum because you think that it means that you're the best. Pick a drum you think would be the most fun to play. I picked bass since...well...I like crazy splits and grooves (bottom bass gets all the grooves). I considered tenors once, and made it, but switched back to bass because I liked bass so much. Snare is fun too though.

Between tenors and snare, just pick the one that looks fun. Would you like to do crazy ridiculous scrapes and awkward jumps between drums? Looking like you are doing the most work? Or would you like to show off and play inverted grandmas followed by a flam five eggbeater shirley murphy? Moving around the drums is fun, but so is playing the ridiculous rhythms (and saying them...).

Nevertheless, you can prove you're the best no matter what drum you play. I, even though I play bottom bass, can pretty much take over the snare or tenor part to most of the cadences and whatever else we play (maybe not the show, that'd take like a week of practice XD). Just play what you want to play, not what will make you look the best.

User Info Menu

i agree with tidus
    choose what you feel will be more fun. Each section has it's own fun factor.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RastaMasta View Post
    Thanks for the insight, i was leaning towards snare because of the culture at our school being snare line=best players, but now I'm not so sure!
    Yup, this was the case too back in day when I was in marching band...the lead snare ALWAYS was the leader of the section. Not only that but we marched in a lot of parades....needless to say snare is the wise choice!