Thread: help with intrest in drums

User Info Menu

Default help with intrest in drums

hey guys i need some help, i havent played my drums in about 2 weeks and have lost ALOT of speed and control and most importantly, intrest in playing them anymore. I still want to play but i feel discouraged because im not as good as i was 2 weeks ago. please help before i have lost total interest in the drums guys please
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Brush off the rust, youll get it back

User Info Menu

Yea dude dont sweat it play them for a couple hours you'll get your magic touch back.

User Info Menu

try learning something new like jazz or samba just something to give you the satisfaction again. this is just a suggestion and you sound like you do want to play but lacking motivation. maybe learning a new style will help. how long have you been playing for? another suggestion is to try and watch alot of live music and been inspired by the drums.

User Info Menu

I felt like that for a while and to be honest id just grit my teeth and carry on practicing. Also try playing along to an album you always really used to struggle with. Itll help show you that you are going forward.

User Info Menu

Drums are like life. You have your ups and downs. You can't let it discourage you. You don't really get slower, you just need to warm up a bit. Stay postive .

User Info Menu

hey metal, I just stopped drums for about a week and a half, and I when i was coming back i felt EXACTLY like you. It felt like I had lost some skill and speed within the week and a half I was away from the drums. But i just kept in mind that drumming is like your having mood swings so to speak lol. You love them, then you don't, then you do. So what i did was just practiced and played anyways and eventually i got into the habbit again. and two days ago was one of those "awsome awsome" drum jams you have. So that just proves to me, it does come back, just try and stay positive.

User Info Menu

If you stop playing, 5 years from now you're going to kick yourself in the arse........ Get back on the drum wagon and Keep practicing, in no time you will be right back where you need to be and probably doing even better then before. You have to keep pressing on or you'll never know what you can do, you may be the next Gadd or Peart. Practice makes perfect, there isn't a truer statement in the drum world in my opinion......... DC

User Info Menu

agreed!

User Info Menu

Dude....I took 2 YEARS off from drumming.....within a couple of months, I was right back where I left off. I never lost interest, though....I just really needed a break. I think a lot of it is muscle memory...you know, like a batter in baseball.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

thanks for the tips guys, they helped alot. I convinced myself to practice for literally 5 hours hours and got back alot of what i lost,(still lacking some what), i learned some new things ,got a little bit faster so there you have it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    hey metal, I just stopped drums for about a week and a half, and I when i was coming back i felt EXACTLY like you. It felt like I had lost some skill and speed within the week and a half I was away from the drums. But i just kept in mind that drumming is like your having mood swings so to speak lol. You love them, then you don't, then you do. So what i did was just practiced and played anyways and eventually i got into the habbit again. and two days ago was one of those "awsome awsome" drum jams you have. So that just proves to me, it does come back, just try and stay positive.
    you're right man, drumming is like life, you have your bad and good days, i just have to remember that. this is the first time its happened to me for this long. it felt good to get back on the set again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    try learning something new like jazz or samba just something to give you the satisfaction again. this is just a suggestion and you sound like you do want to play but lacking motivation. maybe learning a new style will help. how long have you been playing for? another suggestion is to try and watch alot of live music and been inspired by the drums.
    if've been playing for about 5 yrs but like i said this is the first time its happened to me for this long. I did learn some stuff during the 5 hour paratice, its not like i lost motivation but its like i felt discouraged to play, you know? thanks for the advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal forever
    if've been playing for about 5 yrs but like i said this is the first time its happened to me for this long. I did learn some stuff during the 5 hour paratice, its not like i lost motivation but its like i felt discouraged to play, you know? thanks for the advice
    no worries mate, anytime. its good to hear you are back on track.

User Info Menu

good to hear man, keep truckin

User Info Menu

yeah for me I'm in 2 bands so I have to play at least 3 times a week with band practices... if you can get in a band it really helps to keep you motivated i've found. as the whole band progresses you have to practice to keep up.

User Info Menu

i am in a band, we tour around CA every year and do gigs and such, been doing this for 2 yrs

User Info Menu

Cool help with interest in drums

Quote Originally Posted by Metal forever
    thanks for the tips guys, they helped alot. I convinced myself to practice for literally 5 hours hours and got back alot of what i lost,(still lacking some what), i learned some new things ,got a little bit faster so there you have it.
    Like you've seen already, you're gonna have up and downs with your drumming...but one thing to do is keep positive. Use a little imagination...picture yourself playin' the best you've ever played...in my case, when I practice with a recording, I picture myself jammin' with that particular band...sounds weird but it works...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanx again for the comments guys but now i have a new problem, one of my tom arms broke on my kind after four uears of nonstop use and if been every where trying to find a replacement and nobody has the right size for my kit, what should i do, have any of you had this problem before? please help.

User Info Menu

and im on a tight budget, and i mean tight!

User Info Menu

Cool help with interest in drums

Check with a dealer that sells your make of drum and give him the information you have on the part you need--or if you have a drummer buddy who knows his parts, he should be able to help you too!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck