Thread: Metronome

User Info Menu

Default Metronome

How many of you guys use a metronome behind your drums to start song tempos?

User Info Menu

Use it for drumline!

I practice out snare with a metronome, id never be able to hear it if i was on my set

User Info Menu

I'm not quit sure what you mean by song tempos, but i do use a metronome all the time.

User Info Menu

I use a metronome when im practicing on my pracice pad but not when im playing set cos i wouldnt be able to hear it.

User Info Menu

I usually only use a metronome when I am first learning a song or if I am recording. I use one that has a flashing red light because I can't hear it so being able to see it helps a lot.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I use a Korg MA-30 metronone. It has a headphone jack so that I can use it while I practice on the kit. I don't use it when I just feel like playing, though. I like to just feel the music in my head and go with that. I don't have too much trouble staying on a rhythm right now, but then my beats are still rather simple.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I don't use a metronome. I wish I had one but no matter what tempo I'm going at, I always know where the 2 and 4 beats are. I can hit those no matter what so I just build my beats around that.
    Now when I step out of 4/4 time...heh, then it gets hard :D
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I use metranomes when i multitrack songs. Its a hard skill but everyone should know it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i use it when recording certain things. and for settling arguements with my guitar player.

User Info Menu

I have 1 that has an LED that blinks with the click or without the click. I sometimes used it (with the LED only) before I count the band in on songs when I'm not really locked into what the tempo should be. I also play along with the metronome often when I'm practicing at home.

User Info Menu

After nearly 20 years of playing without one I recently picked one up so I could be certain I was always on time while recording (just did an album). I was terrified. Thought it would take me months to get used to a click. Actually only took me about 6 hours (2, 3 hour band practices) to be able to play with a click like I had been doing it for years. I'm so glad I did it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i use it when recording certain things. and for settling arguements with my guitar player.
    yeah i hear yea funky... accept my agruments dont get settled he thinks he doesn't need one

User Info Menu

Well I havent played many gigs but the times I have played, I have not used a click. When I practice though, I always use the metronome. When I recorded a couple of songs, I used the metronome too.

User Info Menu

I tried to record a little song we made up with my friend and you could here this little "chick" "chick" in the background

User Info Menu

You must have recorded the click somehow. Just figure out what went wrong and correct it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    I tried to record a little song we made up with my friend and you could here this little "chick" "chick" in the background
    It wasn't me

User Info Menu

i should of known.. you little mouse!

User Info Menu

i should of known.. you little mouse!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    After nearly 20 years of playing without one I recently picked one up so I could be certain I was always on time while recording (just did an album). I was terrified. Thought it would take me months to get used to a click. Actually only took me about 6 hours (2, 3 hour band practices) to be able to play with a click like I had been doing it for years. I'm so glad I did it.
    i made sure i turned down the volume, because my metrinome is on my computer, it actually fit the song sort of some how, well its to true that drum chick fits all songs

User Info Menu

i made sure i turned down the volume, because my metrinome is on my computer, it actually fit the song sort of some how, well its to true that drum chick fits all songs

User Info Menu

well,actually when you play a complete recorded track, it provides metronome by it self.
    I use metronome when i practice and when I am playing a track without drums off course...

User Info Menu

Larrie Londin once said that it helps to think of the click as just another player instead of a machine.

It also helped me to use a more musical sound for the metronome like a shaker, rather than a wood block or (ecchhh) cowbell.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

I think that's one of my strongest areas, keeping time and setting tempo. The only time I've ever thought about using my metronome was when my guitarist kept "insisting" I was the one off beat haha. It helped very much to prove him wrong.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i dont use one cuz i play odd sigs a lot or just set my time by rideing on the crash and crahsing out one two three four and keeping my bass playing 1 and 3
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I don't have a metronome but I think I should get one <_<
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered