Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crashing rides?? WHY??

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crashing rides?? WHY??

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockalternative View Post
    i love crashing on my a custom 21" sweet ride...
    +1

User Info Menu

I never crash my ride with force,But love the sound of lightly striking the edge of my ride with the side of the stick. It creates a nice smooth cool sounding, well sound. Jmho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    I crash my ride during one of my band's choruses, it's basically just an extra heavy, deep, gongy sorta crash that's really loud and pisses my parents off. I find myself crashing it more often than my 16" because I like a deeper sound. And either way its less awkward feeling to crash my ride while sitting normally, rather than having to readjust my entire body to hit my 16" once, then readjust it again to go back to my main. By readjust I mean turn my body and not just my arm. Its more of a comfort thing above all else, at least for me, anyways.
    doesnt drumming in general piss parents off? or is it just my parents...

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I crash my rides. Never broken one. Plus, have you ever crashed a 24" Light Ride? That alone is justification. It sounds like God. And God sounds pretty darned good.

I'll never stop. I refuse!
    i agree entirely. about the crashing rides, not the K ride. not lucky enough to say i own one but if you arent breaking them and it sounds good, why not?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Or! People in music videos sometimes have really stripped down kits and are miming parts they can't immitiate correctly, especially when the whole modern rock pop. Then all the kids watching... Monkey see, monkey do!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't crash a heavy ride unless I wanted some kind of gongy sound, but I would crash light and medium rides. The Meinl Byzance rides are very crashable, and they sound NICE as both a ride and a crash.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

24" k light ride. nuff said.
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

wellmixed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I never crash my ride with force,But love the sound of lightly striking the edge of my ride with the side of the stick. It creates a nice smooth cool sounding, well sound. Jmho
    Yeah, that's the way to do it.

I think you can get away with crashing rides hard effectively if you play in a REALLY loud band.

User Info Menu

I don't think (or at least I hope that this is not the case) that any of us crashing our rides are under the illusion that it sounds like a crash. But drumming is all about creativity, and if you stay rigidly within the bounds of what is expected from a particular implement then this would be a pretty boring occupation in my opinion. I've seen people using circular saw blades as bell/chime type effects - I would hope that no drummer ever went up to them and said "Hey! That's a saw blade, that's only to be used for sawing stuff!". Same with crashing your ride, particularly if you're not (and I believe that I am not) breaking it in the process. But even if you are breaking it, as long as you are aware that you are doing so, who is anyone to say what you can and can't do to get interesting sounds out of your kit?
    GRETSCH - crush - Sabian - DW - promark

"Aint nobody gonna argue with a bus!"

www.fireproofmatch.com - Free EP Download.

User Info Menu

I think you can hit any cymbal any way you want. If you like the sound you get out of it when you crash the ride, or ride the crash, or crash the hi-hat, or ride a splash or whatever then I say go for it. Lots of drummers crash on ride cymbals and it sounds great.

As far as breaking cymbals go, my opinion is that anything you hit as it's chief use is going to break eventually.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iamanidiot View Post
    I don't think (or at least I hope that this is not the case) that any of us crashing our rides are under the illusion that it sounds like a crash. But drumming is all about creativity, and if you stay rigidly within the bounds of what is expected from a particular implement then this would be a pretty boring occupation in my opinion. I've seen people using circular saw blades as bell/chime type effects - I would hope that no drummer ever went up to them and said "Hey! That's a saw blade, that's only to be used for sawing stuff!". Same with crashing your ride, particularly if you're not (and I believe that I am not) breaking it in the process. But even if you are breaking it, as long as you are aware that you are doing so, who is anyone to say what you can and can't do to get interesting sounds out of your kit?
    +1

I dont think there should be ANY rules when it comes to drumming. If it sounds good then do it.

That said, pearsonally for me I find it a little annoying when drummers crash rides ALOT.
    I do a bit myself but I more so bash (hard but not super hard) the top of the ride with the side of the stick sometimes for an agressive and washy ride sound, Not really crashing the edge, but I even do that a little sometimes.

Even more annoying to me is when tons of drummers bash ride their crashes ALOT.
    Its nothing new, I've been doing it sparingly forever but its gotten out of hand nowadays.
    IMO in general, riding rides and crashing crashes is a much more clean way to go sound wise for the majority of the time.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonebreak View Post
    i only ride on my ride. No crashing for me. My aax rbdr is too heavy, and sounds bad when crashed.
    +1

User Info Menu

My ride isnt the best for crashing, anyway. I want to upgrade it to something crashable, i.e. a 22" sabian omni, . And tah my parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I use a ride as a dedicated crash; I find it much more dynamic.

Thinner cymbals (crashes and splashes) I find have a narrow volume range. The ride as a crash gives me more volume than a labelled "crash", a sustained wash, and can offer subtler accents than a paper-thin 17", or most 18" I've owned. I have yet to see any problems with cracking.

Worked for Sunny Day Real Estate's William Goldsmith- "as long as they aren't too thick and shrill[...] you can almost surf on them".

Pick the right piece of gear for the application. If I were playing prog rock and needed quick decay, then smaller crashes are in order. For sweeping, atmospheric wash, or to stoke the fire in a thrashy setting, a ride is a wonderfully dynamic thing.

I also found it amusing that rides as crashes work particularly well for me in low-volume settings. More mass to excite and produce soundwaves requires more energy input: Bigger cymbals need more whack to make loud boom. Soft whack on big cymbal and small cymbal, with whack beign equal, I've found is quieter on big cymbal.
    Last edited by MrB; 01-30-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skillful Kai View Post
    Or! People in music videos sometimes have really stripped down kits and are miming parts they can't immitiate correctly, especially when the whole modern rock pop. Then all the kids watching... Monkey see, monkey do!
    Except there are those that actually do play stripped-down kits and crash the ride such as Chris Cester of Jet (uses a Zildjian K 20" and a pair of New beats.. that's it.) or John Hartman of Fit for Rivals (Meinl Byzance). Then of course there's Arejay Hale who crashes his hats by kicking them with his foot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-b-t6RCvc"]YouTube - Fit For Rivals - "Crash" HD[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYgoejO3ac"]YouTube - Halestorm - It's Not You (Video)[/ame]
    Last edited by davewilson; 01-30-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    My ride isnt the best for crashing, anyway. I want to upgrade it to something crashable, i.e. a 22" sabian omni, . And tah my parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    Siggin that haha.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

There are lots of situations (like jazz) where crashing on the ride or riding on a crash is perfectly normal and acceptable. I personally don't enjoy the sound of crashing on a heavy ride cymbal in all-out rock situations but to each his own. Some of the lighter ride cymbals actually sound good being crashed on though.

As far as cracking and breaking, just like most cymbals it's due to bad technique that is sometimes the result of using the wrong cymbal for the job. I've said it before, but lots of drummers try to force sound out of their cymbals by smashing it into oblivion rather than playing the cymbal that suits the sound they're looking for.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=tah821;359821]doesnt drumming in general piss parents off? or is it just my parents...[QUOTE]

Nope... same here.

I think if it sounds good... use it.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I never crash my rides. They always sound like gongs to me. Never had one thin enough to make a decent crash. That being said, I do crash my AA RBDR when I need a gong sound since I don't have a gong.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Everyone! My main crash is a ride and it sounds amazing! Meinl Byzance Medium Thin Jazz ride, washy and trashy and big, it's perfect.

User Info Menu

at my first gig my ride got knocked over and its out of shape and now doesnt sound as good as it used to :( it used to sound magnificent but yeah getting knocked over btw 20' AA ride i used to love it now its just there
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Locky305 View Post
    at my first gig my ride got knocked over and its out of shape and now doesnt sound as good as it used to :( it used to sound magnificent but yeah getting knocked over btw 20' AA ride i used to love it now its just there
    Ugh, that sucks!

User Info Menu

Yoda, you put that very well. I have a 20" medium ride, and a 20" A Custom crash. The ride gives me a different sound, sometimes I use it as a 3rd crash in a faster fill other times, i can use it as a very unique sound, I know it's not healthy for the cymbal, but I do get a cool sound from it.

Here's a video of a show I played a few months ago in Minneapolis MN, you can definately tell that the ride has a different atmosphere than a crash, I use that to create, like yoda said, a more full/messy sound as apposed to obvius attacks on a crash. Hope this helps, and as always, this just my opinion. HA That's why music is awesome, nobody's wrong, ha within reason i suppose.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Av2B4pSEEY"]YouTube - Fades Away CD Release Show at Pickle Park![/ame]

well i tried to post the video but i can't figure it out ha sorry here's the link!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I crash my ride, but it's not something I do a lot. I really only do it when I need to create a lot of noise to embiggen the sound of my playing for a particular part.

User Info Menu

I firmly believe that the cymbal designations are completely arbitrary.

I ride crashes, crash rides, use splashes as crashes, crashes and splashes as hats. Why not?

As for breaking cymbals. coming up 45 years drumming...haven't broken one yet.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I believe the ONLY ride that's truly unable to be crashed effectively is Roy Mayorga's prototype 24"Anvil" ride. Absolutely no wash, just a cutting ping. It's nearly piercing... I was so glad when Stone Sour ended because that ride gave me the biggest headache ever... And i love Roy and Stone Sour, so that's saying something
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave