Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crashing rides?? WHY??

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crashing rides?? WHY??

cymbals are cymbals. period.

each one sounds different and can be used for anything. cymbals break due to abuse, bad technique, or being "overworked."

you can "crash" any cymbal and "ride" any cymbal.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Those who say that crash-ride cymbals are good at neither have not heard a good one or desire almost all ping and little wash in a ride. Some cymbals made to be crash-rides work well, while others do not. I once bought a Sabian AA 18 inch Crash Ride cymbal. The ride sound was weak, and the crash sound was higher pitched than most 16 inch crashes. I also once bought a Sabian AA 18 inch El Sabor. The crash sound was excellent, the bell sound was the best I have ever heard, and the ride sound was quite good. I play a Sabian HHX Evolution Ride at church, and it is both a good ride and a good crash. To get ping I have to play it closer to the bell. My Sabian AA 21 inch Bash Ride is described on the Sabian website as the crash-ride version of the raw bell dry rides. It is the best ride I have ever played. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

My thought is; it's not as if there are no crash/rides out there that sound good for both riding and crashing but that they are probably few and far between. Otherwise, you would hear more positive feedback on them. I've got a ride cymbal that I use for jazz that's sold as a ride but it happens to work for crashing too so technically, it could have been sold as a ride/crash. My bet is they didn't label it that way because it may not have sold as well.

User Info Menu

And my 2 cents regarding my (1st) 18" Zildjian crash/ride being a great early Beatles ride analog (washy beyond what a 60's mic could handle with Ringo's stick technique at the time) and that I love the 18"er's wash on endings when I culminate with a frenzy on the 16" X 14" tom while simultaneously wailing the bottom of the crash/ride...is simply a statement that "compromises" by definition can NOT be the peak of either side's goal.
    That said I do sort of crash my 22" Sabian heavy ride or at least do accents on it. I will intersperse little mid ride pattern accents by lightly striking the cymbal with as close to just below the tip of the stick as I can just past halfway out the bow from the bell making a beautiful little ching/chang. It's by no means a full on crash strike but it's not purely riding either and it's pretty noticeable. It's easy to catch a hair too much shoulder of the stick and over chang/clang but when I catch it just thin enough it's a hugely rewarding sound.

So I think I have a very good crash/ride... it's just not a superior do-all on either front.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 07-25-2021 at 09:49 AM.