Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new drum throne

User Info Menu

Default Time for a new drum throne

My $30 Sound percussion throne just fell apart on my today so I figure its time to buy a new one. I really want to get something that is super comfortable, maybe one that has a backrest. I have $200 to spend so I was thinking of maybe getting a Pork Pie Gel Throne. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Any other suggestions are welcome
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Time for a new drum throne

Rock-N-Soc
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

The Sound Percussion Embroidered throne is extremely nice and only $90.

I love mine.

It has the mount for a backrest but I dont have one.

This sucker is extremely comfortable, and as far as how long it will last, I'm not sure but it looks and feels very stout.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 01-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Get one with the gas lift. Roc-N-Soc has one, and they are soooooo comfortable! Like an office chair.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post

I love mine.

This sucker is extremely comfortable, and as far as how long it will last, I'm not sure but it looks and feels very stout.
    I've had that same throne for about 6 years. In my opinion you really can't beat it for the money. Durable, very comfortable, has the option for a backrest....what more could you ask for from tha throne?

User Info Menu

I love mine.

Get one of those if you have the means to. The studio my band recorded in had one. It was the most comfortable thing I ever sat on.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

+1 on the Sound Percussion. Im buying myself one soon.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

dave0549jv Guest

+2 on the SP. I'm happy with mine too. for the money, it's a good deal.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar 9600 series with moto style seat and a back rest works for me.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreak View Post
    Get one with the gas lift. Roc-N-Soc has one, and they are soooooo comfortable! Like an office chair.
    Until the gas cylinder/seals go bad...then it's trash. Stick with a manual seat adjustment regardless of the brand and save a little money. I just don't see the need to spend more money on something that has a better chance of failing and becoming virtually worthless. Also, once you adjust the manual throne to your desired height, you basically lock it in and no need to adjust it again. IMO I just got a Roc-N-Soc for Christmas. It doesn't have the back yet. But I will be getting one for it eventually. Regardless, I can highly recommend this one for its comfort.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

You have two and only two choices for high quality thrones.

Roc-n-Soc or Pork Pie. I have a Pork Pie

It's amazingly comfy, and it was $50 less than the air lift roc-n-soc thingy.

Nothing compares to the thrones from those two companies. Hands down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockalternative View Post
    You have two and only two choices for high quality thrones.

Roc-n-Soc or Pork Pie. I have a Pork Pie

It's amazingly comfy, and it was $50 less than the air lift roc-n-soc thingy.

Nothing compares to the thrones from those two companies. Hands down.
    I think the good people at Pearl, Tama, DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Sonor, Mapex, Sound Percussion, and many others might disagree.

The base of that PP throne looks exactly like the SP throne, except for the black paint on the SP.
    Hmmmm?, same factory?, you think?.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 01-30-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I think the good people at Pearl, Tama, DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Sonor, Mapex, Sound Percussion, and many others might disagree.

The base of that PP throne looks exactly like the SP throne, except for the black paint on the SP.
    Hmmmm?, same factory?, you think?.
    No idea. I know Pork Pie likes to keep things in house, though. The cushion itself is unrivaled, except by the Roc-n-soc. I know many drummers who share my opinion.

User Info Menu

I'm wondering how many of these are actually variations on the same throne and are OEM'd by the individual companies...?

Does anyone know the answer? I've only ever owned 3-4 thrones in all my years of drumming, so I haven't experienced much variety in that arena.

User Info Menu

You can't really go wrong with Pork Pie or Roc N Soc, but all the major drum companies make some pretty nice ones.

Got this TAMA 1st Chair off CL for $20

User Info Menu

Roc & Soc Nitro the most comfortable seat I have ever owned. Backrest option but I do not have one. I got it 4 years ago and the gas shock absorber still works great. Easiest to adjust with a lever up or down just like a desk or computer chair. Get one it is worth the money.

User Info Menu

Ironically, I just saw this in my local Cleveland Craigslist. This is copied and pasted from the actual ad.

"Roc-N-Soc Throne (The hydraulic lift is broken but still is very sturdy and amazingly comfortable) - 50"

I'm not saying that the lift is a terrible feature. I actually contemplated getting the Nitro, but got the manual adjusting Roc-N-Soc model instead. I just wanted to throw this out there for awareness as others have done before. The ad states that it's amazingly comfortable (And they are), but you can't adjust the height of it. Kind of defeats its purpose.
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    You can't really go wrong with Pork Pie or Roc N Soc, but all the major drum companies make some pretty nice ones.

Got this TAMA 1st Chair off CL for $20

Wow! $20? Thats brilliant I wish we had a decent CL in the UK!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    Gibraltar 9600 series with moto style seat and a back rest works for me.

sk
    If I'm not mistaken, the 9600 is a close copy or even a revamp of a bike-style seat Ludwig have or used to have in their catalogue....the backrest part is the same shape, the screw-thread height adjustment is pretty much the same, only it has a Gibraltar branded tripod base and the fact that the seat is cordura material and vinyl....the Ludwig one is only vinyl. I know, as I had one for a good decade before I started using Tama thrones.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I got my Roc-N-soc manual spindle with backrest for 160$ ! You'll save 40$ that you can spend elsewhere...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Thanks for this thread. I was just recently thinking that it is time for a new throne for myself. I have been sitting on the same Tama throne for the last 25 years! It's actually still in great shape. My butt bones have made some permanent indentions to the cushion. If I don't sit on it the same way every time, it doesn't feel right, haha! I'm looking at the Pork Pie tops just to replace the cushion part. $100 just for the top is almost hard to think of, but I'll probably still do it cause they just look comfortable.
    SD
    Premier Genista kit - (2) 16"x22" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 16", 18", 5" Brass piccolo - assortment of Sabian AA, AAX & HandHammered cymbals - Gibraltor rack - DW 5000 & 7000 pedals - DW 5000 cable hi-hat

Sonar A2E kit Force 2003 converted to Vdrums - Roland TDW-20 - Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

Pearl D2000 is the most comfortable I have ever played on, but if you gig a lot, its less portable and kind of heavy to transport, so I later went for a or D900, very comfortable with 'memory foam' and easier to lug around. Both less than $200. Tama makes neat stuff too. But all arses are different, so you have to try them out for best results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Ironically, I just saw this in my local Cleveland Craigslist. This is copied and pasted from the actual ad.

"Roc-N-Soc Throne (The hydraulic lift is broken but still is very sturdy and amazingly comfortable) - 50"

I'm not saying that the lift is a terrible feature. I actually contemplated getting the Nitro, but got the manual adjusting Roc-N-Soc model instead. I just wanted to throw this out there for awareness as others have done before. The ad states that it's amazingly comfortable (And they are), but you can't adjust the height of it. Kind of defeats its purpose.
    It's usually the adjustment clutch that's bad... and they sell all the parts so it's not the end of the world if something is worn/broken.

My gas throne is going on 4 years old with no probs
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc Lunar. Gas shock with no bouncing. 5 legs, very sturdy. 3 years no problems.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    That is the exact throne I want. It is beyond comfortable!
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne