Thread: Nady mics?

User Info Menu

Default Nady mics?

Hi guys,

Im in the market for a nice set of mics. A kick drum mic, a snare mic, and overheads, i dont think i'll need tom mics just yet anyway.

BUT...

I saw a deal on musiciansfriend for a 7 piece set of nady brand drum mics (3 toms, 1 snare, 1 kick, 2 overheads) for real cheap. According to reviews, they are supposed to be very good for the money. Does anybody have experience with nady because im a bit skeptical about it.

Thanks,
    Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

wellmixed Guest

Default Re: Nady mics?

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Does anybody have experience with nady because im a bit skeptical about it.
    If they are like most Nady mics, they suck. The only decent Nady mics I've heard are the wireless lavs for live and broadcast.

I'd recommend getting an MXL 603s pair for overheads, and Shure SM57 for snare.

There are really only 3 nice choices for versatile kick mics: Shure Beta52a, AKG D112, and Audix D6.

This is going on the assumption that you really mean "nice" when you say "nice set." If you just need to get the job done now then Nady, OSP, or anything else will suffice.

Hope that advice helps. Take care and have a good one.

User Info Menu

what ive got at the minute is
    AKG D112 on the kick, Behringer C2 for overheads and Shure SM57 for snare mic

because nady mics arent very good
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I have noticed a lot of posts about which mics are good etc. Go with the standards, audix, sure. The true difference in sound will come with room acoustics, preamps, and conversion. A 4,000 dollar Neuman u87 will sound like garbage running through a cheap preamp and converter, However a sm57 can sound magical on a high end preamp, good converter and good room acoustics. So when you hear everyone tell you how all of these recording were done with sm57's etc; remember this..... That sm57 was going through some really good high end preamps, and converters in a killer recording environment.

So what am I saying.... Tackle your room acoustics, it will help ANY mic and recording; and the mic is a smaller variable in the equation.

User Info Menu

You can't make a bad mic sound good. I would stay away fron the Nady's. I bought a Nady kick mic a few years ago and it is horrible. It is still new in the box. Set it up, heard it, and took it down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    You can't make a bad mic sound good. I would stay away fron the Nady's. I bought a Nady kick mic a few years ago and it is horrible. It is still new in the box. Set it up, heard it, and took it down.
    I use a NADY kick mic, but I also use one of these and it works for live to a degree...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I have noticed a lot of posts about which mics are good etc. Go with the standards, audix, sure. The true difference in sound will come with room acoustics, preamps, and conversion. A 4,000 dollar Neuman u87 will sound like garbage running through a cheap preamp and converter, However a sm57 can sound magical on a high end preamp, good converter and good room acoustics. So when you hear everyone tell you how all of these recording were done with sm57's etc; remember this..... That sm57 was going through some really good high end preamps, and converters in a killer recording environment.

So what am I saying.... Tackle your room acoustics, it will help ANY mic and recording; and the mic is a smaller variable in the equation.
    I don't use mics for recording accept the occasional band vid. What about live? I have never used/owned a pre-amp. Do I need one? What's a converter?

User Info Menu

I have heard good things about that Earthworks Kick Pad.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack this thread, but a preamp is a device that takes the very weak signal sent out by a mic and increases it to "line level" which is the industry standard for signal strength which is used to run through circuitry in amplifiers for PA's or for converters going into computers for recording (a converter takes the line level analog signal and turns it into a digital signal) or to tape (old school). The preamp also will "color the sound" imparting certain sonic characteristics. Oh and phantom power is not the same as a preamp. Phantom power supplies power to the guts of certain mics that require juice.

User Info Menu

so does a mixer have a preamp? since it has a gain, i would imagine that it does.
    or do i need to buy more junk?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

depends on the mixer, but yes most have preamps built in.

User Info Menu

So I do have a pre-amp.... Ok, I learn something new every sixth Wednesday of the month...