Thread: Different types of cowbells

User Info Menu

Default Different types of cowbells

Can someone explain the different types of cowbells out there for latin music? There are so many different pitches and tones to choose from. What are the different pitches used for? What makes one pitch good for a salsa, but not good for a samba or what have you? Is there a chart that says between this length and this length is a "mambo" cowbell and between this and this is a "cha-cha"?

Thanks,

Tanner

User Info Menu

Default Re: Different types of cowbells

Welcome to Drumchat!
    I hope ratamycue doesn't see this.
    I use a rock ridge rider. I don't know any other choice. I suggest you too get a LP. They have different models.
    Make sure you check out newbie initiation.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I have a 5 3/4" LP cowbell, and wish I would have gotten a bigger, deeper sounding cowbell. The ridge rider is a good one.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Snare Tan. Great question, I hope to see this thread grow for a learning experience.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As I already own two cowbells myself, I just chose them based on what I thought of the sound and what I could afford. There wasn't much thought other than that. I would like to make better decisions for authenticity of sound in the future.

I am more looking to know the different sizes and such as to why one size is for one style of music and one size is another.

Is it a sin to play a rhumba with a cha-cha cowbell? Are there specific parts played with a higher pitch cowbell that aren't played on lower cowbells (Similar to the difference in parts between a bass and lead guitar)?

Thanks,

Tan

User Info Menu

I have several various bells and I recommend the JCR bells from Latin Rhythm Trader. At JCR Cali is an old school hand builder of some of the best bells that LP has copied for their Salsa line.

I also recommend listening to the bells before buying anytime you can. The bells vary wildly. Two bells of the same type can have completely different qualities. Bells are much like cymbals and each is unique.

Bells have not been completely standardized. Cha-Cha is usually smaller and Mambo is larger. A Bongo bell is a handbell that does not have a monting point for hardware.

Old cowbells from farms and Ludwig vintage bells are great too.

Keep it fun,

Jerry Bembe

User Info Menu

When doing samba rhythms (playing along with another kit drummer) agogo bells are really the things to have. I've a nice cheap pair made by Dixon that I include amongst my various cowbells with my timbales set ups. But when doing cha-cha type rhythms, I find it's best to have 3 cowbells....a mambo bell (large), a medium to smaller one, and a small high-pitched one (tapon). I'll post a pic of the whole range of cowbells I have.

The normal size timbales I have are made by a Brazilian company called Mano Percussion, so I use the mambo bell supplied with that, the middle sized cowbell is a very old LP one and the smallest is a small sized Tama cowbell - nice, high pitched and very "dry". Usually I also add one or two LP Jam Blocks to the set up too, as well as the agogo bells. Oh, amongst the others I have is an Afro Percussion brand "tri-bells"....three flat looking agogo bells arranged side to side. More pics to come.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-01-2011 at 05:54 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The best advice I can give you is to first buy a phenolic cowbell beater and take it with you when buying the cowbell. Like Jerry said ,no 2 bells of the same size and shape will sound alike. So is a process of hit and listen until you find 1 that satisfy your taste, that is the reason to why taking your beater to purchase.

Jcrs come in Low pitch for conjunto style playing,also they come in medium low,medium and high pitch for a full band style. To play inside clubs I prefer medium low or medium. To play ouside it is better a high pitch.

Lp makes a variety also but some of them do not project with good volume.
    Meinl also have their own style of bells.

Others are make in Colombia by 3A percussion, HR El Piernas and Colombia percussion.

I prefer JCRs although I have 2 made by 3A. Also you can change the bell sound by placing a piece of rubber inside the bells mouth, look for a position that muffles the sound to your like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    Bells have not been completely standardized. Cha-Cha is usually smaller and Mambo is larger. A Bongo bell is a handbell that does not have a monting point for hardware.
    Thanks for the help guys. This is along the lines of what I was looking for.

So what is "Timbale", "Salsa" and "Tapon"?

Looks like Timbale bells are generally the biggest thus I'd assume the deepest. I would assume they are used as the primary bell for a set of Timbales.

Thanks again,

Tanner

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Tan........

I agree with Jerry and Caballoballo, let your ears decide which bell you want next, its all about the pitch / tone that sounds best to you.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

So just to confirm, it wouldn't be a latin music sin to play the wrong bell with a specific style of music?

Thanks for the help guys.

Tan

User Info Menu

Tan,

Follow your heart and ears with bell selection. If you are true to yourself, all of the rest will fall into line.

Just listen with BIG EARS and it is all good!