Thread: Noob that had the head question... now onto something different!

User Info Menu

Default Noob that had the head question... now onto something different!

OK... so last night I was snooping on a real popular classified site and found a set of CP congas, 9" and 10", but these are from the mid 1990s with old school hardware and very nice sounding heads and the stand is an LP with castors that lock. I got a good deal and had to have em cause It was 50% more than new heads and so far I think they sound very good. But the odd thing is that the small one is tuned to like C# and the larger one to Eb. higher than the small one. But like I said... I'm totally new to this. Can someone give me a suggestion as to what pitch to tune them? We are playing a mixture of contemporary christian and some older eagles/beatles stuff.. coffee shop music. I'd sure appreciate your input! Thanks for the forum!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Noob that had the head question... now onto something different!

Great find! I personally love those old CPs and they are a close second ro the Matadorsfrom that era.

Below is a link to an interesting tuning guide from Gon Bops.

http://www.latinrhythmtraders.com/html/congatuning.html

There are many options here and the 9" is off the chart but I would estimate the range is in between A and E.

These are only suggestions. If it is tuned too high the tone will sound a bit choked.

I personally like the Remo heads because they do not need constant retuning like skins. The Remos need dampening often for overtones but afterwards they are very close to skin in tone. Also easier on the hands and wear for years.

Google search and you will find many different tuning styles.

I recomend to find where the 9" sounds best first then tune the 10" four steps down of the key you are tuning in. For example E 9" and G 10", D 9" and F# 10".

Only suggestions here. You can tune by ear too. One thing to look out foris to evenly distribute the pressure on the heads so the skins do not get pulled too much to one side of the shell.

To evenly tune your heads I suggest to rough tune the head to your taste. Muffle the center of the head and tap the head near the lugs around the drum. Often there will be variation of tone around the head. Fine tune the head to equal out the head tuning.

Enjoy what you play and play what you enjoy.

User Info Menu

I can tell that I have much to learn. One of our band guys just suggested that we also consider adding a cajon to the inventory. I'm thinking "let me get a handle on these first" but I love a challenge. Thanks for as much help as you can give me!!

User Info Menu

B flat and D.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    I can tell that I have much to learn. One of our band guys just suggested that we also consider adding a cajon to the inventory. I'm thinking "let me get a handle on these first" but I love a challenge. Thanks for as much help as you can give me!!
    That's where the fun comes in. The journey.
    Good luck and have a blast getting there!
    Signature here